slipping clutch

topher87

ok so my clutch is slipping, could it be anything else beside the clutch ( slave TOB ect.) before i spend the time and bank for a new one. the car is a 87 quest thats bone stock and the pedal feels firm but not to hard and it only happens under boost like 5th gear cruising about 3K and punch it is the only time it slips also if it is something else how do i check your theory??

thanks

the noob

sounds like the clutch is gone...does it engage when the pedal is almost all the way up?

thats what i thought but it engages about half way off the floor also if it is in gear with the clutch is disengaged and you floor it to 4-5k the car starts to move foward if in 1st backwards if in rev

Dang, you need to adjust the pedal so you won't be moving when the clutch is disengaged. Plus, it sounds like its bad anyway. Ebay clutches work fine for a cheap replacement, if yours is an 87, then you need the small (225mm) clutch, or upgrade to a 240mm fidanza flywheel and matching clutch. that's better I guess.

ok so i did some homework on this one lol the 225mm clutch is from 83 to 5/87 and the 240mm is from 6/87 to 89 is this correct ???? how can i tell the month on my car is (title, engine tag ect.) also could i use a 88 89 stock flywheel on my 87 and buy a 240mm clutch???

thanks for the input so far

the noob

Look on the door jamb for the production plate - a silver metal plate. It'll have the production month & year.

The problem/symptoms you describe sound like a typical worn-out clutch disk. Under high loads it slips... the problem first shows up in 4th and 5th gears when you "mash the gas" and over time it gets worse and worse, slipping in 3rd, then 2nd, etc. Each time it slips it heats up the flywheel a bit; if it ever slips/spins for a couple seconds that heat can "blue streak" the flywheel which pretty much ruins it. Even if it's not blue streaked, the flywheel should be resurfaced before a new clutch setup is installed - just like turning brake rotors when changing brake pads.

The other thing that can cause your symptoms is too little freeplay in the clutch pedal. If there is no freeplay, hydraulic pressure gets trapped in the line, holding the clutch ever so slightly disengaged... the same as "riding the clutch pedal." With the engine off, push on the clutch pedal with your pinky finger. It should move at least a quarter inch with almost no force - that's the freeplay. Just a pound or two of force... somewhere between a quarter to half an inch is the target. If the pedal is firm right from the get-go, then it's too tight. Crawl under the dash and look for the pushrod from the pedal arm to the firewall. You'll see a locknut (jam nut) on the threaded shaft portion. Loosen that nut and turn the shaft until you have the right freeplay. Then tighten the nut again. Note: if your car fails the pinky test, do NOT drive it! Not only is the clutch wearing quickly, possibly over-heating the flywheel too... but the constant "push" from the clutch pressure plate is shoving on the engine crankshaft. That in turn shoves on the "thrust bearing" inside the engine block, wearing it out quickly. That bearing is what keeps the crankshaft from moving fowards/aft in the block; when it wears the crank "walks" a bit and can start smacking into the block webbing. That's ugly.

The later style flywheel will bolt onto an earlier crank just fine making the swap to a 240mm clutch disk & pressure plate trivially easy. The throwout bearing, clutch slave hydraulic cylinder, etc. differ between intercooled and non-intercooled cars. Hopefully your car is intercooled so the 88-later clutch parts (which are all intercooled cars) will be a direct fit.

mike c.

ok so i did said pinky test today and the pedal didnt move till it hurt my pinky( i think about 15 20 lbs of force) so on the next warmer day ( its like 20 in ny) i will adjust the freeplay back to spec. thank you all for your help and ill post the outcome after i adjust it

thanks

the noob

ok so i did said pinky test today and the pedal didnt move till it hurt my pinky( i think about 15 20 lbs of force) so on the next warmer day ( its like 20 in ny) i will adjust the freeplay back to spec. thank you all for your help and ill post the outcome after i adjust it

thanks

the noob

Nice pushmobile :hmm3grin2orange:

Hey while you're messing with the freeplay you may wanna look carefully at the pin assembly that connects the pedal to the rod. They get worn badly causing a sort of click when you press the pedal. It also adds a "false" sort of freeplay to the whole concept. Those parts can be easily replaced with parts from Mitsu.

so i adjusted it to 1/4 inch of freeplay today and it still slips but not as bad so the next step is a new clutch any suggestions ?? i know it has to be the 225mm. also i checked the pin assmebly mentioned by edde and looked ok a little out of round but didnt look like an egg, the pin moved a 1/16 if that, in the hole. thanks for all the help so far

ps anyone know how much a stock flywheel weighs

the noob

With a new clutch, if you are planning, to be safe, to replace the pressure plate and flywheel...try getting them as a set. I've heard stories of some getting the wrong parts. At least, that's what I'd do...try to get everything I plan, want, or need to replace as a set.

Often when getting a clutch, getting it with the pressure plate as a set is cheaper than buying seperately.

The clutch is similar to brakes...you don't want to handle the flywheel surface where the clutch presses against. If you do...it happens...spray with brake cleaner. The same as the rotors would.

ok so i was looking around and i have decided to upgrade to the fidanza also i was wonder if anyone knows where i can get a name brand clucth kit/set (centerforce hays zoom ect) 240mm cause of the upgrade, i am pickie about my parts and dont trust the ebay brand also i would like it to have a more holding power and a higgher lbs and hp rateing cause i plan to make so more power in the future :hmm3grin2orange: thank for the info it has helped me tons

the noob