fpr

RobH

can someone guid me on how to install a fuel pressure regulator i have an 88 esir

i guess my question is can i just put a fpr in the return line or do i need to do something with my stock fpr

what do i need to do

thx everyone

check out the gp forum, adjustable fpr, fits stock location, you can cut the oem one off and add an aftermarket,

it's not hard to do but fpr's are not cheap and without a lot of mods you don't need it.

Changing a FPR is easy...I hope you have verified it is faulty. Adjustable FPR's are for modified engines pretty much. Stock or near stock wouldn't need an adjustable one.

To remove faulty FPR...remove hoses after relieving fuel pressure. Remove the 3 small nuts. Pull down to remove FPR. There are 2 nipples with o rings on it. The new FPR should have these o rings...if not, then new o rings must be installed before installing the FPR. Make sure the nipples line up correctly in the TB housing, then push it into place and install the nuts.

If your running a mildly modified set up you can get away with a inline RRFPR installed into the return line. Heres a good and inexpensive choice: MSD-2222 check here: www.summitracing.com Remember, you will also need a Fuel Pressure Gauge installed so you can adjust it.

CALIBER 308

the only mods i have done is a 16g turbo and a 1g mas

the reasone i suspect the fpr is that i am running lean up top in the rpms i also just put in a new set of trilogy injectors

i was thinking about getting a aeromotive afpr just wasnt sure if i could put it in the return line behind the stock fpr or if there was something else i had to do to get rid of the stock fpr or what

do i need to somehow gut the stock fpr or will it work to just add the aeromotive behind it

You should have bought a gauge first then considered a new regulator and as a LAST resort change to a generic injector that are both the wrong size, you could have fixed all that with a new fuel filter and $50 to clean the injectors you had and you've spent how much $$$ now and still have a problem?

cut the old one off and tap the rail, add a fitting for the return line.

^^^

The stock return passage is already the right size for a 1/8" NPT tap, just put a hose barb on the injector holder where the FPR used to be. Then you can run what ever type external FPR you want.

Rising rate regulators can be difficult to tune as the fuel pressure is non-linear realitive to the manifold pressure. You really need a manifold refrenced regulator (boost conpensating) to have propper tunability, that way your fuel is always 1:1 >> manifold pressure : fuel pressure.

You could also get a $25 mechanical fuel pressure gage and put it in the fuel pressure test port on the back of the injector holder, there is already a threaded plug there to use (you'll need a 1/4 NPT to 1/8 NPT bushing). If you do that, you can run the motor at idle, and adjust the regulator and monitor pressure. you can also use a mite-vac (hand heald pressure/vacuum pump) and run the pressure up/down and see if the pump/regulator is keeping up.

Just an FYI, the stock fuel setup will not reliabaly support much more than 12-14 PSi on a 16G. Many have gotten up to 18 PSI long term, but that is at the ragged edge of the stock pumps ability to keep up, and I'd not reccomend it to anyone.

You should have bought a gauge first then considered a new regulator and as a LAST resort change to a generic injector that are both the wrong size, you could have fixed all that with a new fuel filter and $50 to clean the injectors you had and you've spent how much $$$ now and still have a problem?

first off when i bought the car it had to primary injectors in it so a $50.00 cleaning wasnt an option i bought and tried 3 sets of (cleaned) and tested injectors witch all 3 leaked and where no good so after 3 attempts i replaced them with them with trilogy injectors i have replaced the fuel pump with a new one all filters have been change to include the one inside the fuel line back at the pump i am resonably certain that the regulator needs to be changed 1 its the original fpr 2 i did check fuel pressure and it was border line min

i was only thinking of a fpr 1. because of future upgrades and 2. i can buy an aeromotive for about the same price as stock one from the parts store or the dealer

my question was how is everyone installing them

thats all i wanted to know

not you could have saved xxxx amounts of money on this or that 1 its my money and 2 i have it to spend

if i was worried about the money i have a 500hp talon sitting in the driveway i could take the parts off of but im not

Some put them down stream of the stocker, it wont' really hurt anything unless the stockers starts to leak (some have). most of the higher end builds will cut off the regulator porton of the injector holder as decribed and add the nessesary fittings.

i am new to the star quests and just wasnt sure if how everyone was adding the fpr to these the dsm's are set up different you just add a 2 bolt flange on the fuel rail and add the regulator to that

i just wasnt sure if everyone was adding the fpr inline behind the stock one or if they were cutting it off or what thats all i was trying to find out