Let's talk Heat Coatings

BMWTech

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

um.... I  used to race at Seattle International Raceway, which is now Pacific Raceways. I haven't been back since they were bought out, I've heard that they made some improvements to the track.

I hope they got rid of the nasty dip in the right lane about 400 feet out...

Why do you ask?

Thank you all for the somewhat un-do praise. It is good to feel back, but I must admit that it's a little humbling and at the same time ego boosting (pun intended) to have a couple of you guys remember me and my car.

What I'm looking forward to most is what I did last time, which is bring new ideas and new parts to the SQ community.

My Quest had the first set of Weisco pistons for the 2.6, no kidding, waited 6 months for em.

My 2.6 is responsible for the ARP head and Main studs that are in the catalog now, I had to give them all the dimensions of my stock bolts and ordered them stud by stud, nut by nut, washer by washer.

I want to help design some new intakes, and some new cam ideas, like mechanical adjuster roller rockers which I had on mine. I want new brakes and suspensions, and new clutches and flywheels.

I want to set this place ablaze with some help and a chance.... It's time to start thinking out side the airbox and make a new leap forward for better 60 ft times.  ;)

What do you all have to say to that?

I dare you all to come up with at least one truly innovative idea, no matter how silly it sounds. Put it seriously and intelligently on paper and I'll start a new thread that we submit them to. And then I want everyones SERIOUS feedback on peoples ideas.

No trashing, no BS. if you don't like an idea, come up with an intelligent reason why and submit it.

lets get serious.

:D most of the stuff you mentioned is already out there for us to buy, the only thing

i can think of is if that DOHC cylinder head deal will ever go thru? that'd be a nice addition to our cars' parts bin  ;D, anybody has some direct info on that deal? Rob NJ.

http://www.geocities.com/nwmeet03/head/head.htm

http://www.starquestclub.com/index.pl?boar...;num=1055793355

OK, I know alot of that stuff is already available, but how about the next step in thier development.  ::)

there are alot of clutches available....did you know that the twin disc RPS Carbon Carbon clutch is there?

Or how about the fact that Lakewood can make a scattershield for it that would let you put a stronger tranny behind it?

Thats the kind of thing I was talking about. I know stuff is there, but we need to look to taking it to the next level. If you guys are content to just put parts on your car that others tell you work, and are listed as fitting the SQ, then sit back and enjoy all the newer, better, bigger, faster, stronger, and cooler parts I intend to help generate.

If you are like me, and always in the Quest (pun intended again) for quicker, stronger, and better parts for the SQ, then lets get it done.

;D damn, and i was asking around on boards(TriStarion too) if anybody knew of multidisc clutches for our cars- made by big names- and to see if anybody was

interested in GB? i'd love to get one of those, care to share some more info?

also, anybody makes decent rods?

Thats the kind of attitude we need around here...If we could get some good designs ideas for the tranny swaps it would a huge benchmark for us. Not that good times cant be obtained on a stock tranny, they just dont last.

Back to the coatings, Found a good site w/ wide variety of links.

http://www.raceindustry.com/?catid=5680  CHeck out the site HPCoatings, there extreme coating results are very impressive, unfortunately they dont list pricing.

-Neil

Oh yea Tacy what kind of 60 fts were you gettin on those runs? Were dropping the clutch off the line or slipping it? I personally on slicks never pulled better than a 1.8 and the previous owner was gettin high 1.7's this was by dumping the clutch at 4400RPM. After out meet in Gainesville and seeing the Tainter brothers pull low 1.7's my launching at 6000rpm and slipping the clutch, I think I might try that route to take some of the stress off of the drivetrain.

i can  just see that metal  puck disk  glowing  red   :)

what i want to see is th e tech info,,  cam timeing ,  spring  pressure,, power curve  rpm  range,,,max timeing  , with and  w/out boost,,,  cranking compression,, exh  temps,  fuel  mix  ratios,, guys with  plenty  of money  can  gamble with  more timeing under boost , but someof us  must  watch    , limet'd budgets  don't alow  for  a max'd up  engine on every  run , and  just what  or how much of the run was  because of the  nox,, cause i'm not interst'd in going that route

1.643 on the 11 second run. the 12 second runs were mostly 1.7's with a few bad launch 1.8's and a 1.9 thrown in for good measure.

I launched at 4400 or so to keep from wheel hopping, but with some of the new suspension adjustment stuff thats available, i think harder launches are going to be possible.

and as for the clutch, I was REAL hard on it. I used a hurst line lock solenoid at the slave cyl to launch VERY hard. Had to replace the clutch once cause of it. Centerforce Dual Friction. Disc held up, pressure plate broke a tang on the diaphragm.

about the clutch, look at the part numbers for the conquest clutch. 15544.

the mazda 626 and the rx-7 II are the same clutch part number. I'm going to do a little more research to verify this, but I'm confident that is correct.

And by the way Thanks for the info about the DOHC head. he's here in Seattle where I am. I think I'll ring him up and see if I can help at all.

Lets look hard for more parts guys... I want lots of brutal SQ's this year to give the aftermarket a wake up call.

oh yeah. BMW, lakewood is the company the Sakura team used to put the, was it a liberty or a lenco?, behind the 2.6L. which means they have the dimensions needed to make us bellhousings.

how does a 6 speed richmond tranny sound?

I'll check more into it when time permits and give you all the info I can.

oh, and one more thing Neil, and everyone.

Check out the article in the new Turbo about cryo treating parts. Could help the rod situation.

also, when it comes to rods, I'd like to see if we can get a longer con rod into the engine. a longer rod means slower mean piston speed at TDC and BDC which translates to less stress on the components and potentially higher RPM from the engine. NE1 know anything at all about the possibilities?

about the clutch, look at the part numbers for the conquest clutch. 15544.

the mazda 626 and the rx-7 II are the same clutch part number. I'm going to do a little more research to verify this, but I'm confident that is correct.

And by the way Thanks for the info about the DOHC head. he's here in Seattle where I am. I think I'll ring him up and see if I can help at all.

Lets look hard for more parts guys... I want lots of brutal SQ's this year to give the aftermarket a wake up call.

Tracey

I can gurantee you 110% that the Gen 2 RX7 clutch disks are the same 240mm discs we use.

Dirk Starksen from ACT told me right over the phone the Starion discs are actually RX-7 discs... they have held up in 9 second cars I was told.

So with that said when you see ACT rating our clutches you can know you are getting real world numbers... some of those  RX7's are throwing down some mean numbers...

Here the emails...:

Mike,

We have two different pressure plates MZ010 and MZ010X.  You are looking at the MZ010X.  That is what we run on our 9.2 sec. RX7.  The pressure plate runs $318 retail.  If you shop around you can probably get it for less.

Best Regards,

Dirk Starksen

President, Advanced Clutch Technology Inc.

To: Mike K

Sent: Monday, February 11, 2002 10:57 AM

Subject: Re: Starion pressure plate

Mike,

I would fear the dual diaphragm as well.  Not only is it going to be stiff but the friction developed between the diaphagms which gets worse over time will give you a very heavy vaque feel at the pedal.  If you dynoed the car then  let me know the torque you come up with or just review our website at www.advancedclutch.com for torque capacities of our clutches.  You will want to get something that will support about 20% more torque than what you are producing.  The clutchnet disc uses the same pucks we use on our race parts so torque capacities will be the same as our puck disc.  The street disc we use is a Mazda Twin Turbo disc which has really good linings and a strong hub design if you desire a street type clutch.

Best Regards,

Dirk Starksen

President, Advanced Clutch Technology Inc.

Dabulldog, You and I may want to talk.  I had Sakura come to visit for a weekend when the bought the 16 valve G54b Motor from me.  They told me they run the Gforce clutchless 5 speed.  I also have a twin bronze disc race clutch I got from Team mitsubishi.  With the clutches and flywheel fully assembled, the whole thing weighs maybe 15 pounds.  It would be a good template.  I also own the 16 valve head John has, it seems his production has stalled, but I'd still like to see it go somewhere.  I have a few other parts that go with it.

FYI, I make custom MPI intakes, ss headders ect.  I'm currently running one of my stainless intakes with 8 50# injectors and the SDS fuel system.  It's cot capacity for ~700 HP.  I'm currently putting it together for a T-70 or maybe a T-72, I've outgrown the T-4  ;D

I wan't arround as long as Mike K, but I've been here since mid '98

After a few days research these guys offer the best coating I've found w/ the data to back it up. I emailed them directly with a few questions and here's how it went.

At 01:51 PM 2/23/04, BMWTech wrote:

Hello,

I own a 4 cylinder Turbo vehicle that I use frequently at the local tracks. I'm in the process of doing some modifications to my exhaust system and I was intrigued by information on your coatings. I don't know much about the technology, just what I've read from your site and talk of other racers. I just have a few questions.  What kind of life span would I get out of the HiperCoat Extreme? My exhaust sees constant temperatures around 1300-1400 degrees so I assume that I should go with the Extreme coating over the Hipercoat. I was interested in getting my header and turbine housing coated, do you also recommend having the external wastegate and downpipe coated as well? My primary interest is reducing underhood temps and decreasing turbo spool time, added power being an obvious by-product. What kind of cost am I looking at to have a T4 .58 turbine housing and a 4cyl. header possibly with wastegate coated with the hipercoat or extreme coating?  I noticed from my online research that the coatings require the header to be free of rough castings, does this mean I should have my header and housing polished before sending it to you? My turbine housing is brand new, would that be an acceptable state to be coated? The header is used. If not do you offer cleaning or prep at an additional charge? Thanks for taking the time to answer these questions.

Sincerely,

Neil Angotta

Neil:

Thank you for your interest in HPC.  I do indeed recommend our HiPerCoat Extremeâ„¢ over standard HiPerCoat® for turbocharged applications because of (as you mention) the range of the part metal temperature (PMT).  Part metal temperature is usually 20% - 30% cooler than EGT because heat is transferred to the atmosphere, thus high underhood temperatures.

I would coat the header, turbo housing, down-pipe, and wastegate housing with HiPerCoat Extreme.  Anything after the downpipe can be coated with our standard HiPerCoat.

Both coatings can be applied to rough and smooth surfaces, only for appearance reasons would you want to grind and polish the manifold or turbo housing.  Performance of the coating is unaffected by surface texture.  So you do not have to go to the expense or time of grinding and polishing the parts.

We will do all the cleaning and prep work for coating.  All you have to do is send us the disassembled components.  We do not have facilities to disassemble and reassemble turbochargers and wastegate housings.  Stripping of a used header/manifold, turbo housing, and down-pipe is $20.00.

Cost to coat the turbo manifold (header) with HiPerCoat Extreme is $250.00, the turbine housing is $100.00, the wastegate housing is $80.00 and the down-pipe is $55.00 per linear foot of tubing.  You will find prices on other components at www.hpcoatings.com/PriceSheet.htm .  Be sure to email me if you have any questions on an item that may not be on the price sheet.

Send a copy of this Email and the processing form from our home page link <http://www.hpcoatings.com/processing_form.htm> with your parts to our plant in Oklahoma City.  The address is at the top of the form.  Send in your parts via UPS.  Ground service is inexpensive and guaranteed.  Processing time is usually 7 - 8 business days this time of year. Expedites can also be arranged if necessary.

We accept Visa, Mastercard, American Express, and Discover for credit cards as well as cashiers checks and money orders for COD.

Email or call us at 800-456-4721 with any other questions you may have.

Best regards,

Cory Ure

High Performance Coatings, Inc.

Rebel Rods, L.L.C.

14788 S. Heritagecrest Way

Bluffdale, Utah  84065

Toll Free (800) 456-4721

hpctech@hpcoatings.com

www.hpcoatings.com

www.rebelrods.com

I didn't see exactly what temp they were rated for.  Also, ask them about coating the inside and out for the manifold.  That seems like a lot of money:

turbo manifold (header) with HiPerCoat Extreme is $250.00

the turbine housing is                            $100.00

the wastegate housing is                          $ 80.00

the down-pipe is $55.00 per foot                ~ $110.00

-------

$540.00

Plus $20 for shipping.  I doubt I would get the wastegate housing coated but everything else on that list looks like its worth doing.  

The Hipercoat Extreme Is stable up to 2500F. It boasts as much as 35% underhood ambient temperature reduction and up to 56% skin temperature reduction. It's only available and needed on the outside of the metal. The Hipercoat which is good to 1600F can be done inside and out. I agree w/ you on the wastegate, I dont think its necessary. I'll hoping be sendng my stuff out in the next month. Stay posted.

-Neil

DaBulldog, how did you manage such launches using a dual friction clutch?

I had just been barely able to spin the tires in 2nd gear when it was somewhat new and now with about 1k miles on it this piece of crap is completely dead. this is with proper installation, break-in, and without abusing it. if i dump the clutch at 4000rpm with this, the only thing left will be a pressure plate and a flywheel.

whats the status of your car now?