Anybody design websites?

After much frustration, I have decided to seek outside assistance in designing my website!!

If there is anybody here that is interested in some free lance work, let me know!

Pm me with details or email me at jonathan.norton@shawgrp.com

I tinker around a little but by no means do it for a living. Can you share some details of what you want your website to accomlish? (financial transations i.e. credit card payments, streaming media, database, amount of material that will be updated and how often)

Here's a website I tinkered with in HTML and then converted to Flash:

HTM VERSION

FLASH VERSION (4.5 megs and I didnt put a "pre-loader bar" in yet as the site isnt live yet)

Edited by averse

I want the website to eventualy be able to have financial transactions, but not just yet.

Really I'm open to suggestions, My mind goes completely blank when it comes to this type of stuff.

I like the flash stuff!

I dont know what you mean by database.

The main thing I want to accomplish is it that is eye catching, easy to navigate.

The website will be updated quite often, I will always be adding more plans and pictures etc.

Some images will be .pdf format.

It has to have these pages: (not in this particular order)

Home

About us

Custom Design Faq's

Ordering Plans

Design Libary

Links

Contact us

Other pages will probally needed to be added inside of these!

Edited by Force_Feed1988

Is this for your business?

A database stores information. Like product information. Let's say you are viewing a webpage that lists out your available products, instead of writing the html for each product you would store and manage the products in the database and just have the web page load from the database your products and list them out.

Edited by jisleyjr

If i was you i would try to find a company that specializes in my making websites. Much better looking and you have someone to call if things go wrong. But you are going to spend some money. A cheap looking site leaves a bad taste in your customer's mouth. It reflects on your company.

I work for a company that has a website development team. http://www.ecliptictech.com/

1200? eek. Too cheap imo. Looking at your current site i'd venture to say you are looking between 3 - 6 grand depending on what exactly you want your site to do. That would include a redesign with the ability to edit your own content, a picture gallery, email marketing tool, etc. The sky is the limit! haha

look up attack_vector on this site - I know he's pretty busy, and it isn't exactly his specialty, but he might be game?

http://www.attackvector.com/ <-- his site ( which he totally changed since I last looked at it )

but still can acess remanents of the older one

http://www.attackvector.com/forum/page1.htm

his email is eric@attackvector.com

Again, he's pretty busy with work and what not - but it can't hurt to ask him :)

Edited by Fanta

1200? eek. Too cheap imo. Looking at your current site i'd venture to say you are looking between 3 - 6 grand depending on what exactly you want your site to do. That would include a redesign with the ability to edit your own content, a picture gallery, email marketing tool, etc. The sky is the limit! haha

I dont have 1200 to spend on a website right now much less 3-6 grand! :o

I might be stuck doing it all my self, or deleting my website and trying again later :unsure:

I'm a web designer. I more of an artist but I can produce websites that give companies a professional, well designed presence on the web. I'm currently researching ways to make sites more interactive for my customers then once familiar with that, offer that service. Blogging software seems to be a good way to base a site upon to give the client more control of their site. It's cutting me out of the loop sort of but I feel it is better to in the long run. I'm better with the graphics and layout anyway. I have a lot to learn no doubt. Sometimes, I don't know if I have the patience to keep up with the technology. Here is a site I built for a friend of mine who is a homebuilder. He is turnkey - buys the land, builds the houses and then sells them. He subs a good deal of the work out (eg. design, architecture, plumbing, electrical, roofing, etc.) but has employees to run the projects and do carpentry, office management, etc. Now, this site has become really large, over 70 pages I believe so something like this would get expensive. I've built plenty of one to five page sites that are affordable, right about at the lowest quote you've got. Here's the site -

www.rupperthomesinc.com

Honestly, we both wished we had a better plan going into this thing. We now see many things we would have done differently. There should be a version 2.0 in the future whether I'm a part of it or not. He wants it based off a blog style site so that he can update it on his own and offer links to articles, company progress reports, new products offered, etc.

I'm a web designer. I more of an artist but I can produce websites that give companies a professional, well designed presence on the web. I'm currently researching ways to make sites more interactive for my customers then once familiar with that, offer that service. Blogging software seems to be a good way to base a site upon to give the client more control of their site. It's cutting me out of the loop sort of but I feel it is better to in the long run. I'm better with the graphics and layout anyway. I have a lot to learn no doubt. Sometimes, I don't know if I have the patience to keep up with the technology. Here is a site I built for a friend of mine who is a homebuilder. He is turnkey - buys the land, builds the houses and then sells them. He subs a good deal of the work out (eg. design, architecture, plumbing, electrical, roofing, etc.) but has employees to run the projects and do carpentry, office management, etc. Now, this site has become really large, over 70 pages I believe so something like this would get expensive. I've built plenty of one to five page sites that are affordable, right about at the lowest quote you've got. Here's the site -

www.rupperthomesinc.com

Honestly, we both wished we had a better plan going into this thing. We now see many things we would have done differently. There should be a version 2.0 in the future whether I'm a part of it or not. He wants it based off a blog style site so that he can update it on his own and offer links to articles, company progress reports, new products offered, etc.

Looking good man.

-Robert

www.rupperthomesinc.com

That site does look good!

www.rupperthomesinc.com

Nice site.

What you are looking for is called CMS (Content Management System). I think there are some open source ones out there.

The one we have has a menu building tool option. So you start off at the top level like you have, then create a couple sub-menus under that. It is all managed on the admin side and you can add/edit/remove menu options and pages on the fly. A site like the one above would only have 2-3 actual pages, everything is pulled from the database and built on the fly. More expensive up front but has zero cost in maintaining, for the customer. Runs on .net 3.0 with a MySql database.

Nice site.

What you are looking for is called CMS (Content Management System). I think there are some open source ones out there.

The one we have has a menu building tool option. So you start off at the top level like you have, then create a couple sub-menus under that. It is all managed on the admin side and you can add/edit/remove menu options and pages on the fly. A site like the one above would only have 2-3 actual pages, everything is pulled from the database and built on the fly. More expensive up front but has zero cost in maintaining, for the customer. Runs on .net 3.0 with a MySql database.

Thanks for the info! I've been looking into wordpress.org as a request from my buddy (something I've been meaning to do on my own too). It's open source and I've read some good things about it. Unfortunately, my classes were based on the front end of things and I don't know much at all about the back end of website building (MySql, PHP, etc.). We used Dreamweaver to layout the sites but I do know some html and css. I could never freehand using only html though. I'm good with the art of end it - layout, design, photoshop, illustrator, etc. My websites are really just to get a nice looking presence out there in cyberspace. Good for a small company starting out that will eventually have a big site built or someone who doesn't need anything more than a simple page or two. I really need to figure out more than the art end of it. Artists don't make much LOL!

I create websites too but I come from the other end of the spectrum. I'm more of the functionality guy though I do have some look and feel experience.

But from what you're saying, you do want a content management system of some sorts. But if you don't do it yourself, it will get expensive...

They will probably be the most cost efficient and easiest if you want to make frequent updates to the site. Edited by Daily Interlude