86 Starion really rich

Homeless2BNY

I had the same problem with my 88 Durban. I had the same codes too. I wish I could answer your question because if I could, I'd have a great car instead of one I basically gave up on. I'm talking hours on hours of chasing the problem. I switched MAS's 3 times, computer, tried running a MAFT, changed out sensors, ran every diagnostic on the car I could, and came up emptly handed. Not trying to scare you, I honestly hope you find the problem. I'm not a mechanic, but between myself and a helluva mechanic who has been working on cars for 20+ yrs and tons of on-line help from guys on here, we never resolved the issue. The end result was, the car being pushed over next to my 89 being rebuilt and started pulling every mod off of it and putting it on the project car.

Follow the codes, address each one and still see if it does it. The codes might point straight to it, in my case the codes pointed to A (the MAS for example) but since that wasn't the problem, all the sub systems had to be checked, and the sub-sub systems and so on. Hopefully it will be a easy fix, but then again, you aren't me, so it'll probably be fixed by just getting a new (working) MAS, or 02 sensor.

Again, good luck!

You both need your injectors cleaned. Why is it that every other part on the motor can be blamed for something very simple? Just because they spray doesn't mean they spray properly. If you think ok hey they are dirty that means they must spray LESS right? WRONG it means the injector doesn't seat or moves to slow and too much fuel comes out and as the needle is to just barely move to let fuel spray out in a fine mist it comes out like a hose.

www.witchhunter.com

86 injectors are about half way in the middle of the range in size compared to the 87+ injectors. 82-86 injectors fire all the time back and forth. 87-89 injectors use the smaller one most of the time, for start up, idle and light cruise then when more fuel is needed or under boost the larger secondary starts to fire. The 86 being two larger leaky injectors, you will just have raw fuel in the intake manifold and that's not any sensor causing that, its just dirty and varnish inside the injectors.

All these injectors look the same, they are the same really its just the hole in the end where the fuel is dispensed that makes them different sizes.

Left to right, there is a number stamped into the side and some numbers, its the letter you id the injector with. K H J L M M

K= is for the 80s turbo 1.6 colt/mirage (not the late 80s the mpi turbo colt/mirage), has no use or purpose and never was in a 2.6 throttlebody. There is a non turbo Galant I don't have one and do not know what injector they use but its one of these I'd suspect H or J

H=1984,1985

J=1985,1985.5,1986

l=1987-89 primary

M=1987-89 secondary

You will see a secondary called blue or green, they were the same color its just engine bay heat caused that to change so I have one that looks green and one that looks blue shown

Click the black bar at the top so that picture will enlarge and look at those openings in the tip

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/injectortips.JPG

I agree, leaking injectors would be a good way to start diagnosing the problem. Running too rich can cause codes to be set, as the sensors would read abnormal.

Most heavy truck repair shops would be able to clean and check your injectors.

That may be all that is necessary, instead of replacement injectors.

I believe the codes and what they mean is somewhere here on the site.

The codes should be checked as well, replace, or clean up sensors as needed.

Once checked and cleared...you'll need to disconnect the battery to clear the codes stored....then try it out. Check again for any codes.

Good Luck

I replaced my injectors with injectors cleaned by Witchhunter, when that failed I repalced them with two others cleaned by them. Still nothing. I wish it had been that simple. I seriously turned the car inside out trying to fix it, but it never recovered.

Now I have a beautiful auto Durban, zero rust, no dents, great paint, 88K on the clock, and it's a parts car. I still get mad when I think about it. One day it'll get a 5.0