any one with top end tick

crquest23

ever since my motor was rebuilt the motor has a ticking noise it drives me crazy i have tried replaceing the lash adjusters and new timming gears and chain car runs great but i know some one with a quest and his stock motor is quiet any ideas would help

Hyd or Mech?

If Hyd I say start the car, idle it and shut it down. Remove the valve cover. Push down on the lifters (top of the valve rockers) . Any movement? If so that may be a partially collapse lifter.

Mech - Adjust the clearance of the valves .006 hot (is what I have used)

Are you sure the 'tick' is not a exhaust leak of some sort?

Did you check the balancer shaft adjustment? There is a little port on the front of the timing cover, (2 10mm bolts) and anotehr bolt that is loosened, then you push on a plastic 'lever' as you tighten down the retainer bolt. Could cause a little slap on startup if its loose, and a tick as its running (Chain sound).

if all of that works out.. Take a paper - 'paper towel roll' tube and put to your ear .. Move it from place to place to see if you can isolate the source.

check the underside of the rocker where the lifters go in look in there sometimes when the lifters break they leave the "cap"

of the lifter inside the rocker

I get that tick after a hard run, sounds like a colapsed lifter if it comes and goes.