DSM Turbo Conversion

Hey all just got done fitting an Eclipse 16g to my Starion with the help of a few of my friends. I've never experienced a 16g before but the eclpise wastegate is much better then a conquest one. The factory boost is set higher for one thing and the turbo is more responsive. I plan on turning out a few of these conversion kits as an alternative to buying turbos made for starquests as they are more expensive also you can go to a boneyard and pick up eclipse stock turbo with my kit and have a 14g bolt on :)  I'll get an idea on how much the kits are to make and start making some up if there is an interest in them. I'll have pix of the conversion available via email or on my website once i finish making it. email: rbt119@psu.edu  if interested.

Rick Tross

I'm interested in your conversion. Is it pretty much a exhaust manifold modification or is there alot more to it. I was thinking about doing this a while back but never got to it. I'm going to builb my own downpipe, so is there any difference in this area?

I would like to see the pics too

later TOM

Tom... It pretty much is a plate that bolts onto the back of the turbo and onto your downpipe. and a piece that bolts onto turbo for hose around the aircan. It will require minor bending to your oil feed, oil return, and you water lines but it screams. :) Once I get my digital camera back from my friend I'll get the pix off it and email you some. Peace

RicK Tross

I am interested how much would this kit coust? and do you know where to get dsm turbos nice and cheap? Email me with pics when you got them Lizzord30@hotmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

I now have a few pics of my DSM Turbo Conversion. I e-mailed them to everyone that replied to my original post. If anyone else wants pix of it let me know. Once I get a price on making them I'll post it here. and in the for sale section. Peace

Rick Tross

http://63.251.78.219/DSMTurboConversion1.JPG

http://63.251.78.219/DSMTurboConversion2.JPG

http://63.251.78.219/DSMTurboConversion3.JPG

here are some pics i got of it dont have all oof them but heres some.

I'm taking my car apart to do some work on it tomorrow so I'll be visiting a few of my friends in the metal business and see what he can work out for me. The kit price will be coming soon :-D Thanks for the patience.

Rick Tross

another option

Just get the starquest exhaust housing machined for the slightly bigger  dsm turbine wheel (improved, I'm told). I had another turbo upgraded at the same time, so they machined mine free. Prices can vary from $25 to $75... then the dsm center sections just bolts in. You can get the starquest compressor housing machined also for the 14b, 16g, etc... then your install would leave your hot and cold side as is... sneaky

DSMs exhaust housings are 6cm, smaller than starquest I think. You'll spool a bit quicker, but retain heat in your motor - not good.

Quite a few guys have rock solid boost control, $20-40 mbc set at 16-20+ psi with the starquest wastegate running 17c, 18g, 20gs etc... so I don't see any problem with the design

I've seen no difference in the price of upgrades of either turbo

You can catch used upgrade dsm turbos on the trader for bargains

If you can make a durable "hot side" component for the starquest, you should be able to fab some other cool stuff, no doubt.

Just a question.Why didn't you just loosen the marman clamp around center section

of turbo and exhaust and "C" clip around intake and center section and rotate center

section to stock position? Stock lines would work with-out bending anything.Center

section of turbo works in any relation to intake and exhaust housings. ;)

Exhaust hose?I don't understand.For what ?If this turbo's center-section is same as ours(as it appears to be) oil on top ,drain on bottom,coolant inlet and outlet on either side, it makes no difference its orientation-only the exhaust housing bolts to manifold- you CAN rotate center section to stock orientation.Did you not know you

could rotate this section? :)

another option

Just get the starquest exhaust housing machined for the slightly bigger  dsm turbine wheel (improved, I'm told). I had another turbo upgraded at the same time, so they machined mine free. Prices can vary from $25 to $75... then the dsm center sections just bolts in. You can get the starquest compressor housing machined also for the 14b, 16g, etc... then your install would leave your hot and cold side as is... sneaky

DSMs exhaust housings are 6cm, smaller than starquest I think. You'll spool a bit quicker, but retain heat in your motor - not good.

Quite a few guys have rock solid boost control, $20-40 mbc set at 16-20+ psi with the starquest wastegate running 17c, 18g, 20gs etc... so I don't see any problem with the design

I've seen no difference in the price of upgrades of either turbo

You can catch used upgrade dsm turbos on the trader for bargains

If you can make a durable "hot side" component for the starquest, you should be able to fab some other cool stuff, no doubt.

Can you provide more specific information about this mod.  This seems to be pretty effective sleeper mod.  Have you done it? What parts do I need if I have a 12A (87 intercooled) to purchase and what needs to be done.  I would like a bolt on conversion without having to modify the manifold, downpipe or lines.

THanks in advance,

Hugh

Exhaust hose?I don't understand.For what ?If this turbo's center-section is same as ours(as it appears to be) oil on top ,drain on bottom,coolant inlet and outlet on either side, it makes no difference its orientation-only the exhaust housing bolts to manifold- you CAN rotate center section to stock orientation.Did you not know you  

could rotate this section?  

But exhaust hose he means the compressor outlet.  If you look closely at the pictures, you'll notice that the outlet for the compressed air is in the stock location.  If you were to turn it, it would be pointing straight up... so unless you'd like to take that hose up thru the hood, down to your intercooler, and back to your throttle body, you must bend a few lines.  

The compressor outlet side has a LARGE c-clip securing it to the center section,it also

can have any orientation in relation to center section.Keep the exhaust housing the ONLY way it can go, keep the compressor housing how it SHOULD go to attach to

"hose" and center section can be rotated to ANY position in 360 degrees-obviously

we want to rotate it to work with stock lines to conceal turbo change.

Note*We have people discussing a major mod to a critical item on our cars and they

don't understand the basic construction of the item being modified.This should make

you nervous.While I believe this modification has merit and potential lower cost

performance gains,PLEASE DO YOUR OWN REASEARCH with individuals familiar with

turbo-charger construction and clearances .You cannot just slap pieces together

and expect it to work properly or last.Turbo internal clearances are critical to proper

operation and efficancy. ;)

Ernie thanks for clearing that up for me. :)  Ramquest...it seems you are telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about. A friend of mine who ran a turbo tuning shop made this kit for me....and yes he knows about turbos. I'm not saying I know everything but I did do the conversion let me make it simple for you.....exhuast manifold.....one stud has to come out if you are using eclipse turbine housing due to the size difference of the exhuast wheel unless you have a starquest one that has been made for the size turbo you are using then you just leave your housing on. The turbo it's self......rotate it so the "compressor outlet" is at an angle similar to the 12a. then you bend the ol feed, oil return, and the water lines to match up wth the turbo. I'm going to remove my turbo as soon as I have enough time from work and get some kits made up. I'll also fine tune line place ment and other details. Most likely you will have to extend your oil return line once the turbo is rotated to the proper position. Once I get a quote about the pricing for them I will include DETAILED instructions with pictures of the whole instalation process. Hope this clears up any confusion. Peace

Rick Tross

I understood completely about exhaust.No futher explanation was necessary.

Forced Performance's site has picture at bottom of Starion turbo web page of a

turbo "cartridge" this " cartridge " works in any relation to housings at either end.

I believe you can do everything you said to make it work,you just don't need to

modify the lines going to it.Check exploded view of turbo and you'll understand

relationship to housings is arbitrary.I believe Majestic Turbo has one on their site.If still uncertain contact  them and ask if you can re-position cartridge separate of intake and exhaust housings.I'll be looking forward to your reply after talking with them.My comments originally were to inform not re-buke this modification-this is not

the first time this mod has been done before,I'm sorry if I stepped on anyones toes

that was not my intent.In the short time I have been reading posts on this site I have noticed alot of people with the technical knowledge to bolt on parts giving

advice on items that often times required 1000+ technical engineering man hours

just to develop and produce and USUALLY the people installing them have no idea

whatsoever of the hard work that went in to developing them.It's great to experiment with your stuff- but its entirely different when you experiment with others.I understand alot of the difficulties in doing simple transfer engineering

because I've done it .I understand turbo construction because I've taken so many

apart .I have no doubt you'll get it figured out and it will work well,I would just be conservative with others engines during development.Sorry for any offense. :'(

P.S. I have 20yrs w/high perf applications,incl 3yrs fabrication and forced induction,machinist, gone on to high perf aircraft construction and turbine(jet)

modification,and done R&D and proto-type development and fabrication.

Peace and Truce  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a question, because this all sounds interesting and full of posiblilities. First, is a 16g stock on the eclipses?

Second, when you get this kit made, assuming I order one would I have to make any mods to my car other than the lines? Like machine work?

What kind of performance can I expect with a 16g on a stock strarion w/ free mods.

And lastly. I would like to try to clear up the misunderstanding that went on earlier with ramquest. I think both ment well but ramquest I don't think you were following what the other fellow was talking about. He was not talking about the exhaust port on the turbo that goes out the muffler he was talking about the pressurized exhaust air that goes out to the intercooler. Look at his pictures you can tell that if he rotated it as you stated that it would be pointing straight up rather than towards the passenger fenter as needed.

Peace and love