MAP Sensor???

FLDSM88

No "Manifold Absolute Pressure" sensor on stock StarQuests. Those sensors are used on "speed density" based fuel injection systems. StarQuests are "mass air" based systems; they measure the actual airflow going into the engine and compute fuel from that - just like a carb does. The MAS (Mass Air Sensor, aka AFS or AirFlow Sensor) is the plastic contraption hanging inside the air filter from the air filter canister lid.

86-earlier StarQuests have a boost pressure sensor on the firewall; but not a manifold vacuum sensor. 87-later cars don't even have that pressure sensor.

mike c.

Yes pre87 cars have a pressure sensor but he said he had an 88. I'd guess he was looking at other turbo cars and is wanting to maybe change that sensor out for one that has a wider range. Sorry, there isn't one.

Thank you for the information. I read on another forum about the pre 87s having the MAP. THe reason I ask is that I am going to run the EDIS 4 setup, and it is either read off of the TPS or a MAP sensor. I ordered the TPS board since I couldn't find anything about the MAP sensor, but I hear your really want to run turbo cars off the MAP sensor. I am going to try the TPS and see how it goes.

Thank you for the information. I read on another forum about the pre 87s having the MAP. The reason I ask is that I am going to run the EDIS 4 setup, and it is either read off of the TPS or a MAP sensor. I ordered the TPS board since I couldn't find anything about the MAP sensor, but I hear your really want to run turbo cars off the MAP sensor. I am going to try the TPS and see how it goes.

You could add one down the road if the tps based timing does not work out. I have one of these. I am only currently using it for data logging.

http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/map-bar...nsor-p-161.html

You could probably find map sensor in a junk yard that would work if you want to take the time to figure out the wiring. Not sure the j/k ones have enough range though. Try turbododge. The turbo fours ran a map i think.

Yeah just looking at that sensor I would imigane that you would have to run tubing to the intake manifold and the Y out to the control module on the megajolt. The wiring shouldn't be to bad it looks like a positive, negative and a ground and the megajolt instructions show how to handle that. i think I am just going to run with the TPS and see how that goes.