How to do an H.I.D conversion ???

could someone show me how to do an H.I.D conversion, just simple plug and play kit, nothing to extensive please, i looked around for some light bulb housing that uses H4 lightbulbs but the dimension are not really the same size as our stock sealled beam, i do have an H4 H.I.D on hand, what kind of housings do you guys use ? and what do you guys have to do to make them fit into our housing/fixture ???

As much as I dislike Ebay, thats the only place I could find H4 housings for the starquests. I've had mine for years and they've been great. Just search starion or conquest and H4, a bunch should pop up. Mine don't have the gay accent lights in them, not sure if they still sell them on there w/o them or not. Good luck!

I just put a set of housings with H4's in my 88. They;re plastic, don't care for that, but they do light up things ahead of me. I did have to buy longer screws for the retainer. The housings are a bit thicker at the seam.

HID's in a reflector based halogen setup is not a good idea if you care about blinding people coming towards you, 6054H housings are especially bad at controlling HID output.

A much better way to go is to retrofit HID projectors from another car into the H4 6054H housings.

HID's in a reflector based halogen setup is not a good idea if you care about blinding people coming towards you, 6054H housings are especially bad at controlling HID output.

A much better way to go is to retrofit HID projectors from another car into the H4 6054H housings.

i'm trying to get more light than stock, for easier to see the road at night, looks kindda cool but doesn't cost me to much you know.

I dont care about blinding people. I have a set in my Starlet and theyre okay.

If you want some good h4 housings, look into Hella or Cibie. I got a set of Hellas and put HIDs in them. Like was mentioned before, the light projection goes all over the place with these as they arent projectors. I dont mind though. With halogens, the output/pattern was real nice with a crisp cut off. If there were legit(non-ebay plastic garbage) 6054 H4 projector housings, I would get them.

Dont buy crappy plastic ebay housings.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/sfbmx88vol2/ultraspeed/DSC06695.jpg

For my Starlet, it was no plug n play installation. The kit was meant for a 240sx, so the power and grounds were completely different. I had to trigger 2 relays for power from the battery. I put the ballasts inside the fenders, and made sure all connections were properly soldered and sealed. Im not sure if HIDs would be plug n play on the Starion, but if not, its not complicated to make them work.

Edited by SFBMX88

get the glass housings not the crappy plastic ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97-FORD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

and some H4 xenon bulbs at Wal-mart, even on low beam you'll get flashed allot because they are so bright but not nearly as bright as the HID but they put out a weird light pattern if you have the wrong housing and magnifier lenses, the hid usually have a flat metal blocking plate inside to cut the light off so its only on the lower half to not blind on coming vehicles

get the glass housings not the crappy plastic ones

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/93-97-FORD-...1QQcmdZViewItem

and some H4 xenon bulbs at Wal-mart, even on low beam you'll get flashed allot because they are so bright but not nearly as bright as the HID but they put out a weird light pattern if you have the wrong housing and magnifier lenses, the hid usually have a flat metal blocking plate inside to cut the light off so its only on the lower half to not blind on coming vehicles

I have those ebay lights and they suck! The projector lens is glass, but the cover is not. They fogged up very fast. The projector creats a wierd dead spot and doesnt do anything, it actually makes the pattern worse.

I think the best bet is it retrofit bosch mini h3 projectors with an HID setup in the fog lights.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=73779

I retro them.

You'll want clear lenses with projectors though, since the stock fluted glass lense will just kill your output.

The Bosch projectors are from Audi TT's.

SFBMX88, if you have room behind the housings, you could retro some projectors in that Starlet and have some really nice lighting. The SQ is difficult due to the sloping headlight covers, but with a fixed mount like the starlet it'd be pretty easy. TSX's or S2K's would be nice since they're small.. The mack daddy of all projectors at the moment are Lexus LS430's, the beam patterns are WIDE! Light up the entire freeway and then some kind of wide. The housings are large though.

Like woah.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10162/DSC_0066.jpg

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10162/DSC_0073.jpg

The LS430's were retro'd on a Benz I believe.

That's stock 35w output.. Imagine modded ballasts to output 50 or 75w. Insane.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm a bit confused here....

Are you guys saying its possible to have xenon style HID lights ( with the bluish color light on a lot of modern cars ) on a SQ? I havent been following the threads in these sections. I only remember reading years ago, that it wasnt possible on a SQ because the headlight housing was too small....

It can work.

You'll need a set of the Ebay 6054H H4 housings.

It'll be easier if you don't care about having a high beam as single xenon projectors are usually smaller than their bixenon counterparts.

The forums at hidplanet has a thread where they list a lot of projector dimensions.

A good unit that's relatively small is from the Acura TSX. One of the smallest projectors is the Bosch E46 single xenon, which came on the BMW 3 series and Audi TT's if I remember right.

The other issue with fitting them into our popups depends on the ballast you use. You need to use one with an internal ignitor, like the Hella Gen. 3's.

I've retro'd projectors into our 6054h housings before, the pics are floating around here somewhere.

No. I retro'd a set into the 6054h housings for a friends Toyota pickup, lots of cars use our housings.

I was working on the flush mount setup at the time, and test fitted the retro'd 6054h into one of my popups. The ballast I had at the time(Hella Gen. 4) uses an external ignitor, and it wouldn't fit with our pop ups due to the angle of the pop ups lid. Instead of the simple plug connector that sticks out like 1/2" from the bulbs base, I had the ignitor on the bulbs base and the ignitor is a box shape that roughly 2"x2"x1.5" or so.

I could've made it work, by retro'ing different projectors into the 6054h housing, but I didn't care about the popups at the time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the problem with the projector housing would be the bottom of it projecting the bright light at an upward angle. If I am right about this, why couldn't you (if you bought the cheap plastic ones), tape it off so that the bottom part of the inside was the only thing visible. Then scuff it up a little with some sand paper and put a gloss black coat on it. Then the housing would only reflect out, down, and to the sides. It wouldn't reflect up at oncoming cars.

check it out at 2:28 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yo3sGCnTXEw

the lights have bluish tint. I'm sure its not HID's. maybe he painted them blue?

I don't know if they still do, but Sylvania used to sell a Halogen light that had a blue tint. It's like $2 more per light than the bright whites but that could be what he has.

• 3 months later...
I found this while looking for HID compatible housings. BIG money though...

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/6054_200mm_Recta...t_p/xd-6054.htm

And then there is always these on e-bay for $25-$40

http://tinyurl.com/d5fptd

oh...and Yes I realize how old this thread is...lol

Tony

Are you the actual Tony from UMS on Dobson in Mesa? If so, how the hell did you find us? :)

Anyways, those 200mm HID units may work but if you've seen them in person you'll see how much the projector protrudes from the front of the lense. The lenses on them aren't flat like normal, but pop outward to make room for the projectors. I can't remember the car off hand, but those wouldn't work with its pop-ups.

Are you the actual Tony from UMS on Dobson in Mesa? If so, how the hell did you find us? :)

Anyways, those 200mm HID units may work but if you've seen them in person you'll see how much the projector protrudes from the front of the lense. The lenses on them aren't flat like normal, but pop outward to make room for the projectors. I can't remember the car off hand, but those wouldn't work with its pop-ups.

Yes...I got an 87 starion as a project for my daughters first car (I have a year and a half) So I started to look around for info. :thread20jacked8wq:

Anyone have any experience with the cheezy ebay ones?

Tony

Edited by UMS Tuning

Yes...I got an 87 starion as a project for my daughters first car (I have a year and a half) So I started to look around for info. :thread20jacked8wq:

Anyone have any experience with the cheezy ebay ones?

Tony

... you bought a Starion for your 1 1/2 year old daughter? O_o

LOL

Don't mind Fanta Tony.

For halogen, the regular ebay "diamond" housings aren't that bad, and like already mentioned the so-called "HID" housings with the retarded floating lense are crap.

For HID, I have to stand behind my previous statement about the 6054H housings being absolute crap at controlling D2S bulb output. I haven't tried a set of D2R(made for reflector based HID lighting) and a set of casper shields(to further cut down on the upward glare, but i've seen positive results.

In the end though, there will be nothing that can compare to a HID retrofit.

Edited by JustPaus_88TSi