Need a New Motor for my 87 TSI

dj_justice

Ok so my 87 TSI has low cranking compression (90-110 PSI) and has no oil pressure at idle. Plus it makes a horrible knocking sound under load so i am thinking its time for a new motor. Money is tight so im thinking a full rebuild would be out of the budget. Im wondering what motors will work? For instance could I use a motor from an 86 with my turbo and ecu ect.? What about a caravan motor? Or a truck motor? Im doubting that I will find a starquest at the junkyard and Im just trying to see what my options are. Edited by dj_justice

You could use the 86 engine with no problem. Just make sure you use the MAS and IC pipes from the 87 ( same with injectors )

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few things, mainly because I don't know, but it'll work

Edited by Fanta

I know of a quest in a junkyard in ohio that has a motor for 1200. I don't know the number or anything else. Just that there's a junk quest in ohio.

For $1200 you can rebuild. I did it for about $1000

At the pick and pull yards here any motor from any car is $150. $250 to have them pull it. I need something for less than $500

I have had to pay 500 just for a rebuildable long block core let alone a complete.

Good luck.

Dad

Putting in a used engine is really a "stop gap" way of doing it. You don't know what you are getting...might last only 50 miles. Then again, you might get real lucky with a well maintained engine that will last a good many miles. Kinda an iffy proposition.

I've heard the Mighty Max pick up has the same 2.6L without turbo. The Dodge D50 pick up as well, some of them had turbos. I would think most any Mitsu 4 cylinder will fit with a lil fab work for mounts and such...then tranny fitment might need adapters.

If it was me, I'd wait and save up. Rebuild the engine..a better way of doing things. You'll know what you have after the rebuild, and should last a good long while. Will also save the work of pulling the used engine you installed once it goes. Rebuild what you have...pull once...install once.

It's your choise.

The Mitsu 2.6 engine was used in many cars... but only Starions & Conquests are turbocharged versions. If you get a 2.6 from some other car, it won't last long with a stock StarQuest turbo setup. The differences between normally aspirated and turbo 2.6 engines are:

* turbo engines have lower compression ratio pistons to reduce changes of knock/detonation (7:1 compared to 8:1 or higher for non-turbo applications).

* turbo engines have extra oil squirting nozzles to spray oil on the bottoms of the pistons to help cool the pistons. Later non-turbo blocks have the extra oil line for these nozzles - just drill & tap the "pads" inside the crankcase and you can add the nozzles. Of course this requires a lot of work on the block - the type of stuff normally part of a rebuild.

* turbo cyl heads use valves made of a different material to stand up to turbo combustion & exhaust temps (Stellite valves)

* turbo engines have extra oiling ports and different oil pumps, different oil pickup points in the block too. The later blocks have the ports used on StarQuests, just need to remove plugs and/or drill & tap machined flat spots (pads).

Folks have run non-turbo 2.6 longblocks in StarQuests, or have turbocharged other 2.6 based cars (e.g. Monteros) but to make the engine survive the boost pressure should be kept well below typical StarQuest levels unless you know everything else is perfect - and you can monitor the engine performance. If you're looking to just keep the car on the road until you've got the funds, I'd use the StarQuest intake manifold & throttle body on a non-turbo block and NOT use the turbo at all. Use the non-turbo exhaust manifold if you can; if getting it to work with the exhaust is a problem (99% probability) then rig the turbo to NOT boost at all: the little wastegate flapper on the exhaust end of the turbo (what the pushrod of the vacuum/pressure wastegate actuator connects to) can be wired to full-open (towards the firewall) and the pushrod left disconnected. That pretty much kills the turbo. You'll have a 110HP StarQuest.

Front wheel drive vs. rear wheel drive 2.6s are pretty similar but there are some differences. Try to stick with a RWD application. Clean the oil pan before installing the engine; and use the oil pump & oil pickup tube that came with the junkyard engine. That way you won't mix turbo & non-turbo oil pumps, pickup tubes, and gaskets. Use the turbo style exhaust manifold gasket from your old engine - it can be re-used as long as it isn't rusted through. You might have to transfer the water pump from your StarQuest engine to the junkyard engine to get the necessary turbo cooling fittings.

As others have said though... junkyard engines are a big gamble. Ideally you'll find one from a car wrecked in the back... odds are it was running decently until the accident. Or one with an obviously blown transmission... maybe the engine is okay and the car was junked because of the tranny. If the car body is not wrecked, the tranny isn't cracked/busted, then why is the car in the junkyard?... likely engine issues.

mike c.