1G Mass mod definitely recommended!!!

tmendeol

Like the title says, I highly recommend doing the 1G Mass Air Sensor mod to you quest, like I did.

All I have done for mods is gutted cats, ignitore box mod and turned the boost up to ~14 PSI.  

I added a 1G Eclipse Turbo Mass Air Sensor with a Civic intake tube from Autozone, just like the one in Vilification's post in this forum.  I modded the 1G Mass a little.  I used my dremel tool to make the divided bypass section (the short section, not the metered section with the honey comb)  one big oval.

The power band on my quest used to dye out at around 5K rpm or so.  Now with the 1G Mass my Quest pulls hard all the way to redline.  I'm pretty amazed really.  The the most noticable difference is in 1st and 2nd gear.  My car screams now that it can develop power over a bigger range of revs.  It's great!!!

I was rolling in 1st gear at about 10-15 MPH and jumped on it and my tires spun a little bit, and that's with 9" meats in the back.  I could never do that before, it was great.  Definitely pulls your head into the seat hard.  The turbo wines louder, which is always good, hehehe.

The only cons I have is that now my car has a hard time idling, but I just feather the pedal a little once in a while and it's all good.  

Highly recommended by tmendeol!

-Tim ;D

how do you reset the isc?

DoomID,

Its probably in the FAQ.

Hey tmendeol, good to see someone dug my page.

Glad you put the info to good use.

Its nice to know its worth my while to document my trials and tribulations.

Did you use the Civic reducer or did you find a good silicone one that actually fits?

I'm still waiting for mine in the mail.

Send me a pic if you got it, I'd love to see how it turned out.

: )

Chromepuff, I am just finishing my first actual tank of gas, and I have gotten more miles from the tank than usual.  The weekend before this past weekend I went up to Kelly's to pick up that sweet exhaust and it took a whole tank to go there and back.  When it needed to be filled the trip meter read 237 miles.  This past weekend when I drove up to the SoCal Hunginton Beach meet, I filled the tank just before leaving, like I did for driving up to Kelly's, and still have a few miles to go before the tank is empty, trip meter is readin 268 miles.  And since adding the 1G Mass I have been basically floorin' it all the time.  When I drove home from the meet I was probably close to averaging 90 MPH the majority of the time, even a few 125 MPH runs once in a while.  So performance and economy have improved for me  ;D

Vilification, right now I'm using the reducer that came with the Civic intake pipe.  The way I was able to do it was by using the rubber thingy that normally sits on the turbo housing and by cutting off the section of the 1G accordian tube that straps to the turbo housing and then strapping the Civic reducer onto that.  I know it's just a hack, but seems to be holdin up fine.  I'll get a better reducer soon, where did you order yours?  ;)  As far as pictures goes, I'm hoping that Norats or one of the others at the SoCal meet has one and posts it.  Nothing pretty to look at but it's doin the job great!  Thanks for posting that info!

-Tim

• 4 weeks later...

I Just did the 1g mass and civic tube conversion...it does seem to idle better and has a better power range...but it is running too rich  I can smell the gas at idle...

I also have to let the car warm up before I can driver...if I try to drive before warming up she bogs..sorta like having the choke on......or something...she seems to be choking with fuel..if she is not warmed up first..

I did not remove anything from the 1g mass, just bolted it in and drilled a hole and mounted the bypass valve to the top of the lid...and connected the hose...just like the original...

What you you guys think is the problem....

Thanks

D

I have noticed that the car bogs a bit till it's warmed up but I've always had to warm up my car anyway, so I don't really worry about it.  

I actually run a bar or two leaner now.  My car used to run real rich, like 4-5 bars in the green, and now I'm at 2-3 bars into the green.  I hogged out the two D shaped, or divided oval, short section so that it is one big oval with no honeycomb.  And the only part of the air I use just enough of the lip to hold the cone filter on, so it's a 100% open can design.

As far as smelling the fumes, how did you deal with the gas evaporator once you installed the 1G Mass?  Having that dissabled could be why you are smelling more fumes.

-Tim

The Gas Vap tube and all the tubes from the original boot is hooked up exaclty as it was....I made some hoses inserts for the new intake tipe that fits great...

It is running so rich that I get large flames out the tail pipe after 2,3 and sometime fourth gears...

It looks cool but not a very good for mpg...would love to resolve this problem...if anyone could give me a few more ideas..

Thanks

D

you have two options:

Apexi SAFC or the like (SAFC is cheaper for what you get then others)

Or

You can hog out the bypass tubes in the mass to enlarge the holes, allowing more bypass air through (unmetered). That will lean it out. Could require some trial and error, start small.

Joel

I have a Al'Blaha's MAS on my 1G Talon.  If flows Alot better than the stock 1G MAS + removes the boost/fuel cut on the 1G DSMs.

Was thinking about going 2G MAS on my Talon and swaping the Al'Blaha onto my Starion  ;)

You can find the Al Blaha MAS on DSM Trader for cheep,  If any one does this before I do,  let me know how it works out.

Here is the Al Blama MAS on the Turbo Trix site,  you have to scroll down some to see it...

http://www.turbotrix.com/parts/fuel.shtml

:D Actualy its a simple mod for you DIY guys (if you have a Dremal Tool),  not worth $150.00 if you ask me,  but i got mine for $65.00 off the Trader

If someone wants to see better pictures of the Al Blaha MAS just E-mail me and I'll Fwd some of my unit.

Looks like Al Blaha stripped off the whole bypass section ?

is that's what going on in that picture ?

Yep.

I have three 1G MAS's.  The Al Blaha,  A "Hacked" stock,  and a unmolested unit (for Smog Test time)

>:( When I get my whole rod bearing situation under control (and the weather improves)  I really want to do a little testing with the 1G MAS conversion,  before I activate my new Turbo & AIC combo.  

I was gona just run the Stock MAS,  but the conversion sounds rather promising.

• 2 weeks later...

Okay guys I found the problem why my system was running rich..after my 1g conversion...

First off ...for anyone that has a problem with the conversion..they should do the following..

recheck the wires and make sure you have them connected correctly...the green and red or on some green and red with one being green and organge....usually this is one of the problems...one of those wires go directly to the tps...you need to double check in your wireing diagram manual ... I will post the exact number and maybe some pics of the correct wireing..later..

There is also two white and black wires that sometimes gets mixed up..so double check if you are not 100% sure..

I found my O2 sensor was bad...after changing it...my car runs perfectly now ..no more running rich...

Thanks for all your help All.

D

I just did the 1G MAS mod, and kept the stock intake hose..Is that a problem?

Also, I usually run in the middle of stoich, but after the install I now run a bar or two leaner in the stoich

I have read that I should be in the rich under boost, and Mine stays in the middle of stoich..

What problems can be caused by using the conquest intake hose?

Why did the 1GMAS Make me run a bit leaner?

Although my gauge stays in the stoich, I can now smell gasoline after hard boost, even though my gauge never reads rich

i cant see any problem with running the stock accordian hose,

i dont think the 1st gen mas will do much but manage air flow better than stock starquests mas,

as far as a gas smell, check all the fuel lines for leaks and injectors as well,

I did this mod also, and despite the increase in response and power, the idle went to crap. I've already done the TPS/ISC reset, and still no luck getting it smooth. One thing I'm thinking it could be due to is the amount I hacked it. I backed out the richness screw, removed the honeycomb on the shorter unmetered side and went to town with the dremel. I got got a beautiful taper on it that's nice and smooth, but didn't touch the metered side. I also left all the line that went to the intake tube disconnected since I replaced it with a 3" metal pipe. Should some of those lines be plugged if not in use?

can one of you help me here i asked in the virtual mech. but no one gives me the answer i am looking fo i have an autometer ultra-lite A/F gauge, black, and red wires are hooked up but where does the purple wire go to, i spliced it into the wire runing right off the oxygen sensor but the light stayed in red and barely moved???bad O2 sensor maybe??? can somebody help me out?

Thanks

Jesse

Guest Paul87Quest

I think hacking any MAS is asking for trouble.....you're asking for idle problems. I did the 1G MAS(unmolested)  mod on my car and it runs just fine. I originally used the orig starquest MAS lid, with an opened airbox and had no maladies at all. I recently switched to the 1G lid and bought a DSM cone style K&N filter so now I'm running with no air box.  Now I hear a "whirling chirp" type noise between shifts which I believe is some form of compressor stall that I never heard before (I think maybe the air box stifled the sound). I can hear this noise over the sound of my TurboXS Type S blow off.

Just looking at the two MAS side by side, you can tell the 1G moves more air without the need to hack it. That honeycomb is there for a reason, and until someone that has intimate knowledge of the physics of Karman vortices can say the honeycomb is irrelevant, I think it's best to leave it.

I know hacking it probably caused my poor idle condition, but it did make a difference over the unhacked 1G. I have 2 1G mas's and tried both because I couldn't get it as lean as I wanted with it unhacked, so I put the hacked one in and now it runs in the stioch range while while cruising, and gets 2 bars into the green on boost. The response is a little better too, so it's jsut a matter of either dealing with the idle like it is now or going back to the nice idle I had with unhacked one.

I know hacking it probably caused my poor idle condition, but it did make a difference over the unhacked 1G. I have 2 1G mas's and tried both because I couldn't get it as lean as I wanted with it unhacked, so I put the hacked one in and now it runs in the stioch range while while cruising, and gets 2 bars into the green on boost. The response is a little better too, so it's jsut a matter of either dealing with the idle like it is now or going back to the nice idle I had with unhacked one.

Ya,  removing the metal screen will make it idle like poop.  I did that on my 86 stock MAS a long time ago.

try using epoxy to reconnect it -  should work lots better.