he, he check this out

Nope, D-50 temporarily anyway. 700R4 this winter.

Anyway, we got the header and turbo in today. Joe got the brackets for the willwood cylinder made and mounted. I got the reversed throttle body flange made and located ready for welding on next week. I also got the ABS unit out.

Joe said he is going to try to get the sub intake mounted. The Cyclone intake is 3 pieces. So only the aix box will be left off. The driveshaft was ready today, but we did not get a chance to go get it, that'll be Monday for sure.

So just a few very minor parts, a timing idler (the red one) and then the timing belt and cover can go back on. Then it will be tubing and fluid lines.

Ok, the trans is in. The airbox has been dropped off for welding of the relocated flange, the driveshaft is under the car, not mounted. It got real hot, late and the skeeters got BAD... So tomarrow for the driveshaft, mounting the slave cylinder and  then the drive train IS DONE!

And yes, the shifter is right where it is supposed to be.

Man that trans fought with every tooth on the flywheel too...

forgot, the 1G stuff got shipped today, so this weekend is looking like it's going to be a good one.

Spend the next few days doing hoses and some electrical, get the alternator mounted, finish the oil lines and maybe have the timing stuff done by friday and be spot running by monday!

Once again..Damn you man! LOL

It's gonna be a monster, just don't pop that d-50 trans right away... ;)

Awesome...

Makes me REALLY wish it was my car too. Sadly enough Joe's is just the test bed, fit finish really make sure what is needed kinda thing.

he says he will not take it over 7 PSI, I hope he sticks to that cause I REALLY do not think that the D50 trans will take much more then that.

He has plans for winter break from school after he gets his check for going to school.

He only says GT45, 700R4, intercooler and brakes. I cannot wait to hear this thing whine...

EIT: well after we do get it running no one will know more about it then us!

Kinda thinking about a tech article maybe... We got LOADS of info for anyone looking at the swap.

I think our budget is at around 1500 right now give or take. I need to double check with Joe. Then again alot of the stuff we did is not really needed just for the swap.

Ok, the swap alone item/prices are this...

1. engine- whatever it is.

2. Trans- Ours was included in about $90 bucks worth of parts. *86 D50 2.0.

3. Aluminum plate for the motor plates- $35 (1/2X4.5X5.5) I think? Will change if different.

4. Driveshaft- needs lengthened by 2" Ours was $155 total including balancing and U joints.

5. Whatever you plan to use as the ECM/ECU. We originally went MSnspark, but chaned it to 1G ECU because Joe went to the DSM forums looking for other parts and found 2 harnesses and a good 1G ECU for $150.

6. Various welding projects including relocating the intake flange/making a new one

Ours was 1/2X3X3 or something like that including that and the welding $50.

Our swap hit the roof with the engine rebuild and performance build up.

$400 forged pistons

$4-500 in turbo and parts

$250 for the header

$100 for the intake

$300 in machine work including balancing everything

$100 in race bearings

$500 for the motor

But if you already have  "63 built, it can be swapped for under $600 I would bet.

I do not have the prices for the hoses or anything yet, as we have not got to that yet. But under $50 is probable.

Damn that header is nice! $250?  Damn..  Any reason why you're using a Cyclone intake manifold? Get it for a good price?

What turbo you running? It's too hard to tell from this angle..

Now I feel really bad for that tranny, he better stick to that 'under 7psi' statement..LOL  I thought you guys went for a stock internal 4g63..

Awesome.. 8)

Damn that header is nice! $250?  Damn..  Any reason why you're using a Cyclone intake manifold? Get it for a good price?

What turbo you running? It's too hard to tell from this angle..

Now I feel really bad for that tranny, he better stick to that 'under 7psi' statement..LOL  I thought you guys went for a stock internal 4g63..

Awesome.. 8)

Yeah, that Trans will be lucky to live until it is replaced.

Joe wanted the Cyclone, for its off/low boost performance. The NA runners are longer so they help off boost Trq. He got it for around 100 he said.

The turbo is a T4E/T3. 53LB ft flow. 3" in, 2" out.

No, the engine was built while it was out for ease of trouble. The engine was "OK" still within spec, but getting too high for Joe's taste, so he rebuilt it, I stood back and helped when I could.

that turbo looks like its in a bad place.  Will you be able to put an air filter on it?  Any way you could flip it around?

The only way it could be there is to have a full T4 on center housing. It will fit, allbeit upside down, but there none the less.

Kits? HA no way. The only way to retain a "naturally" fitting trans is to go with a D50 or similar RWD 4G63 trans.

There are articles that can show you how to swap the internals from a Staion/Conquest trans INTO the D50's, but that would have taken too long so we just went straight D50.

Again, later there will be a 700R, and when those plates are done and tested, they will be for general sale.

We have quite a few "mods" to the typical list of things for the swap. We will write up an article, and it might be kept here, or elsewhere. The 2" forward for one is NOT ENOUGH! But we are too far along now to change it, and there is not enough time either...

• 2 weeks later...

That looks awsome.....

What are the power output on this baby...

What was the total Price for this swap including everything...

Can you give me a rough astimate in g's. (ex. 5000 to 6000).....

Looks great... i want to see it... I will take my quest down also...

Just my .02c.

I prefer the turbo facing the front...  Less headaches on exhaust piping and intake piping...

Did you have to mod the crossmember to install the motor... or did you just made brackets from the stock mounts to motor block...

1. The turbo was mounted that way because of the header. That header has since been sold on Ebay, and a T3 flange has been welded/mounted on the stock manifold. It will now face forward.

2. The cost has been roughly 5-600. NOT 5-6K, $500-$600 FOR PARTS ALONE. So add the cost of the engine, and well, thats it.

3. As far as crossmember modifacation, Nope. You do however need to manufacture plates to move the engine forwad, and is you are using the Cyclone intake as Joe and I are, you also need to RAISE the motor about 1.25" to clear the steering box.

4. Power output once fully tuned should be well above 450 Hp/trq.

Joe and I have made several parts on our own that have eased the install. A new water outlet from the rear of the head. Numberous brackets for numberous items, including the GM alternator mount. Joe now has on order S/S braid hose and fittings to make the oil feed and drain lines, (-6 feed -3/8, -8 return -1/2) All hand fabbed drain fittings to the oil pan and such.

We are waiting on new plates to arrive so we can remake the forward movement plates to allow the starter to clear. This weekend he plans to have the slave cylinder mounted. He has also ordered parts to make another MS set up, and Friday will be couring the J/Y to get the ford/GM parts needed.

But as far as actual parts to do the swap, ours including the transmission was well under 600. The engine was 500, plus the rebuild parts and that ran the cost up big time. Infact most of our cost has been the engine parts, not actual parts for the swap.

$50 for plate aluminum

$55 for cylinder

Your ECM

Your engine

$70 Trans at a junk yard

$10 in Schdule 40 piping for water outlet

$10 in bolts

$100 for intake (ours was aftermarket/JDM)

$50 in metal tubing/radiator hoses

$40 for new down pipe.

$160 for driveshaft work

$40 in misc. metal plate for braket fabrication.

Not expensive for the parts... just the engine, trans, ECM/harness kills ya.

Very nice set up...Excellent Work!!  The only thing I am not sure of is the use of the cylcone intake.  IMO, you may have been better off porting the stock 1G intake.  From what I have read and seen, gains are minimal in the lower RPM range (under 4600rpm) and the top end is about the same as stock intake.  What are you guys planning on doing with this car?  If auto-xing is the target, then the cyclone might be somewhat worth it.  I actually contemplated doing this swap in my old 89 Conquest before I took a ride in what was to be the doner car (see below) 90 AWD GSX.  Needless to say, I changed my mind after that first lesson in AWD dynamics.  Oh well, just my thoughts...hell of job though man.  That is gonna be one hell of a ride.