Forged Pistons...need some "more" advice!

Starwolf

I will have to disagree on this choice. I myself, would rather the boost came on sooner with a street car at (10 psi instead of 15). Like I said, Do some research into Efficiency ranges.

CALIBER 308

Where do you think boost starts with a S16G?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where do you think boost starts with a S16G?

Boost starts on any turbo at 1 psi. So whats your point??? Efficient boost comes on at 10 psi with a 17C, and 15 psi with a Super or Big 16G. Most street cars are driven stoplight to stoplight. This is why I think a quicker efficient boost is more practical. Also at 10 psi with the 17C its less strain on the engine and turbo. To quote Shelby: "The higher you boost a turbo, the shorter the lifespan". I posted according to the posters question. If you re read it you will know !!!!!

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/maps/td05-16gsmall.gif

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/maps/td05-16glarge.gif

http://www.not2fast.com/turbo/maps/mitsu-td06-17c.jpg

I will have to admit i dont understand what chad posted....but im sure i will later on...

Just for some more tid bits...i live in a REALLY small town...most of the racing isnt done stop light to stop light but on long open roads...so that might clear some up a bit.

We only have a total of 3 stop lights :P 3k population here :D

As you can see, the big 16G is less efficent with a maximum of only 71% , but it's still efficent at lower pressures. the others are 76% and 77% efficent so they will feel more powerful.

The TD06-17C howwever, is at max efficenty at just a few PSi.

For those that don't know, the pressure ratio scale reads :

1.0= 0 PSi

1.5 = 7.5 PSI

2.0 = 15 PSI

2.5 = 22.5 PSI

3.0 = 30 PSI

reading the RPM scales you can also see the Large 16G takes a little more PSi to reach a given shaft RPM. that is probably why it has the lower efficency.

they are all at the same flow point at 7 PSi, well within the center efficenty island... the large 16g is less efficent at that point however, so less power will reach the rear wheels. However, if you ran it out to 30+ PSi, the large 16G will win out over both of them.

at a shaft speed of 120,000, the large 16G is doing a lot better at making flow and making more boost, that is where it will shine most and is outperforming the others.

Sounds good.

But i have no idea what kind of psi i can run with the setup i plan for..

i know each car is different but with the setup i have no idea if the 17c or big 16g would be more effective...is there any way to know other than trial and error?

turbo's arent cheap! ;)

no two cars are alike, different mods, different driver, differnt expectations, differnet motor condition, your best way to be certain is to try both.

Otherwise, you just have to do some research and make a choice.

Boost starts on any turbo at 1 psi.
Well no crap but where's that is on YOUR car? Where does your 17C start building boost? You want to say something then say WHY. Big16g wheel is very common and very little money. It will get you to the limits of a stock fuel system and flow well and that's why I said it was a good choice what's your excuse to not use one?

Well no crap but where's that is on YOUR car? Where does your 17C start building boost? You want to say something then say WHY. Big16g wheel is very common and very little money. It will get you to the limits of a stock fuel system and flow well and that's why I said it was a good choice what's your excuse to not use one?

I set up my engine and car to get to max. boost in a hurry. 15 PSI Efficient boost with a 17C, is better for me than 20 psi with a Big 16G.(Less strain on the turbo and engine) The poster stated he first wanted to go S16G by upgrading his 12A,Then he said he wanted to go TD0617C. You would be hard pressed to find a turbo rebuilder to convert a 12A to a S16G, They do it,but the compressor housing of the turbo gets mighty thin at that point. I would not recommend it. I'm happy with my choice. P.S. I don't have a stock fuel set up, the poster will need to upgrade, 17C or S16g. Did anyone stop to ask him if his car was running at 100% before he attempted this?????

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

But i already have a lot of people lined up because they dont believe my car will be fast because its a four cylinder.

Get a Small or Big Block lightweight car. It really doesn't matter. Your Starquest wont be faster in the long run against them anyway. If your looking for a 4 cylinder car to beat V-8s, buy a 9000 rpm Honda. I use to street race for money, and no race I was ever in lasted more than a mile, if that. Well thats not really true. I did race another Starquest for 10 miles on the freeway in California at 135 MPH !!!! Want to go really fast???? Build one of these, (SEE BELOW PICTURE). (Street Rod Mag, July 1981 issue) Yea, thats CALIBER 308 (The guy that everyone loves to hate) in the drivers seat. Its the same guy thats on Starquestclub that does not know s--t about cars,and does not know how to go fast or what it takes to do it !!!! Hell,I am 53 years old and have been Street Racing for 37 years,What do I know??? And yes, I did build the engine in this Street Rod: 454 CI, Four bolt main Corvette motor. 10/10 crank, Crane camshaft. Keith Black pistons, Offenhauser Tunnel ram Intake, 2- Holley 850 double pumper carbs, M/T Valvecovers, 6 inch Offenhauser Valvecover breathers, Mallory Promaster coil, Mallory dual point distributor., 456 Posi rear end, Turbo 400 Trans with a 3000 RPM stall Torque converter and B&M High Performance Valvebody conversion kit. And heres a good one. Electric fans!! Who says Clutch fans are better???

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Cal, did you have your 12A converted to a TD05h-17C, or did you buy a new assembly?

Do you remember a ballpark cost for what you got?

New $795.00 in 2004, 15 degree clip on the Exhaust wheel. Now $699.00 from http:// turbochargers.com Its a direct bolt up. Excellent price compaired to the TDO5HS16G: $855.00.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

When you find just one of these cars that can duplicate a compressor map you let me know. What you "think" is efficient is all guessing and assumptions. When you get to read the rpms of the turbine shaft you'll have a start. Change turbos on your motor and maybe you'll find a better combination, or maybe not that's about the only thing you can do.

When you find just one of these cars that can duplicate a compressor map you let me know. What you "think" is efficient is all guessing and assumptions. When you get to read the rpms of the turbine shaft you'll have a start. Change turbos on your motor and maybe you'll find a better combination, or maybe not that's about the only thing you can do.

So what!!!! Are we wanting to drive these cars, or arguing over compressor map readings!!! Its not something i'd lose sleep over. Some of you are getting too technical for the average member. After all, most members are younger and don't have the experiance that most of us have ;) Indiana, Get real. How many members on here can READ!!!! the rpms on their turbo shaft, I can't ???? You and other members need to try and relate to newer and novice members. They can't read compressor maps or Turbo shaft RPMs, Its overkill:hmm3grin2orange: Just try to give them simple information and advice they can understand.

CALIBER 3O8

Edited by Caliber308

Get a Small or Big Block lightweight car. It really doesn't matter. Your Starquest wont be faster in the long run against them anyway. looking for a 4 cylinder car to beat V-8s, buy a 9000 rpm Honda.

CALIBER 308

I will have to disagree. The average V8's on the road that his friends might have 90's; mustang, TPI trans-am, or older muscle cars are mostly 14-15 sec cars which a modded SQ can play with. Not all V8's are 13 sec runners.

Now a fully built race SM or a mild BB in a light car, like cal said probably not.

let me name some of my competition...

1995 gst eclipse (most scared of in town) but i heard he has a boost leak and fuel leak...and starter is going out...huge body kit.

WV Jetta...dont know much about it other than it has a HUGE ricer exhaust...he says its turbo AND supercharged that he got from ebay for $50....uh huh...

a few cobalts and an eagle talon without a turbo....

2007 chevy silverado single cab with no mods....says he is going to get a programmer...

i live in arkansas...everyone has big jacked up trucks and tries to race them...

so any opinions on any of those cars? can any of them keep up?

I will have to disagree. The average V8's on the road that his friends might have 90's; mustang, TPI trans-am, or older muscle cars are mostly 14-15 sec cars which a modded SQ can play with. Not all V8's are 13 sec runners.

Now a fully built race SM or a mild BB in a light car, like cal said probably not.

Agreed. But the poster said this:"I don't want to go from 0 to 80, I wan't to go from 40 to 140???? So, He's not doing 1/4 mile runs. I suggested a turbo that would spool fast, The poster said he wanted one for the open highway??? I guess he's not wanting to race them in a short run (1/4 mile) ???

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

i just find it more impressive for boost to come later on...i guess im MORE worried about it ending too soon...

best way i can put it is that i just recently had a 2007 Suzuki enduro bike...

with stock sprokets on it it would go to 100 in NO TIME

with the new sprockets we put on it it would go to 70 faster...and would do a wheely...but it just wouldnt do anything past that...hit about 80 tops..

even with the 17c i wouldnt experience that big of a loss on top end would i?

1995 gst eclipse (most scared of in town) but i heard he has a boost leak and fuel leak...and starter is going out...huge body kit.

WV Jetta...dont know much about it other than it has a HUGE ricer exhaust...he says its turbo AND supercharged that he got from ebay for $50....uh huh...

2007 chevy silverado single cab with no mods....says he is going to get a programmer...

i live in arkansas...everyone has big jacked up trucks and tries to race them...

You should be fine. ;)

And keep it under 100mph please. :D

Oh and the boost wont end, you just get more back pressure and eventually a brick wall (as far as efficiency in the upper rpms) with a smaller exhaust side turbo.

How old are you? Do you have unlimited funds to fix your car when you overboost it, and the motor needs rebuilding? Racing costs money!!!! Just because you have Forged pistons, Marnal head and a Large turbo doesn't mean its "bulletproof". If your not racing for "large sums of money" It's just a "show off" deal. And usually, Both parties lose in the end.

CALIBER 308

Edited by Caliber308

Some of you are getting too technical for the average member. After all, most members are younger and don't have the experiance that most of us have ;)

Just when i think you can't get any more closed minded, you go and post some BS like that... you don't know half the stuff i do and your almost 3 times my age.... you know.. they say your mind stops learning at 25, and your proving that myth very well.

You and other members need to try and relate to newer and novice members.

CALIBER 3O8

I somehow think the "novice" should try and relate to the more experienced members, the ones who know what they are talking about anyway... they might actually learn something.

We all know you don't want people to learn anything here, as you yourself haven't in "19 years"... but please, people are perfectly fine with reading what they want to read, if they don't understand, they will move on... lets not categorize everyone into your persona.