Flanges

OutcastZeroOne

Hey guys,

I know a lot of us are wanting to make custom intakes and exhausts, but I know some of us are a little reluctant to cut up our stock parts. I have a few sources that might be able to laser/machine some stock flanges for the intakes and exhausts but I would like to see if there is any interest in this. Let me know. I would make them to the size of the gaskets to get the better airflow.

some ideas to make this more viable for you and your customers:

make the headder flanges out of 3/8 1018 cold rolled steel, it's less than 1/2 the cost of stainless, and easy to weld. It's plenty strong for flange material. It also warps less when you weld it.

Make the ports 1.900" ID so you can use pipe elbows, the elbows can pass though the hole for a smooth transition. They can also be welded on both the head side and turbo side of the flange for added strength.

Make the intake flanges in 3/8" aluminum, it's easier to weld as it requires less heat (aluminum this thick requires some pre-heating).

Offer a steel intake flange in 1018 so those with just regular MIG's at home can make a steel intake with inexpensive steel mandrel bends.

99% of buyers will not need/want those EGR/jetvalve holes, and by giving them the holes, you are adding to the work required to use the flanges. Those who do want the holes can drill them themselves using a gasket for a pettern.

On the EGR and jet valves, cut the holes in a standard pipe thread diameter so you can just tap the holes and go.

on the larger ports, I ment the headder only, all 1 1/2" pipe elbows are this 1.900" OD size.

On the deletion of intake ports, just the EGR an jet valve, both are small round ones.

on the turbo flanges, there are several mitsu sizes, and several less common garrett varriants (T25/ T28, etc), but most are just T3 or T4. there are also devided housing flanges in T3 and T4, but 99% of people won't need them devided. you can get these fairly cheap on Ebay so you may not be able to make any $$ on them. You could offer the mitsu flange though, that one is not made cunnently.

I respect your dads acomplishments and all, but I've made about 15 custom intakes, and FIP has made nearly as many, of those ~30 or so intakes neither of us have ever provided the EGR or jet valve ports, and no one has ever asked me for one. Same for the Austrailian magna intakes, those don't have functional EGR or jet valve ports either, and I know I've done about 30 of those and Glen about 40, so there are another 70 intakes with out them, most of them currently in use today.

"3/8-16 for the EGR and 5/16-18 for the coolent" those are bolt threads, not pipe threads. You probalby want 1/4" NPT for the jet valve and 3/8" NPT for the EGR. There is only one water passage between the runners, it's the rectangualr one between 3 and 4. the ones between 2 and 3 are EGR (large) and jetvalve (small).

Putting thse ports in will add to the time and thus cost to the plates. Do as you wish, I'm just leting you know most won't want it, let alone want to pay for it.

On the exhaust, they need to be 1.900", that is larger than 48 mm (48.26). larger by .010" , that's enough of a difference to make the pipes not pass though the flange. You can always go oversized a little bit, but underszed will be a problem.

It's a good thing you are doing, I hope to see it turn out a nicley as possible.

It's totaly up to you on the EGR/jet valve ports, I'm just saying 99% of the buyers won't use it, so best not to include it, or the time it takes to cap them.

Cool on the port dimensions, I just hate to see a port be .010" too small :lol: so I was making sure.