DYNOMAX, i need your feedback

Buy it! I use it and it is the best muffler for the buck and probably the best overall. It flows more than a straight pipe. I have Kelly's 3" pipes and when they are installed I will have the ultimate exhaust system with awsome turbo spool! It's a no brainer that sets my mind at ease! Mark Swietoniowski  

I've got one brand new, but it's sitting in the garage. I'm going to install it when I get my Quest back up and running. It was only $70 at Advance Auto (cheap compared to some mufflers). Both the inlet & outlet pipes are 3 inches in diameter with NO AIRFLOW RESTRICTIONS!!! This thing is going to be pretty loud and performance will be excellent. ImportWarrior has one on his Quest and swears it's the best!

Josh

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=15746

http://store.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/wlk-17223.jpg

best 43 dollars i have ever spent!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it had a 20 dollar mail in rebate!

63.95 - 20 mir =43.95

if you get the complete 3 inch exhaust it cant be beat. 50 state legal and flows better than 3 inch straight pipe!

as you can see im for it!

it rates a 10 on my scale!

http://home.earthlink.net/~tmahon281/image.html

here is a muffler comparison on it.

it has a deep sound. in parking garages i set off other peoples car alarms all the time.

it may not be the best but! i think it is a real bang for the buck!

when you look at it the ends are 3 inches.

where the big 6 inch dia starts, the inside diameter goes to 4 inch dia,  

you can see it when looking at the inside of it. that is why it flows better than 3 inch pipe!

a look through the wlk-17223  has paper at the end to lighten the inside

http://home.earthlink.net/~tmahon281/thruultra09.jpg

Guest c89zx7r
really depends where you live . over here in richmond virginia , you don't need a muffler as long you have a tip with a resonator in it , had a 88 tsi with no cats or muffler and just a 3 inch dual monza tip with the resonator in it . Now i'm putting a Aftermarket Crotch rocket exhaust pipe on my 87 , try to make it sound like a zx6r ninja .

I have the one pictured about 2.5" all the way and it sounds great.  A really deep constant tone, nothing like those hondas with 5" soup cans;)  go for it!!!

SOUP CANS http://members.aol.com/hotprican/images/funny.gif I LIKE THAT!

c89zx7r, sorry to break it to you but your car will never sound like a zx6.  its a 2.6l car that revs to 6k and a 600cc motorcycle that revs to 13+k.  i compared the dynomax muffler to the kerker pipe on my zx750 and they are almost exactly the same, except the kerker is lighter. the dynomax is much cheaper, because they are not seen.

Guest c89zx7r

guess i'll just have to stick with the setup like my last one .

gutted cats

no muffler

3 inch dual monza exhaust tip with resonator

with this set up it pass this inspection . gotta love Virginia inspections

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

um, i have seen tests in qn old hot rod magazine that showed that a glass pack (aka cherry bomb) flows worse than most stock mufflers.

it is louder, but has MAJOR restrictions.  if you go to the auto store, and find a 2.5 inch cherry bomb, look through that tube.  you will see a 2.5 inch glasspack really only has about a 1.5 inch core opening.

glasspacks are for rednecks.  REPLACE THAT THING RIGHT NOW. you will notice an immediate difference.  i promise.  my roomate picked up almost .2 second from dumping the glasspack and going with a dynomax.

i'd like to see some official flow test on this muffler. i don't believe it flows anymore than a straight 3 inch pipe. my reason for that is although the core may be 4 inch, the inlet and outlet is still 3 inch and only so much can flow through. i'm not saying i'm right by any means, i'd just like to see a flow chart. i'll probably end up with this muffler so don't think i'm knocking it

no, your right, if it's 3 inches in and three inches out, it will only flow what a 3 inch pipe would flow, and whoever said it flows more than a straight pipe is badly misinformed.  a muffler with the same size inlet and outlet couldn't even flow as much as the pipe of the same diameter attatched to it. the reason for this is, with perforations in the pipe, you get high and low pressure zones creating turbulence which is the enemy of flow. and since i bought that dynomax muffler (stainless steel, thank you very much) i can vouch that it indeed does not increase in diameter inside the muffler, why on earth would you do that? that would reduce sound suppression capabilities and increase backpressure. i looked inside mine and the perforated tube inside was only large enough to fit around the end pipes, so maybe it's bigger, but only about an 1/8th of an inch bigger.

i believe how it works is the pressure difference.  by increasing the chamber size you create a pressure difference and therefore a small vacuum. what the 4" chamber is doing is alowing more to come in but it still has the same exit cross section so it must go out faster.   i think:)

sorry, i gotta pull the red flag.  let me re-iterate:

1. there is no 4 inch inside section on that muffler, i have one i know.

2. it's simple physics that say even if there is a larger diamter pipe, as long as it goes through a smaller section, it'll only flow as much as the small section. namean?

you were talking along the lines of flow and velocity, yeah, a 4 inch pipe will flow more, but if you want the same amount of air to go through a smaller pipe, it will have to go faster.  so, say the exhaust velocity is what a 3 inch pipe will flow, if you go into a 4 inch section, the speed will go down, but the flow will go up, then you have to squeeze it back down to 3 inches.  in that process there are losses, and since i'm only a soph-o-more in ME, i can't explain it very well because i'm not in the right classes yet! but you get my drift.

P.S. the reason i said soph-o-more is because of the language filter, see, it thought i said h0.m0 (what if i were to say homosapian? )

there is absolutely nothing wrong with being gay, and i happen to know gay people who call themselves worse things than i've ever said, usually all in a playful/joking manor.

ive never measured the inside area of the tube but you got one point wrong there. pv=nrt.  if you have a 3 inch pipe and a 4 inch pipe you got it right it will flow slower with the 4 inch but it will be the same volume as the 3 inch just flow slower.  think about a garden hose.  if you just have the hose it flows a good gph but very low psi.  when you put a nozzle on it you flow the same amount but much higher pressure.  good ole bernouli told us through flow of compressable fluids that reducing the diam of a pipe will create a pressure difference and will create a slight vacuum.  this is why most leak down testers have two gauges and a 1mm oriface between them so you can measure the flow.  the gauges are marked in % but its a psi difference.  by going 3" to 4" back to 3" you are causing that low pressure area in the muffler which is why they state it flows more.  if its true it will be a very small amount.  once you take fluid dynamics or fluid machine you will get the equations you need.