E3 spark plugs. anyone using them?

CaliConquestAlex

I'm getting ready to swap out my spark plugs and I've been looking into the E3 spark plugs with diamond fire technology. On the E3 spark plug website they have a vid from Horsepower TV which shows them head to head against another plug. The E3's used less fuel and made about 5 hp more than the competition. I wanted to know if there are any members running them? I'm going to pick up a set from kragen auto parts for about $6 each and I'll update.

Just make sure they withstand the rigors of a turbo motor. Many "high performance" plugs literally fragment under the temp/pressure loads of a turbo engine. Some die after just a few hundred miles, others last a couple thousand - just long enough for you to think "it's been a while and they're okay, they're probably fine." Then when you quit checking routinely they disintegrate and leave you stranded.

I've never heard of E3 so I don't know if they'll have this problem or not.

5HP on a dyno test though is darn near noise. Just changing the coolant temp a little bit can make that much difference. How brand-new were the "regular" plugs used on the test?

mike c.

I put these plugs in and noticed a significant increase in performance when starting the car and while it's running. The car starts almost immediately with the turn of the key, which is good for an MPI car. I drove the car today, Idle is much smoother and the car pulls strong up to 5900 rpms where I didn't go above that. It was still making power but the tune isn't that dialed in for full throttle yet. I'll report back about the durability and gas mileage stuff if they become an issue. I would recommend checking them out. I don't see the electrode breaking off because the 3 prongs holding it appear to be very strong. Edited by CaliConquestAlex

• 3 weeks later...

Kinda looks like the spark was bigger due to two things, the center electrode being more exposed and the larger ground area providing a less resisstance making a bigger spark.

The larger area of ground electrode may cause detonation under boost, it'll stay hotter longer. Who knows?

Edited by j5

• 4 months later...
i think the best way to test those plugs is to put the car on a dyno and do two test, one with E3 and one without.

use rotary plugs, they the best if you want the number i can loook. if not then jus ask for turbo two plugs, a cold plug