Engine Swap RB25DET ?

Phat_pPat

Hmm there probably would be fitting issues like w/ the 2JZ's. Not sure how similar in external dimensions the 2 motors are, but it wouldnt be easy. Definitely cool though, i'd kill for that setup, those engines have lots and lots of potential.

-Neil

That's my "Final Mod" to do to my car. If it'll happen or not, I don't know.  I have some connections to a few New Zealand Skyline owners, as well as a local guy who imports front clips, although I haven't been able to get ahold of him as he's probably out of the country.

With this topic. Talk is talk....

Dimensionally it should fit pretty well.

The ONLY thing stopping me is part availability....The little stuff like oil filters is alright, as the Skyline shares the same oil filter with many other US spec Nissan's.

The combinations of the RB series engine is absolutely wonderful.  If I do end up doing a RB engine, it'll be a RB26DETT head mated on a RB30E block. This makes a DOHC 3 liter I6, also able to stroke and/or bore it until you get 3.4 or so liters, 3.4 is the largest i've heard of.

Money is always the issue with these kind of swaps. I've been contemplating scrapping the RB26 idea for a Nissan 4.5L DOHC V8 from the Infinity Q45. Then twin turboing it.

Like I said before, talk is talk... I'm most probably going to be doing the 4G64/63 hybrid because it's the only total idea I have, that has actually been done and proven. Plus part availability isn't an issue at all.

I still will have a RB26DET, but it'll probably be in a 92 or so Nissan 240. As there's install kits and people have done it already. Plus in the end, the RB26 powered 240 is still lighter than a stock SQ by at LEAST 350-400 pounds...

John

For the sake of saving 30,000 why not go with a 2jz or L28 stroked to 3.1 the 2jz is comparable but i guess not as sexy.  or a twin turbo 302 that would really be bad a** and be more reasonable.

The supra's 2JZGTE is more expensive to obtain, mod, and keep up. It also doesn't even come CLOSE to $30,000.  And dare I say, the RB is stronger :o*ducks*

John

The supra's 2JZGTE is more expensive to obtain, mod, and keep up. It also doesn't even come CLOSE to $30,000.  And dare I say, the RB is stronger :o*ducks*

John

not going on offensive, BUT...

I have seen many a 2JZGTE for well under $4K. I have even seen the complete engine, including harness, turbo, and trans for 3800 ish.

Andd parts availibility is key, in the country, the 2JZ parts are an easy come by.

As far as strength, I am not all that familiar with the skyline motors.

BUT I have seen (while in Osaka, Jp-perk of overseas duty) stock blocks/rods/heads doin 780 all day long. there are very few rod for the 2JZ that are better then stock. The block needs very little work typically, and the head is very strong.

Honestly, the weakest part are the pistons.

EDIT: HEY BMW, what base runner are you running? I just noticed that base with home made upper... Looks good.

I'm talking about front clips from Japan.  The cheapest 2JZ-GTE i've found was over $6K. I can get a RB25DET front clip(engine/tranny/all ECU's/body panels/skyline headlights/and alot of times you get quite a bit of aftermarket goodies. The cheapest i've found a RB clip is $3K(shipped to my front door).

Ever hear of the RB26 with stock block, pushing 2200HP?(no typo either)

INSANE..

John

A Supra stock engine bottom end can handle over 1000hp, while the RB engines can handle 2200hp

If you are striving to go against the grain, then go with a RB engine, however, I think dollar-per-dollar and in terms of availability WITHOUT having to order stuff from Japan all the time, the Supra engine is a great way to go because you can get parts for it IN this country (USA).

If you're going for Wow and Show, and you drop enough money to get either a Supra or Skyline engine to 1000Hp+, you're going to need some serious chassis work to keep the Conquest/Starion from twistings itself into a pretzel anyway, so if you have that kind of money to spend, then either engine doesn't matter.

Once you're over that 1000hp mark on stock internals, the RB engine is reliable for another 1200hp.

Most people will never own a vehicle that makes anywhere near that much power, let alone would they know how to handle it.

Both the Supra and RB engines can be had for not a whole lot of money, but if you want to make more power then their stock output, the sky is the limit.

They are both inline-6s and they both work in a RWD setup.

Dollar per dollar.....

Well 2200, hell even 800hp is way too much for me. I'm interested in a 550HP SQ, reliably driven.... I'm pretty sure the G54B won't do it for me. Another big thing I WILL have is good gas mileage, obviously only when i'm not romping on it all the time.  I'm talking at least 25MPG on the highway. I know the 4g series engine's are capable, and that's probably the way i'm going to go.  The RB engine to me is a pipe dream, I already have WAY too much to do to the SQ, so maybe 10 years down the road when everythings dirt cheap..

John

I was thinking that the real expense in the RB engine was strokeing it, from what i,ve read this is huge bucks just to achieve the displacment the 2jz already has.  Or just a turbo 302 could do all the same stuff especially 550 hps.

I wouldn't do the stroke. As I said the RB26 head fits on the RB30E block. But at 2.6 liters, the RB does whatever the 2JZ will, and then some.

Also, I need good gas mileage, and a turbo'd pushrod V8 won't do it for me.

I'm gonna go the 4G64/63 hybrid route, plus it'll keep the weight down....

John

yeah probally is the best bet.  Imagine the 302 with two t4,s jesus awsome.  One day I would like to build one but have it in a 240z or 280zx that would be something. 2800 pounds 700 horse it would be so useless i would love it.  If you had a 302 you just build each side just like a starquest. same displcment and 2val per cyl.

I've got friends with rb20s, rb25s and rb26 and get to see them in action at our little backstreet races. The 26 is a beast... the others are so so.

From experience, if I was on a budget and gonna swap an inline six in a starquest, I'd go with a 7M over the RB. We put one in a rwd corolla that went fast *dirt cheap*. Started as a non turbo $500 7m with w58 5speed. Put in used $100 7mgte factory turbo pistons. Ran sds. Even on a $450 upgraded factory ct26 (to 60-1, done by PT), you're at ~450 ft-lbs. Motor was smooth and reliable despite the abuse the owner put it through. I'm pretty sure it would eat any $3000, stock turbo rb20 or rb25 swap alive, in the same chasis. Another thing u won't have to deal with is your plumbing all tangled up with your steering hardware and brake booster as the rb would. Even with a freshened bottom end and nitros, you'd be dollar$$$ ahead and wind up with a street machine that could hang with almost anything.

the availability of 2jz-gte engines is plenty in the States and aftermarket support is

great as well, you can get a brand new short block for $1900 from a dealer,

also i dont see too many skylines here making big power but i see many

supras running 600-800 on a daily basis here in NJ, trust me i know  ;D, you can even get a n/a engine and turbo it-there are many kits for n/a's, people are putting

950's to wheels on stock bottom ends-that tells you something about 2jz-gte engine  :D, Rob NJ.

• 3 months later...

;D, I just loved seeing this post!!!! Believe it or not I actually am in the middle of ordering a RB26DETT engine for my 89 quest. I realize it will take some working out to fit, and function properly but I am willing to take the time just to enjoy the GRRRR... Plus dare I say I love my quest because it is unique and very rare, however coupling it with an even more rare(north america inclusive) engine that will handle 500hp before internal modifications are necessary, Wow times a few, eh.

Okay, now reading your posts I am quite surprised to hear this figure of mega $K to get this engine and put it in? Huh? I am ordering mine from a local importer down the street. I am getting it for $3500 complete, and oh yeah, got to mention that is the funny monopoly style Canadian dollar!! That aught to make it a lot cheaper for y'all, don't you think?

Oh yeah, it also includes everything back to the dashboard of the car. I get the entire front end of it, including drive train etc! That is probably why I am excited to see how it will fit, and what all things I may be swapping in. The crossmember is reverable and I may incorporate the steering of the GTR into my quest, who knows?

Anyways, if you guys are interested in knowing how the swap is going simply ask. Once I have finalized my order it will take 2 months or so to get the car. Ciao for now.

One of the harder parts of getting the rb26dett o fit will be the turbos hitting the brake booster :o

should be fun though!

I'd like all these engines

sr20det--really good choice... hrmmm

s15 sr20det--even better......hrmm ....hrmmmm..6 spd hrmm :-*

4g63T--transmission woes

7mgte--headgasket blows and it's looooooooooooong

2jzgtte--too friking looooooooooooong

s15 sr20det--even better......hrmm ....hrmmmm..6 spd

4g63T--transmission woes

Use a wide block g63b(2.0) or g64b(2.4), it is the same as our g54b... Not saying there won't be any modification's needed, but it'll bolt up...and that's more that half the battle.

I'd do the g64b with the dohc head from the 4g63...that way you still have a good amount of torque... Like with our 2.6's, you could have 80 more ft.lbs that HP, but with the 2.0, it's almost the same until you reach a certain power level..then HP shoots up...  Enter the 2.4...awesome head flow..parts galore.. broader torque than the 2.0, but you can still turn it to 8K, if you want to do that.. Although, I don't think the SQ's 5-speed will like 8K shifts.. Thus the reason i'm going with a slush-box auto ;)...For me, everything is better with a automatic... If it's RWD and boosted, give me a auto...If it's AWD and boosted, give me a manual..  However, if it's N/A front, rear or all wheel drive, give me a manual... But that doesn't apply to me ;)...

Yeah auto is the way to go for speed but I like to shift gears and I know the conquest 5speed won't have 7-8k rpm shifts so that's a major problem

I really don't want to put a toyota or nissan engine into my quest really. If anything I'd like to stay Mitsu so I can at least go with the Ralli Art paint and not feel weird

have you ever thought about 300z twin turbo motor,or put a chrysler 318 I've seen that done by a couple of people.If you find a skyline motor let me know I've been to alot of sites lookin 4 the car as well as the motor money is no object.

The 300z's engine would be too tight of a fit.. It's a wide beetch.. ;)   318? Nah...Got one in my garage right now...

Are you 100% serious about the Skyline front clip? Cause I can get them, or I should say I can locate them... Haven't looked for awhile, but i'm pretty sure I can find at least the RB25DET, if not the RB26DETT...

Give me the word, and i'll look for ya... Maybe talk to my buddy who import's the half-cut's...

Last time I checked a Skyline GTS-T front clip is 3K shipped to your front door... The Skyline GT-R front clip was about 5.5K(cheapest I found)...

GTS-T: RB25DET, five speed tranny... 250hp[more like 290]

GT-R: RB26DETT, six-speed tranny... 278hp[more like 320](you know how they rate them ;)) A good friend of mine said that you can take the 250 or 278hp crank rated figure's and it's actually the Wheel HP.. So 278 to the wheels for the 2.6 and 25 to the wheels for the 2.5L

;D, Wow am I glad to see so much more interest in this now. I met with my buddies mechanic who also imports motors from Japan. I had an atlength discussion with him about what I want to accomplish and he raised a few more issues I had not considered. The other guy I talked to who said $3500 Canadian did not go through all sorts of options for me, so I'll get back to you guys with more detailed info if you are interested.

This new guys I will work with in the next 2 weeks to finalize what I think I want/need. He is going to Japan in june and will find the stuff for me(off the shelf I hope) or order it. Then I will let you guys know about the real imported to my door cost. He did tell me he picked up an '89 GTR 2 months ago complete car that is for $9000 Canadian.