Let's talk Heat Coatings

BMWTech

Guys I'd like to get some more info on this subject. I've heard all sorts of controversial talk on where to Hot coat and what parts to coat and what types of coatings. If anyone has some Links to throw out please do!  I'm looking into the header and turbine housing and possibly the downpipe....I'm not into the heatwrapping especially if my downpipe is only going to be mild steel. Thanks for the input!

-Neil

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL............MAN you are one HEAT COATING FINDING MACHINE :o :o

I've been reading this thread for the past 30min...and everytime I hit refresh there is another link...lol

Great info 8)

LMAO!!  What can I say? I'm a MACHINE 8).... Pretty much all the companies either carry Jet-Hot, Swain-tech, or that chrome looking one....

John

Neil, I sent my header from Chad to Jet-Hot to have it coated.  They don't recomend coating the inside but I had mine coated anyway. I figured if it got hot enough to chip or crack (2000+ deg) I would have bigger problems.  Well, after tunning it has turned a little yellow and I did find where it chipped on the outside.  I don't know if that means it chipped on the inside too or not.  I really don't see that it will hurt any thing.

I saw Jet-Hot as being the best product out there.  Who knows.  I sent them an email asking for a quote and they sent me back a care package with a video, a few flyers and some stickers.  I even got a Christmas car with a $50 off cupon for a recoating.  They are really great people.  I noticed a huge decrease in under hood temps with the new coating compared to the old manifold with out a coating.  Having my header coated inside and out was about $190 including shipping both ways.  You have 3 choices in color, blue, black and gray.  The blue and black are extra.  To only have the outside coated is about $155 I think.  

i had my stock cast manifold sent to jet-hot- i have the blue coating, after 6 months

of using it there were some spots of rust showing thru and some flaking, at the time

(5yrs ago) they had a warranty so i sent it back for recoating and they did recoat it

for free, now i got rust showing up all over but will be going with new Chad's header

so i didnt care anymore, i'm thinking Swain now or HPC http://www.hpcoatings.com/

, Rob NJ.

OK, does anyone out there actually use coatings on their pistons, combustion chambers and other internal parts? I can look up coatings all day and find the same thing, but I would like to hear from someone who actually has experience with coatings. Real experience, not my uncle has a cousin who made out with a chick who turned out to be his aunts brother in drag who knows a guy who had a buddy who read an article about a guy who tried it and died of carbon monoxide poising while licking a coating off the  inside of a set of headers kinda thing.

OK, does anyone out there actually use coatings on their pistons, combustion chambers and other internal parts? I can look up coatings all day and find the same thing, but I would like to hear from someone who actually has experience with coatings. Real experience, not my uncle has a cousin who made out with a chick who turned out to be his aunts brother in drag who knows a guy who had a buddy who read an article about a guy who tried it and died of carbon monoxide poising while licking a coating off the  inside of a set of headers kinda thing.

Ummm, there already is people who have said that Jet-Hot starts to peel/flake/crack off etc...... As for the internal coatings, Swain Tech burns off after awhile. Usually only the "selected few" do the internals, as they will probably rebuild the whole engine after a few races, or after one trip down the 1/4.......

John

i have my JE pistons top coated and side skirts molly impregnated(lol),

also thermal barrier in combustion chambers, top of valves and exhaust ports,

i'm building up another engine with goodies so when i'm finished i'll be

swapping engines-i'll let you guys know how everything looks after about 5yrs of

use when i disassemble the "old" engine- i have mysterious oil consumption

problem with my gapless rings and cyl.#4 shows some oil consumption on spark

plug-who knows, it could be my stock headgasket giving up slowly  ;D, coating

work was performed by Bohacz Advanced Technology here in NJ-i think the guy works for Accel DFI now;

so i'm thinking if i should do the coatings over again on my new engine ??? :D

and who to use? Rob NJ.

It would interesting to see how the coatings hold up after 5 years. I've heard on a daily driven car they dont last more than 10k miles, just a rumor though. I dont know anyone personally with the coatings done.  I'm just gonna stick with the header and turbine for now, they should hopefully last awhile since the car only sees about 1500 miles a year and is stored inside.

-neil