Cam questions

Ok so I just bought a non jet valve head with mechanical rockers and I was wondering if you can use a hydrolic cam on it, Because I have a practicly brand new hydrolic cam, and also I need to know where I can send it to have it regrinded for a little more performance. I sent TimC a PM but he never got back to me, If your reading this TimC I would love some advice on the matter. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies to this post.

P.S. I talked to a local machine shop and they said they could do it but they dont have specs on this cam and if they do it they want me to give them a pardon if it dosent work properly.

You SHOULD NOT use a hydraulic cam with mechanical lifters. You CAN, but as Indiana stated... you will be down on performance.

Mechanical cam on Hydrualic lifters = YES.

Hydraulic cam on Mechanical lifters = NO.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=88481

-Robert

Edited by Komeuppance

BTW with a turbo there really isn't a cam grind for a "little more performance" So far all the "performance" cams that have been dynoed have lost a lot of torque for a little more top end. And i know more people who have put the stock cam back in, than people who have kept the "performance" cam.

Chiplee made 380 ft.lbs of torque on the stock cam with MPI and a good amount of boost. With a 292 cam he gained 30 hp with a little less torque. And that is because of the MPI and other mods for it to flow better. With TBI I don't think you will be happy with a loss of torque, and Chip proved that the stock cam is not really holding us back specially with the stock throttle body. IMHO the cam should be the last thing to be swapped.

I'm still waiting for a better "turbo" TBI cam too, one that is designed for a turbo, doesn't loose a bunch of low-end torque, and has more top end. Let me know when someone discovers it. please ;)

For a little more performance I just run 1 PSI more. :D

I'll send you a PM. I don't remember seeing one from you?

Anyway, I can ask then why is Chip choosing to keep the performance cam in his car? A few reasons like smoothness, more power than stock, and general drivability is better.

I have a mechanical cam that EVERYONE who has used it has been satisfied. No complaints at all, and many people liking it and glad they put it in. I guess it matters who you talk to, but I know very few who have removed a performance cam for the stocker. The stocker gives up power at 4800 RPM or so. These engines have more than enough torque to fry the tires in the first 3 gears with the stock cam. Instead of frying tires, you can get a smoother launch that is easier to control with a performance cam and pull it wide open for a lot further RPM band and less shifting. Less wheel spin, better control and less shifting with more RPM to work with. Can't go wrong with that. Dyno's tend to lie too. They are only as accurate as the operator wants them to be. Also, a higher torque and peak power over a shorter range can easily = less average hp throughout. Higher average HP is what we are after, not an ice-pick peak with no range to work with.

Ok so I just bought a non jet valve head with mechanical rockers and I was wondering if you can use a hydrolic cam on it, Because I have a practicly brand new hydrolic cam, and also I need to know where I can send it to have it regrinded for a little more performance. I sent TimC a PM but he never got back to me, If your reading this TimC I would love some advice on the matter. Thanks in advance to everyone who replies to this post.

P.S. I talked to a local machine shop and they said they could do it but they dont have specs on this cam and if they do it they want me to give them a pardon if it dosent work properly.

If you take a close look at the cam chart I posted there are two slipper cams tests. One data set is titled "Slipper Slipper New" That is a graph of a mechanical cam. You can see that up to about .008" or so it has a slow ramp. Thats the take up ramp for the lash on a mechanical rocker.

IF you look at "slipper sliper old" That is the graph for a hydralic cam.

Basicly if you use a hydralic cam with mechanical rockers it will have a harsh lash takeup. Thats can casue some float and its hard on the valve train.

If you use a mechanical cam with hydralics the initial opening of the valve will be lazy. So you lose cylinder pressure at low speeds but dont gain flow at high speeds.

Better to get the right cam for the job.

Kevin C

Thanks for all the replies the only reason I want the cam is because I bought the over sized valve from Dad and I'm haveing the head ported so I figured I should go all the way. I jsut hope its all worth it, has anyone else done this, if so I would love to here how it all worked out for you and maybe get a little info on what to exspect.

Thanks for all the replies the only reason I want the cam is because I bought the over sized valve from Dad and I'm haveing the head ported so I figured I should go all the way. I jsut hope its all worth it, has anyone else done this, if so I would love to here how it all worked out for you and maybe get a little info on what to exspect.

Ask Tim about his roller set up. :)

CALIBER 308

Also, it is not good to get into the practice of using a hyd lifer on a mech cam because most all mech cams have a hump or series of humps on the downhill side. Except for our stock mech cam. It has the humps, but not big enough to cause issues. The hyd rocker will dig into the hump and eat the cam in most cases.