Brake rotors

Big Al

Well the whole way to nationals this year, my car shimmied every time I hit the brakes. New ceramic pads so I'm guessing the rotors are shot from sitting. Since I won't be doing much driving at the moment, I'd like to see what your thoughts are on A.) The shimmy in the wheel when I hit the brakes and B.) recommendations on the rotors to get (if that's the problem). I was thinking I wanted to get drilled and slotted but not sure if that's a good route to go or not. Either way let me know what you think the issue might be. The shimmy only happens when coming down from the higher speeds (Above 30 usually is most prominent) and shakes the steering wheel back and forth pretty good. Any more info you need just ask.

Well the whole way to nationals this year, my car shimmied every time I hit the brakes. New ceramic pads so I'm guessing the rotors are shot from sitting. Since I won't be doing much driving at the moment, I'd like to see what your thoughts are on A.) The shimmy in the wheel when I hit the brakes and B.) recommendations on the rotors to get (if that's the problem). I was thinking I wanted to get drilled and slotted but not sure if that's a good route to go or not. Either way let me know what you think the issue might be. The shimmy only happens when coming down from the higher speeds (Above 30 usually is most prominent) and shakes the steering wheel back and forth pretty good. Any more info you need just ask.

HEY, I PUT DRILLED/SLOTTED ROTORS F/R ON MY 87 WITH GREAT RESULTS NO NOISE ,NO FADE ,AND THEY LOOK GOOD ALSO!!,YOUR SHIMMY SOUNDS LIKE WARPED ROTORS NO DOUBT GOOD LUCK 007FUSE

My rortors were warped so bad you could see it...and it did the same thing. Replaced them...work great.

Also...with ceramic pads...expect your rotors to warp. Ceramic gets hot...very hot...

Brake real hard and run through a puddle...and, warp goes the rotor

What warps them real bad is doing a hard stop (getting them real hot) and not taking your foot off the brake after you are stoped. The super heated pad stays in contact with the rotor and superheats just that area of the rotor. You get differential expansion of the rotor and it warps just a little. Do that enough times and you can get really warped real fast.

Ok so sounds like warpy warped rotors but now how about a good reliable rotor? pricing and companies? Anyone have the info? Trying to do this on a budget since I think I want to do the bearings at the same time and I'm unemployed and not receiving benefits yet.

Have the slotted/drilled rotors and ceramic pads and ss brake lines from Irotors on Ebay. Got them for both SQ's and the Grand Am. On the SQ's they have worked great- better stopping, looks and I have yet to get a shimmy.

Our Grand Am had sucky brakes. We'd have to replace or turn the rotors at least once a year because they'd warp. It's been over 2 years now since we've had them on the Grand Am, and not only does it stop better, but the rotors have yet to show even the slightest shimmy.

That tells me they're at least 2X better than regular ones.

Personally I hate the cross drilled rotors. After a while you get brake dust built up in the holes and start getting squeeks. Stay away from NAPA rotors... they ALWAYS need turning before installing because they come out of the box warped.

I suggest Bendix throu Advance Auto. Never had any problems with them.

Yeah, I like the stock replacement rotors just fine. Keep in mind that these cars were #1 in braking for their class compared to all other cars.

I wouldn't worry much about the brakes unless you are racing auto cross or building a show car.

I'd like to think eventually she'll be a show car. It's a work in progress but the shimmy HAS to go. I'll check out the irotors. I already have the star orion brake lines I just want to get the rotors and bearings and do everything at once instead of installing lines now, taking the wheels apart later and doing rotors, then again to do bearings.

Usually you can feel warped rotors pulsate the brake petal and not just at high speeds. So you might have some slop in your steering system that is accentuated when braking at high speeds. Also could be a loose hub or worn wheel bearings.

If your on a budget just get them turned. Its usually around $10 per rotor. If they are too warped or not warped at all they will tell you.

Looks like rockauto.com has some for about $20 ea.