Is Pyle a Pile of S*#T?

Gary

I have never purchased an after market deck for any of my cars. I'm starting to look around for one for the quest. I want a Deck with a USB port for memory sticks, Mp3 players, etc. There are about 4 are the market from kenwood and a couple of other manufacturers. I found the pyle brand searching on the web. I can tell from the price they may lack in certain areas, fancy displays and are dubbed a knock off. But for the price they seem to have some key features such as CDR/usb/dvd/remote etc..

Example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PYLE-CAR-VIDEO-AM-FM-D...1QQcmdZViewItem

The typical me would spend a good amount of money on a nice deck with gobs of features, just cause. I'll never use most of the features because I just want some solid tunes and will never do an full on dolby/elaborate or competition stereo system. Has anyone had a pyle deck? Good/Bad Experiences or opinions? Are they equivalent to Kmart Modifiyed stuff? Should I just spent more for a good name?

Personally I'd say go with the Kenwod- I've always had great luck with them and they seem to be cheaper than some other brands- even ones with the same features.

That being said...

Last year I acquired a Pyle 4 channel amp (75X4 I believe), never been hooked up and still in the box for $75. The neighbor's son-in-law needed money for his drug habit and sold it cheap- he didn't need it anyway, he sold his car the week before. Anyway, I bridged 2 of the channels onto the 12" Kicker in the Grnd Am and it has worked great. Plenty of power and really clean sound. Thinkin' I'll be trying to find a 2 channel or mono amp and put this Pyle in my Dakota.

As far as the decks, I have no clue.

Im a pretty big dealer with stereo equipment: from car auido to full systems in gyms/ arenas. Pyle IMO is just as good as anything else. most of the time kenwood and other companies dont even build their own decks/speakers/amps, ect., they just buy them from distributer and slap their name and a few extra features on them.

If you want a good solid piece of equipment, you can go with the pyle deck.

I have 3 Plye LCD screens in my quest. They are the same as the kenwood screen, but I just paid like $200 less for them, and they have more features than the kenwoods.....

I'm also a car audio dealer and wouldnt' have pyle anywhere in my store unless its the trash can. You would never find a pyle in any of my vehicles either. Even if kenwood doesn't build their stuff it definately looks a whole lot nicer when powered up. I've had bad luck the few times the distruters have had sales and we brought in some pyle pieces to have inexpensive equipment and that inexpensive equipment was inexpensive junk, which in turn is expensive cause its s*** you can't use. :lol:

Thanks for the info thus far. In contrast The other models I am looking at are the:

JVC KD-G720 $199 and the Kenwood DPX-501 Double Din $329. Leaning for the Double Din for obvious reasons. (crutchfield prices)

I bought several Pyle speakers, years ago. 6 1/2's, 8's, 10's, and several sets of tweets. Just loved them. Still got almost all of them. I was especially fond of these particular 1" tweets. They were (if I remember right) soft dome, and they had replacable diaphrams. The last time I called to replace one I was told by the Hindu sounding guy that he'd just bought the Pyle name, or rights, or something like that here in the US, and that my coils were no longer available. He did pass me on to somebody else who'd bought out his stock, making way for the newer, lesser quality stuff, who still had a bunch of stuff. I bought the last six diaphrams he had, used one so far, and have never had to look them up again. It's my understanding that Pyle was a quality, reputable company in it's earlier years, but has sold out and was bought by someone who wanted the name to sell lesser quality components.

It is true that pyle doesnt look the greatest in your car. But I must also say that if you dont want to spend tons of money on pricey deck, pyle is a good choice.

I dont have a shop b/c im a srtictly a dealer and installer, but I have a plye slim DVD/ CD/ am/ ect, in my quest and it is a good peice of equipment. Think of it like a honda, its not the most snazzy, but it will be a good investment and you will get the bang for your buck.

If you honestly want a good quality stereo deck tho, go with Alpine's $250 deck, Model: CDA-9853. Alpine is the only serious choice..... :D

as for speakers i have had much better luck with the ultra cheap speakers

30ish bucks sometimes 14 bucks for some 12" subs would last longer then the $800 speakers

only expensive sub that lasted was an "eclipse DVC 12" 1,500watt sub"

no longer own it but it was BA

stick with cheap.. the more expensive the less reliable