strange coolant leak. very stange.

tcroson

i have a small, strange coolant leak.

it will slowly coat, almost seep from, the a/c/alt bracket from the middle and work its way to the back lower bolt at the compressor and bracket. and at the front at the alt adjustment bolt.

i have searched for 2 weeks for this leak.

nothing is wet except the a/c bracket. wt.....

nothing.

i can pressurize it and it leaks the same, no worse. aaaahhhhhhh.

i have seen some very strange leaks before. but nothing that just seems to seep out of the metal.

so, do any of the bolts go directly or very close to a cooling jacket?

this car used to be scottys 88 starion, i know he had the engine out(its an 87 engine) so im thinkin maybe a longer bolt was mistakenly used where it may have cracked into a cooling passage.

it will only leak 4-5 drops over night.

like i said, nothing is wet, the manifold is clean and dry, all the hoses are new and also dry. all the sensor are good and dry.

any ideas.

thanks

tony

maybe its just coming out of the radiator cap and the over flow hose is cracked, or maybe air blows it to there when you drive from the radiator cap, try a new one and see, you needs one that says its for 13lbs

more info,

car is stationary in garage on jackstands since i bought it on 2-15.

it leaks while sitting. only, ONLY, on the a/c bracket.

or more like teh bracket itself is seeping.

more info,

car is stationary in garage on jackstands since i bought it on 2-15.

it leaks while sitting. only, ONLY, on the a/c bracket.

or more like teh bracket itself is seeping.

This is just a guess. I am thinking that it might be your intake gasket that is leaking.

This is just a guess. I am thinking that it might be your intake gasket that is leaking.

MM yes I would say it has to be coming from there. Or at the thermo stat housing.

Could be your EGR thermo valve... it's screwed in horizontally to your intake manifold, brass nut, black plastic on the end with two vac lines on it.

Ha... is there a copper head gasket in that engine??

-Robert

hey thanks for all teh input.

the intake gaskets is dry. t stat is dry.

i though it may be teh thermo switch , but its dry to.

thats why i thought it may be a small crack due to a longer bolt being zipped tight with an air gun.

hell, i have done that in my younger years.

but since i didnot assemble the motor, i cant say whats been done. i hate that.

i will be back out there tonight. looking for more green. i will post up some pics to assist.

thanks

tony

none of those bolts on that side of the block go into the water jacket, it can't be leaking from a bolt over there

wipe off the underside of the intake manifold with a paper towel, see if its wet

look at the hoses, did a clamp cut one?

is the turbo coolant hose off the thermostat housing dripping off the bottom and landing near that bolt?

just got back out there.

the entire visible part of the manifold is dry.

last night before i quit, i stuffed a bunch of shop towel around the manifold/a/c area.

only one had any coolant on it. it was shoved down directly on top of the a/c bracket. it had another towel on top that was dry.

i swear that my a/c is leaking coolant.

i need a new manifold anyway due to a previous owner ruining the tstat threads, so i may pull it all apart and put new gaskets on it anyway.

i will try to get pics tonight.

thanks

just got back out there.

the entire visible part of the manifold is dry.

last night before i quit, i stuffed a bunch of shop towel around the manifold/a/c area.

only one had any coolant on it. it was shoved down directly on top of the a/c bracket. it had another towel on top that was dry.

i swear that my a/c is leaking coolant.

i need a new manifold anyway due to a previous owner ruining the tstat threads, so i may pull it all apart and put new gaskets on it anyway.

i will try to get pics tonight.

thanks

This is why I asked if any UV dye has been injected into your a/c system before. It's commonly used to check for leaks and once mixed with the oil in the a/c system, it looks a lot like coolant, only it's usually a bit thicker.

• 2 weeks later...