Bushing help

Jsmitty

Well long story short, dad just retired from the Air Force and came back from Japan. Now he needs a car to drive. So I am going to let him drive the Yellow Peril. Well I had the car sitting due to a leak from the bell housing area, as well as a broken transmission mount,abs speed sensor. Had make Ace Hardware shift linkage bushings for temp fix to drive the car before parked, since they were completely gone when I bought the car. So I went to Mitsu/Chrysler dealer and went to see what they could get me. Well it appears #47 is not available from them anymore. I need 4 of them to get it fixed the right way. But I am running out of options. Any ideas? I may try the hardware store again just so he can drive it for a while. Possible will check out transmission places and machine shops.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w202/89PalermoSHP/page23.jpg

almost everyone on this site that has replaced the automatic shift linkage bushings has used aluminum spacers or rubber bushings from home depot/ace hardware, etc. as long as you got rid of the play, positively engage all gears, and the shifter isnt too tight you should be fine.

A year ago my local dodge dealer had both bushings that restored my shifter to like new. Did you try dodge AND a mitsu dealer to see if they are out of stock? Sometimes it seems like the parts attendant is the problem, for the most part I have been very successful in ordering parts for these cars.

John86TSi

A year ago my local dodge dealer had both bushings that restored my shifter to like new. Did you try dodge AND a mitsu dealer to see if they are out of stock? Sometimes it seems like the parts attendant is the problem, for the most part I have been very successful in ordering parts for these cars.

John86TSi

I tried Chrysler/Mitsu since they are a grouped together here. They printed out pictures and asked what I needed. Then they told me what was available and not from them. I guess Dodge could work depending on the year and if the linkage was the same on the 3 speed and the one with overdrive. Being my car is an 88. I got to start looking at tires too. I let the car sit all winter and my Yoko's dry rotted.

They are lying about it not being available(or mis-informed). ive got an entire brand new set of bushings I got leass than a year ago.

Are you asking for part numbers or are you asking for part names? Also, these are Mitsubishi parts not Chrysler or Dodge.

They are lying about it not being available(or mis-informed). ive got an entire brand new set of bushings I got leass than a year ago.

Are you asking for part numbers or are you asking for part names? Also, these are Mitsubishi parts not Chrysler or Dodge.

The Mitsubishi and Chrysler dealer here use the same parts building . They cross referenced from their computer what they could get and what not. Cause all my little baggies have mitsu diamond stars on them with the part number. They could not get part 47. Which would be 4 bushings one for each pivot point. But I did get my 2 40s. Is there a Mitsubishi site I could try? Since I did the rear main seal and fixed the leak on the back of the bellhousing and got the transmission back in today. This is last thing I need to get the car to where my father can drive it. I will be taking the linkage with me again to Ace Hardware tomorrow since I have to replace 2 stripped bolts. I'm not trying to make this on going. http://smiliesftw.com/x/BulletBangHeadR.gif

Well I found some that will take most of the slop out.

ID- 5/16''

OD-5/8''

Thickness-1/4''

Groove Diameter- 7/16''

Groove Width-1/16''

They would be even better if they were a bit wider but I will take what I can get.

Well for the small grommets cause they weren't wide enough. I put a flat washer on each side where the C clips go on so the grommet wouldn't slid out. It's not 100% rock solid but much better (80 -90%) than the plastic bushings I used before. My advice if you go the hardware store route is take the linkage with you in hand and try a couple rubber grommets. It's too bad there is no industrial bolt place locally. I really don't want to have to search high and low in ST. Louis. I still got to fix my speedometer since it wasn't working. Then do brakes later this week, get a bulb for the shifter area, and rebuild the throttle body. I was driving around a curve earlier today and the old tires weren't bitting and ended up tail sliding out. Kinda unexpected but fun. Least I will have new ones tomorrow. I could try taking a pic from a underside view of the car , not sure how much you will be able to see.

Do you come in from the driver or passenger side to replace them? I was checking a little from the passenger side and nothing looked familiar. I did feel some linkage that appeared to be part of it.

I know the guys at the shop "adjusted" my linkage... and hopefully not a permanent adjustment <_<

It's easier to come in on the passenger side. But I had the whole car up. Then I just took the whole linkage off. Then took it with me so I try different grommets that would fit on the shaft and still be able to slide into the hole for the rod that slide over the shaft on the linkage. I had to take out my trans cause I thought the oil pump seal for the trans was leaking. Well once I got it all out and everything it turned out to behind the bell housing. So that problem is solved, plus all the 20 year old stuff like bolts that stripped and a new trans mount. This week I need to replace the alternator and then brakes this weekend.

• 1 year later...