Nissan 4 pot front brake upgrade

Very Nice.

You made mention about the diameter of the rotors being different between flat and wide body.

Which ones do you have?

I'm interested in the design drawing for the brackets when you can make it available.

Thanks,

Rich

http://www.austarion.com/tech/brakeconversion.pdf

nice write up for the conversion.

Another good writeup, but they are using the 4 lug rotors and Wilwood calipers. The rotors are also redrilled.

I like the idea of normal Nissan calipers.

This would be super easy if I don't have to change rotors either.

You made mention about the diameter of the rotors being different between flat and wide body.

Which ones do you have?

It seemed pretty clear to me he has the larger brakes. It's a widebody/5 lug car.

I like the conversion. One question I have is about the brake lines. Did you need custom ones made or fitting adapters? The line coming out of that 300zx caliper looks different from our stock brake lines.

Not all flat bodies are four lugs.

85.5 went to 5 lug rotors her is the US.

Who knows exactly what the Australian Quests all had.

That is why I asked.

Australia only ever got flaties - i think there is about 8 wide bodies that have been imported from either japan or the US

I like the conversion. One question I have is about the brake lines. Did you need custom ones made or fitting adapters? The line coming out of that 300zx caliper looks different from our stock brake lines.

i had bought tep steel braided lines ages ago but had been too lazy to install them. they are longer than the factory ones. i used a tep one from the caliper to the original mounting point on the strut and used the orginal line from the strut to the body. will put some pics this week and update my site.

like the idea of normal Nissan calipers.

This would be super easy if I don't have to change rotors either

yeah that is why i chose nissan calipers. there strong and light and have a huge following with pad selection. I had already changed my rotors to slotted and drilled so i kept those - yes they are the standard size 276mm. No spacers or longer wheels studs needed.

I removed the stone guard for better cooling.

The brackets--are they available or have you had them made in quantity? Do you have drawings and specs for them? If we have calipers over here that will match the bolt pattern it looks like an easy improvement.

Please let us know about these items!!

John86TSi

The brackets--are they available or have you had them made in quantity? Do you have drawings and specs for them? If we have calipers over here that will match the bolt pattern it looks like an easy improvement.

Please let us know about these items!!

John86TSi

i did the design and got an engineering firm to cut them out of 10mm steel plate. Then i drilled and tapped the holes. My first intentions were to do a run of 10 or so but it was very time consuming making the brackets and accuracy is paramount. i need to get some further qoutes to see how much to get a place to make the bracket completely.

i want to clock up 500 kms or so and do a couple of track days to make sure everything is ok before i make either the design or kits available.

Please understand, I'm not knocking your setup at all, but why Nissan calipers? The 3000gt VR4 used calipers that look almost the same, and say Mitusbishi on them instead of Nissan....

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10108/normal_HPIM1858.JPG

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10108/normal_HPIM1857.JPG

Haven't driven mine yet though..... :roll:

Please understand, I'm not knocking your setup at all, but why Nissan calipers? The 3000gt VR4 used calipers that look almost the same, and say Mitusbishi on them instead of Nissan....

Haven't driven mine yet though..... :roll:

Quite simply - availability.....

EVO calipers demand a premium here and GTO/GT3000/VR4 are just as expensive. I refuse to pay 800 for used calipers. Nissan you can pick up for less than 200 for the pair. Makes economical sense but hey costs may be different in the US. I dont care what brand is on them its just a label that can be ground off if it bothers you. Im more interested in function hense why i just painted them black.

You obviously won't appreciate what i have under the bonnet either but i didnt build my car to impress others. all about personal satisfaction and taste.

well done on your conversion though. I admire people that give things ok for themselves

ooops, just noticed your locale. If there is anything you need from here in the U.S. I would really love to have one of your guys license plates and holder assy for the rear of a starquest.

And don't get me wrong....I'm really not knocking your use of the Nissan calipers, was just wondering if there was a specific reason....what's under the bonnet? :wink:

ooops, just noticed your locale. If there is anything you need from here in the U.S. I would really love to have one of your guys license plates and holder assy for the rear of a starquest.

And don't get me wrong....I'm really not knocking your use of the Nissan calipers, was just wondering if there was a specific reason....what's under the bonnet? :wink:

Nissan SR20det under the bonnet mate

i have a spare license plate holder. but its fairly big so imagine the freight would not be cheap

I am on the fence about this car. Why not just get a 240? ;)

basically a 240 doesnt look like a starion does it. over in oz widebody's are rare - as stated earlier only about 8 in the country.

modifiers all over the world are puting widebody kits on cars - as it looks great - widebody starions has it standard! not many cars can say that

yeah ive put in a lot of nissan parts into my car but i consider it improvements.

its funny one of the dudes in this thread said "it doesnt have mitusbishi on it" referring to my nissan calipers. Mate they are made by the same company nissan and mitsubishi 4 pots - sumitumo stamped on them. you can even see that on the pics on this thread.

My dad used to build hot rods back in new zealand. it didnt mater what car manufacturer made a component. if it was the right size and did the job better then labels can always be ground off.

i respect all of you taking the time to comment. I have to keep reminding myself that we are all different and we all have different ideas. I apologise if i have come across defensive. im just amazed at why a starion person would ask why i dont just buy a 240.... :(

Check out my site if interested

thanks

Jason

www.starion.webhop.net

very nice setup.

can you provide some info on that Nissan master cylinder upgrade also.

Artinist i havent upgraded the master cylinder. Im using the standard australian starion MC. I bought it new last year and so far ive clocked up 300kms after the caliper upgrade and all is well. there is more pedal travel but i havent found it unsafe or unusable.

as stated above, i'm not knocking any thing you've done, not even thesr20 swap. and i realize that the calipers are the same, which is why i asked, why not use the mitsu "branded" ones. you gave the perfect answer, the nissan's are what you have available. now if it were me and i put nissan branded calipers on my car, i would have ground off the nissan but that's just me.

• 1 month later...
im just amazed at why a starion person would ask why i dont just buy a 240.... :(

Maybe I was in a bad mood that day. I looked at this again, and you're right, no matter what the component, if it works better and fits, why not. As long as it's usefull.