4g63 twin cam, flatside

evojb

Hey guys i have a 85 JB in australia, currently has an evo3 4g63 engine in it. Some issues with cas and firewall but custom setup to replace that in progress.

I use the australian starion 2lt engine mounts, direct fit to block. sigma gearbox, same mounting points as well, may be something like your mighty max box. bellhousing is 310mm.

Anyone else here done similar?

Check here:

www.projectzerog.com

Most of us have discovered the 4g64 that came in mitsu pickups. Has the same bellhousing width as stock which is around 343mm. You can use the 4g63 head on this block and only have to change pistons and a few timing bits. My engine is at the machine shop now.

Kane

he has one of the ones that came factory with the wide g63b he didn't have to find a block, all he did was add the dohc head they have in vr4s but he still has the same clearance problem with the crank angle sensor

just bang in the firewall

when spring comes and the last of the salt has been warshed off the road, i want to sell my VW and get a flatsider and put a 2.0 or maybe even 2.4 in there. a 2.0 swap could be done for very little money, using the 1G harness and for upgrading, you could use the DSMLink and all sorts of other stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought about whacking it but thought about the windscreen just in time. Decided to cut, things going from bad to worse, now getting hole patched and trying to add a sensor to the front of the crank, and delete the one off the head.

I'm already running a local after market computer, microtech mt8, but they aren't real specific on sensor type, any good sensor was the response?

Does the sonata have a different sensor on it that could be used, or do you have another 4g63 over there or something in the family that could fit.

My mechanic is wanting to make a chopper wheel for the crank. Is this a good idea?

:?

• 4 weeks later...

In the US we had 1 year of DSM's that had a sensor on the intake cam gear. There were also some lower profile CAS sensors.

My main problem has been the rear water outlets. I cant get it close enough to the head. I modified my firewall back about 2" and thought I'd have PLENTY of room, but after making the pipe I only have 1/2" of clearance. Its enough, but with a firewall moved back 2" I was expecting to throw parties behind my engine.

Ive moved my motor forward about 1/2 an inch. And the CAS clears the stock fire wall by 3mm or so, Ive also made an adaptor for the back of the head so I can mount the thermostat next to the throttle body.

I made the adptor out of 35mm pipe. Cost me $5 for the pipe and I made a flange plate out of some stuff I had laying around.

The thermostat now sits between the throttlebody and the head. I can even use the standard radator hose.

If you want some pics I could email them to you as I dont know how to upload them.

Jason

I checked out your pictures and was very very impressed. I made a very similar setup on the back of my head, but out of aluminum. The welder wouldnt let me make it as tight as yours and I dont have much room behind it. Maybe 10cm.. not enought to remove it without unmounting the engine (and this is with a firewall pushed back 2"). I noticed a few differences on your engine that we dont have... like the V belt setup, the waterpump outlet and a few others. Very nice stuff. I even posted a link to it on my site: http://projectzerog.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2375#2375

Thanks for your kind words.

The V belts are off the starion block as is the water pump. I also moved the P/S pump to where the alternator used to be and the alternater to where the A/C pump was. I no longer have A/C.

Not sure weather you noticed or not but being a New Zealand car its right hand drive. Thats why Ive keeped the P/S pump on the right side of the motor. And thats also why Ive got the turbo on a top mount manifold, as if its mounted low its hits the steering box.

And did you know that if you get a EVO4-8 inlet manifold it will bolt on (with a small mod) and the throttle body will be facing the right way. The only major difference is the inlet runners are smaller in diameter. Saves welding the factory manifold.

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that JAS, didn't notice that on your picture, you should post about it instead of the thermostat, has been the massive issue with the whole build.

is the signal the same as the cas on the back of the head.

In the US we had 1 year of DSM's that had a sensor on the intake cam gear. There were also some lower profile CAS sensors.

My main problem has been the rear water outlets. I cant get it close enough to the head. I modified my firewall back about 2" and thought I'd have PLENTY of room, but after making the pipe I only have 1/2" of clearance. Its enough, but with a firewall moved back 2" I was expecting to throw parties behind my engine.

95-96 HAD THE CAS IN THE INTAKE GEAR BUT ALSO HAD A CRANK SENSOR ASWELL AND THAT WAS ON THE 7 BOLT MOTORS ONLY IN THE U.S.

AND 90-94 CAS WERE ALL THE SAME SIZE ONLY DIFFERENCE WAS 90 HAD A LONG WIRE WITH A PLUG AND 91-94 PLUGGED IN RIGHT ON THE CAS ITSELF