S256 low boost tune

Just got done at the tuners Friday and we got what I consider pretty good numbers without even using the boost controller. It'll get tuned for higher boost after I check out the clutch since the throwout bearing seems to be making noise. Just in case it's something worse, I don't want a 300hp + grenade going off.

Dyno graph coming if I can get the scanner to work. It's spooling quickly to 10psi at around 3100rpms...but still a bit slower than the internal wastegate did. Unfort. the turbo flows too much for boost to be controllable internally. In fact its even creeping up a bit from 4500rpms and up, but not too bad, reaching 12psi by 6000rpm.

Like most dynos seen around here, (even the big boys with more aggressive cams), the hp & torque is dropping off from max after around 5200rpms, so I'm not too concerned with this minimal 3psi creep.

Just got done at the tuners Friday and we got what I consider pretty good numbers without even using the boost controller. It'll get tuned for higher boost after I check out the clutch since the throwout bearing seems to be making noise. Just in case it's something worse, I don't want a 300hp + grenade going off.

Dyno graph coming if I can get the scanner to work. It's spooling quickly to 10psi at around 3100rpms...but still a bit slower than the internal wastegate did. Unfort. the turbo flows too much for boost to be controllable internally. In fact its even creeping up a bit from 4500rpms and up, but not too bad, reaching 12psi by 6000rpm.

Like most dynos seen around here, (even the big boys with more aggressive cams), the hp & torque is dropping off from max after around 5200rpms, so I'm not too concerned with this minimal 3psi creep.

What hot side are you running?

I think it's .63, that's why you're making so much power with such little boost, because it's still not maxing out the head. Nice numbers though for such little boost. It's almost like a 4g63.

I bet the header and short route I/C piping help a bunch as well.

Edited by Technology

Link: 200-100-2 comp and 210-100-4 exh turbine options

The head is getting maxed out at 5200rpms. If you look at the dyno graphs from the 300+ hp sticky thread, most everybody's hp & torque are dying off after that rpm area....even the monster cam guys, although they hang up there with less steep of a dropoff. Mine's only the TEP* street/strip head cam. Not too hardcore a setup, but a bit better than stock (maybe not the cam).

*disclaimer, it was 2nd hand with super low miles - I do not support TEP.

With the sound this turbo makes, the wastegate dump really doesn't make it any louder. =)

Gremlin, AR is only a % of the steepness of the "funnel" of a compressor/turbine. I was told its like comparing a long skinny one vs. a short but very wide one. Each turbo is diff. so you really can't just go by the number for expectations. Generally the smaller the AR, the faster the spool, but at a lesser high end flow. The steep .55 AR of the S256 is big, but still pretty efficient. I'm looking forward to seeing what it does at higher boost.

This is on 93 pump gas. Shop conditions finally cooled down to about 90 degrees inside and humidity dropped to around 65% by this run (but that was according to the digital weather thing next to the car. Had the fans blowing at it of course, so it was a bit better for the front mount than 90 deg. but nowhere near the 50 deg. of the MI dyno run with bigger numbers.

EGTemps are looking good too.

Edited by mstieg

Jeebus, get that AFR smoothed out. lol. I see you only revved to 6, but did the tuner stay in it till then or is the big drop at the end when he let off or began to? or is that just really bad flowing head and hot side?

Jeebus, get that AFR smoothed out. lol. I see you only revved to 6, but did the tuner stay in it till then or is the big drop at the end when he let off or began to? or is that just really bad flowing head and hot side?

He kept the timing pretty conservative, and mentioned that the head seemed to reach it's limits on the upper end. After looking at the other dyno graphs, they all seem to drop off like that. It just looks steeper since I'm not on a 0-450 range. I also have much less cam than most of those guys. Note that the 88WhiteStarion dropped 50hp after 5200rpms, but was above 30psi at the time mine creeped up to 12psi. Makes me wonder if the S258 might be even better for the 2.6. The head isn't aggressively ported either tho.

I was hoping to go nuts with 300hp at this low boost, but am pretty happy for this as a starting point. I need to fab up a turbo inlet pipe since the prev. one doesn't fit now that the pipes were changed a bit for the external WG plate. This run was with the filter mounted right on the turbo next to all the heat. Intake temps still weren't that bad, but with cooler air from further away could be better. Anybody know where I can get a bolt-on 4" "big hp" cold air intake?! haha. I will NOT resort to adding stickers for hp however.

Now I know what the M in mstieg stands for... as well as what stieg is. You ARE the Stieg!!

How do you think it'll do with the stock cam??

-Robert

^^ shhhh. Only those who have bought parts from me knew til now. I'm gonna have to move now.

Edited by mstieg

280rwhp is not bad at all at such a low boost you need to remember that’s more or less at STOCK boost and a quest in stock trim might push 160rwhp so at about the same boost you have gained 110HP. now you take that stock Motor and put it to 20psi you get 204rwhp I am going off what I personally got with the blue car. That is a 27% increase. BUT that's putting the Turbo way out of its range. But at that SAME rate of increases and I am 100% sure yours will be more then a 27% increases that would put you at 355rwhp that’s I think about what we all most got when you where up here. It sounds like its running much better now and I would not be surprised to see 45% gains on upping the boost that would make it at 406rwhp. This is not bad at all on pump gas making it street able.