Main Bearing ROLL OUT Pins

Back in the '60's and '70's when you bought a set of engine main bearings Some of the bearing manufacturers would supply a main upper bearing roll out capped pin.

This pin's stem was round and would just fit in the main bearing oil feeder hole on the crank. The top of the stem had a square cap on it that was slightly less in thickness than the upper main bearing shell. And this capped pin was made of a heavy duty hard greyish looking nylon.

It was really easy to roll out the upper main bearing shells with the the engine in the car and crank in the block, using this capped pin. Cuz all you had to do was put the capped pin in the crank main bearing oiler hole and SLOWLY rotate the crank in the correct direction and "magically" the upper shell rolled out. B) :D

You also used it to roll the upper shells back into the engine block's bearing saddles too, once you got 'em started.

It made removing and installing upper main bearing shells in the block twice as fast than using an old bearing shell as a "pusher outer or pusher inner." :thumbsup:

I have asked around about getting this handy little gadgit but noone seems to know what I'm talking about. :confused0024:

So I'll ask you guys if you have seen these and what a source is (vender) for buying them.

I want to roll my main bearings out to check them. This gadgit would make it a lot easier.

Another example of getting old - no one knows WTH you're talking about. :crutches:

For What It's Worth.

And Thanks In Advance.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

the new tool is actually made by winchester, or whatever your favorite supplier of 22 cal shells is. a spent 22 cal shell works perfectly. i keep one in my tool box just for this. i dont remember but you may even use the whole shell- unspent, but seems more logical to use the spent one.

Blast from the past... LOL

Ken, at this point I would say just pull that motor out.

I'm 50 and would rather be looking down at the block in an engine stand instead of on my back looking up at it.

Dad