Washing engine compartment

Rich

I searched a little bit to see if I could find a related thread but I didn't (although I'll bet one exists). Anyway, I would like to clean my engine and engine compartment and am looking for some suggestions. The car always starts (knock on wood) and I haven't had many problems.

I can try pressure washing but I'm not sure I want to because these cars can be "fickle" and I don't want to screw up a good thing just to clean the engine. Last thing I need is a car that looks good but wont start :sweatingitout:

I'm not asking for a step by step procedure, just some thoughts on your experiences cleaning the engine compartment.

Thanks.

Rich

i power wash under my hood all the time.

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/starquestJOE/P3190086.jpg

but i dont have much left under there. the only real thing the i would worrie about is the dizzy. water can get in and the car wont start. i have never had this problem in my conquest, but have had it happen on my friends honda.

as for a good cleaner. i use greased lighting. and a rag. spray it on wipe it down and power wash it clean. i also did my yellow car to

BEFORE

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/starquestJOE/P3160087.jpg

AFTER

http://i713.photobucket.com/albums/ww135/starquestJOE/P3190090.jpg

I did the canned degreaser/ powerwash then purplepower and pwerwash and mine cleaned up pretty good, but I think I got some water in my TPS because after all the washing, at start up it would idle up to 2500-3000 rpms. Pulled the engine shortly after, due to massive oil leaks. Goodluck and cover anything you dont want wet with plastic bags and rubber bands around em to keep em in place.

BC_99

• 2 weeks later...

A bunch of rags, hose, and some parts washer solution.....produced this...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v248/Cokedoctor/Atlantic%20Blue%2087/downsized_0818081830.jpg

Guest Kenmarrow
As Starquest Joe Says... power washer after some greazedLightning... I will not allow a car in my shop with a dirty engine.. it is just too expensive to keep getting manicures for grease under the nails... oh my... That greazed lightning stuff is just great.. wash the house, cleans wheels, mudflaps, washes da dogs, shampoo fer my head.. hell just great stuff..I buy it buy the 5 gallon jug at Lowes. Try it You'll like it.. hehe

As Starquest Joe Says... power washer after some greazedLightning... I will not allow a car in my shop with a dirty engine.. it is just too expensive to keep getting manicures for grease under the nails... oh my... That greazed lightning stuff is just great.. wash the house, cleans wheels, mudflaps, washes da dogs, shampoo fer my head.. hell just great stuff..I buy it buy the 5 gallon jug at Lowes. Try it You'll like it.. hehe

Thanks to all that replied.

Rich

I pressure washed mine, and, as stupid as it may sound, I grabbed a hold of the knock box, and jiggled it with the key in the on position, and, heard the ISC motor kick on. So, water must have gotten between it and the body, meaning, it must have to ground.

So...idk, check that...but, yes, take your dizzy cap off, and spray some ether in there to dry up any water...or, just let it sit and air out.

I pressure washed mine, and, as stupid as it may sound, I grabbed a hold of the knock box, and jiggled it with the key in the on position, and, heard the ISC motor kick on. So, water must have gotten between it and the body, meaning, it must have to ground.

So...idk, check that...but, yes, take your dizzy cap off, and spray some ether in there to dry up any water...or, just let it sit and air out.

Well, I bought her flowers, cooked her dinner, massaged her a bit, and did some other things that are probably not appropriate for all the virgin ears on this site :rolleyes:. She finally succumbed to my pressure and gave in.

Not sure what finally did the trick, but there was water somewhere. All is well in northwestern PA once again, except that it might snow tonight.

Thanks for all your help !!!!

Rich