alcohol for coolant

pure_insanity

ok, for years ive heard rumor of people running alcohol instead of anti freeze as it supposedly has a very high boiling point. while ive heard of this, ive never known a single person to do it. i can only assume that its just in really hot areas. and is it alcohol as in methanol or like rubbing-isopropyl alcohol. what do you guys know about this?

I know that most drag racers that run on alcohol.......don't use coolant.. HAHA.

...it burns so cold you con't need to cool the engine.

As far as running it in the cooling system....I duuno what the benefit would be. as long as your cooling system holds pressure, your water shouldn't boil away.

Turborusty

Water is the key player in coolant due to its high boiling point, heat capacity and the amount of energy needed to drive it from liquid to gas (boil). Water also has problems such as freezing and supporting life as in mold and other funk. Ethylene glycol or propylene glycol (lowtox formula) correct the downside of water as a coolant and they have a di-alcohol structure so you are already running water/alcohol assuming you have the standard mix in your system. The downside to glycols is that they don't clean up well (evaporate) so tracks don't like the greasy spots they leave behind. You can run water and regular alcohol but you don't get any of the long term coolant system health benefits of a modern coolant. Methanol is completely miscilble with water at any concentration but the more alcohol the less water so the less cooling system capacity. Ethanol is pretty tolerant of water, isopropanol has its limits but I can't recall them at the moment, higher alcohols aren't worth messing with as they smell bad and/or become solids. I would think 5% alcohol would help resist freezing and kill most plant life.

Scott

I ran distilled water and (some) water wetter just fine. I still do on my bike. You really don't need to run true anti-freeze unless you are in a freezing environment. I used the water wetter for lubrication basically. Distilled water has far less corrosive properties over normal water. Water wetter helps with corrosion as well too though.

Nothing new. That has been around a long time.

The US Army Air Force & US Navy ran a distilled water, corrosion inhibitor and iso alcohol solution in the aircraft engines back during WWII.

I think that I remember my Dad telling me that the US Navy used the distilled water, iso alcohol plus a corrosion inhibitor solution in the submarine force's diesel engine coolant systems during WWII also. He was a Chief MotorMac during WWII on diesel subs.

For What It's Worth.

KEN