chrysler v8

JustAConquest

ive heard of a chrylser v8 swaping into the quest mounts but i havent heard of anyone actually doing it. i dont know much info about thr swap so if any of you guys know anything please let me know. my g54b just locked up on me so im lookin for a good cheap power plant. thanks

yeah i read up on his swap. he had to custom make his mounts. im wondering if theres any v8 that will fit on the stock mounts? i dont have much access to tools that can make custom mounts. i was hoping it would be easier than i thought.

yeah i read up on his swap. he had to custom make his mounts. im wondering if theres any v8 that will fit on the stock mounts? i dont have much access to tools that can make custom mounts. i was hoping it would be easier than i thought.

I don't think you would want to mount a v8 to the stock mounts even if they would fit :wink: You are going to have to make some kind of mount for the v8 engine to work.

thanks, i guess i need the mounts due to the power increase and weight. im trying to decide which v8 would fit. i know clearance is an issue. whats the best bang for the buck. i was thinking maybe the ls1 would fit??? maybe, i hope.

thanks for all the help.

most anythign will fit if you have the time and patience and money.

seems like the ford 302,the 340 mopar and the 350 chevy engines are the most preferred choice.

If I was going to swap an engine in one today,I like the 4g63.Of course I already have a v8 car so that would be by next favorite.

The buick GNX engine is the ultimate :D

• 2 weeks later...

You could do the 2.4L SRT4 engine if you get a Jeep Liberty 5spd. Cheaps I could find a year ago was about $1100 for the tranny. Then you have to get a custom Clutch kit for it. IT is doable but it hasnt been done yet.

Steven

• 3 weeks later...
because efi is far better?

really?

I get 25 mpg on my 4 bbl holley.possibly more if I rebuilt it since it is 4 years old and has 40k on it.Most of the stock quests on here can't say that :wink:

Carbs may work, but they're still severly limited in comparison to an EFI setup. Granted, setting up a carb is soooo much easier. :wink:

• 3 weeks later...
Id say if you do mopar, use a big block. the dist is in the front. the small blocks will have clearance issues using the stock mount location and the distributor in the rear. I think its sad to see a chevy or ford motor in a diamler-crysler-bishi vehicle. It just seems like the person doing it was trying to be "economical" on making a gas guzzling beast. Definately use an EFI engine if at all possible. save the environment a little, even if you plan to run open headers. nothing like trying to control a leaky fuel hose in the intake, aka carb. the 302,340,350 are prime choice because people look at the low cost of the motors/drivetrain. I pondered a 440 swap, but sold my "spare" starion.

A small block Mopar will indeed fit.

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10070/100_2149.JPG

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10070/100_2148.JPG

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10070/100_2150.JPG

For EFI, he could just swap in a Magnum EFI engine since it will now just bolt right up, including tranny and headres and all. Then just get the electrical system figured out to run the EFI engine and it's golden.

I would choose EFI all day over carb for a daily driver.

Turborusty

• 1 month later...
EFI is far better than a 4 barrel carb... Yeah you may get 25mpg but from experience you will always be adjusting or tweeking the carb as they almost always go fowl and seem to flood out in the worst possible moment.... Plus you can tune for more hp's with fuel injection and that has been proven in more than one magazine I own...

Very true, all the good things about EFI. It can't be beat, especially in a driver but on a Mopar V8 it's pricey and hard to justify expense-wise over the simplicity of a good carb. Could I swing it, I'd be running Accel DFI or the Edelbrock setup on the 416 in my old Mope... but ah, well, the tunnel ram and pair of 660 Holleys will have to suffice. :mrgreen:

The problem with the Magnum setup is that to be honest, I don't think it would clear the hood of a Conquest--it's a tall beast. Also, it won't bolt to an LA engine without swapping to the later Magnum heads (which also requires a pushrod and lifter swap for valvetrain oiling). There's ways around everything, but the Magnum ECU, like most other Mopar speed-density units, is pretty-well locked down; there are MP units for hotter cams and better intake/exhaust flow, but even those are somewhat limited to the combination for which they're programmed. Looking at bang for the buck, I think the Eddy or Accel setups are unbeatable compared to modding the OEM system, especially for a fairly-radical setup... but until I win the lottery or get an unrealistic raise, I'm stuck with carbs. Too many projects will do that to a guy. #-o

the hole debate between efi vs carb will go on forever. hot rod just did this test and found that with a properly tuned carb it will compete with efi on power. they just didn't feel like tuning that carb. but for drivablity efi is king. now power wise they both can do the same thing. now the price is where it kills everyone. i can speed less then 500 for a card and in take compaired to 2000 for a efi setup. so i can tune the efi with a laptop but i can get my lazy a** out of the car and tune my holley carb every now and then with a screw driver. laptop atlest 1000. flat blade screw driver 5 dollars. i'll take a carb.

• 2 weeks later...