air compressor suggestions??

spoolinturbo

Well ive decided to paint my car here at the house with a make-shift paint booth, because the hobby shop on base is swamped i guess...

the air compressors i had in the past were...already there when i was painting cars haha. huge mama's so i never worried about CFM from the compressor.

so now that i have to buy one what do you all think i should get??

if i remember right an HVLP gun should require around 8-11 CFM?

tank size does not really matter with the correct motor on it...but ide like a 33-60. anything bigger and ur looking at lots of money.

and has to be single stage, as i want to plug and go.

anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: it'll also be running a single DA too.

Edited by spoolinturbo

and i found this one on sears but not sure if its enough...i wish i had a harbour freight near me =/

Item Weight: 127.0 lbs.

SCFM Delivery:

SCFM Delivery At 40 psi: 6.3 SCFM

SCFM Delivery At 90 psi: 4.9 SCFM

Tank:

Compressor Tank Capacity: 26 gal.

Compressor Tank Pump Style: Oil Free

Compressor Regulator: Yes

Compressor Tank Type: Vertical

Hose:

Type: Air

Length: 25 ft.

Working psi: 160 psi

Motor-Engine:

Horsepower: 1.60 hp

Voltage: 120 volts

Safety Enhancements:

Ear Decibel Rating: 78 decibels

Dimensions:

Height: 51 in.

Width: 22-3/4 in.

Length: 22-3/4 in.

Included with Item:

Accessory Kit: Yes

Ratchet: Yes

Wrench: Yes

My sears compressor has been running for a very long time. Every so often I order a piston kit for it which it definitely needs. I use it commercially for all intents and purposes.

It's 26 gallon but 3.5 hp. For your immediate requirement that one is probably fine but if you end up using air tools of any other kind it will be running constantly in order to keep up.

I would not go for less than 5hp on an oil-less machine if I had it to do again.

The biggest one you can afford.

Honestly, I've had smaller compressors and they just don't hold up. At least get a 5HP. Doesn't matter who makes it. Just stay away from parts store brands. Don't get a oiless one or one with a cheap built in regulator.

At my house I have a 10 gal 2HP as a backup. But I love my main compressor. It will run anything I want. My sandblasters, air grinders, impacts, anything. I have a 220V 15HP 100gal 2 stage 4 piston devilbiss. Awsome compressor, it's got a built in oil pump for pressure fed bearings. It's at least 40 years old and still works great. But I don't expect you to get a $3000 compressor. I got lucky, mine was free.

Yeah, don't get an oil less one... NOISY. The ones with seperate motors and belt are much quieter.

The good thing about HVLP guns is they don't require as much CFM. You can use a spray gun on smaller tank, but you just gotta watch your pressure and "pause" when you're running near the limit.

-Robert

A decent oil-less compressor is no match for a full duty but on a budget they can do everything you need to do. I paid under $300 about 13 years ago and run mine daily for hours and hours. When the ring goes bad I order a kit for $35 and fix it. The motor has given no troubles.

A decent oil-less compressor is no match for a full duty but on a budget they can do everything you need to do. I paid under $300 about 13 years ago and run mine daily for hours and hours. When the ring goes bad I order a kit for $35 and fix it. The motor has given no troubles.

What brand is it Edde????

Whichever compressor you decide on getting, make sure that you have a QUALITY moisture separator on the air outlet side going to the hose. It increases the life of your air tools and keeps moisture from mixing in the paint as you spray.

And make sure you drain it. ;)

For What it's Worth.

KEN

Whichever compressor you decide on getting, make sure that you have a QUALITY moisture separator on the air outlet side going to the hose. It increases the life of your air tools and keeps moisture from mixing in the paint as you spray.

And make sure you drain it. ;)

For What it's Worth.

KEN

Seconded. Couple years back we ran air via copper tubing around the circumference of our decently sized garage, and once the temperature dropped low enough for condensation to form inside the lines, the budget moisture separator/filter assembly became woefully inadequate.

Well ive decided to paint my car here at the house with a make-shift paint booth, because the hobby shop on base is swamped i guess...

the air compressors i had in the past were...already there when i was painting cars haha. huge mama's so i never worried about CFM from the compressor.

so now that i have to buy one what do you all think i should get??

if i remember right an HVLP gun should require around 8-11 CFM?

tank size does not really matter with the correct motor on it...but ide like a 33-60. anything bigger and ur looking at lots of money.

and has to be single stage, as i want to plug and go.

anyone have any suggestions?

EDIT: it'll also be running a single DA too.

Google $50 paint job. There is a guy on a mopar website that tells in detail how to paint a car with rollers but not a crap job he has pictures to prove it too! if you cannot find it look on fordfestiva.com and search $50 paint job. It is really interesting and may give you some ideas. Good luck it will only turn out as good as you prep it.

Sears. Sears of 13 years ago, that is. Just sayin' :confused0024:

understood yea my grandfather had a Toro snowblower form them about 40 years ago....still works great..

Most things you buy nowadays are throw aways after a couple years unfortunately

The biggest thing you have to look out for in the new cheap compressors is a crappy run capacitor. The run capacitor in these units pull double duty as run caps and start caps. I've seen many cheap compressors just stop working and hum when you turn them on but no motion.

My 2HP backup compressor I got for free because the owner thought it was broken. The run cap was bad so I spent $5 and replaced it. That was 7 years ago and it still works. The run cap should be an oil filled metal case unit. If it has a blue wrapper or it's plastic with a paper top it will fail eventually. Paper caps are for starting only. Metal case oil filled caps are run caps.

Seconded. Couple years back we ran air via copper tubing around the circumference of our decently sized garage, and once the temperature dropped low enough for condensation to form inside the lines, the budget moisture separator/filter assembly became woefully inadequate.

Yep! The moisture separator/filter needs to be at least 25 feet away from the compressor before it works properly. I've got three moisture separator/filter systems. The third one is about 60+ feet away and is a five stage filter for painting/coating.