My 1988 Conquest / Lots Of Images Since 3-15-06

BudweiserJason8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Man! That is one rusty car. That may actually be the rustiest one I've seen.

Kudos for keeping it on the road and trying to pretty it up as best you can. I'm assuming you realize that the rust will come back thru on a regular basis and you're not looking for a show car with this? LOL

Anyway, if the frame's good, run it. Using the rattle can will actually help you be able to periodicly refresh the areas where the rust starts coming thru and then repaint them to match the car. I do something similar with my Dakota. It was a huge rust bucket and was only gonna be a winter beater, so I sprayed it with a gloss black I had laying around after I halfa**ed all the rust repiars. I sprayed it kinda dull on purpose so that it would match gloss black out of a rattle can. Now when I scratch it hauling stuff or the rust starts breaking thru, I can go back and bomb can it with gloss black- Good as new :wink:

Again, kudos for making due with what you got. I hate to see SQs get parted out, but for me rust is about the only reason. You are a bigger man than I, because I've taken cars off the road for rust and parted them that weren't near as bad as what you started out with.

Keep her alive and keep up the good work.

Thank you, it most definitely is a rusty car, haha. I know the rust will come back, that is why i used spray cans, like you said i can just spray the areas that come back. The frame is in great shape, there is just one little spot that has only minor rust.

Very soon i plan on sanding the whole car down to about the first layer of paint, patching whatever rust we find and painting it a satin black and keeping some satin black spray cans around for repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

My blue quest was getting to look like that when I got rid of it, everywhere around the wheel wells and the rocker panels and frame was rotted through. I had to be very careful where I placed the jack or else it would just go through. I found some metallic blue paint, I think it was from a nissan or something but it matched up pretty damn close, between that and Bondo I kept it looking pretty good for a pretty long time even though there was no actual structural integrity left.

I also primed and painted an entire pickup truck with rattle cans, I painted it gloss white (about 25 cans) I didnt get a single run in the paint either, it looked pretty good. and every time I went muddin' I could wash it off and touch up all the scratches with some more gloss white spray paint .. it was great.