vertical doors

creed

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No this is not dead.

To those that have looked at the performance mods board you have seen what I have been helping with.

Joe and I are hoping, praying to be done with the major work with this swap this weekend, early next week.  In fact the timing belt goes on tomarrow, just waiting for the tensioner tool to come in for final trq setting. Then it is just small stuff hopefully.

With all the work I have been doing with Joe, I have not gotten my main back up still, but all the parts are here ready to be assembled.

When Joe and I got into this swap and parts finally starting coming in with regularity we finally got rolling on the swap. A few more fabbed parts, some wiring and hoses and hopefully we will be done in a few days.

When and only when that happens I will get back to this.

PPPPPLLLLLLEEEEEEAAAAASSSSSEEEEEEEE   don't put those retarded things (spinners) on a starquest!  Please?

i think spinners look good for show ,thats what i do most is car shows. spinners really draw attention at a show,now for racing i plan on using super stickies on my stockers ;)       P.S. i would rather have the hinges

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I cant believe that people are saying that $1400 is crazy for this conversion. Think about what you really need to do to accomplish this. Not trying to be a downer, but it sounds like its time to move this to the B.S. area until concrete plans are made and ready for buyers to show the loot!

I would definitely pay 1k for this mod, but post when ready, no more hype.

Similar thoughts on my part, I'm looking at the fenders and it seems they're seam welded as they tuck under the hood into the engine compartment?  Like one big seamless piece with the rest of the body?

MANGO

no fenders bolt on top and bottom and inside the door jam. they come off super easy.

I doubt that we will see a working kit for our cars soon- especially an affordable one. The amount of time to R&D something like this will be immense. A friend of mine has been working on building a simple kit for s-10s and some other popular cars. We have all the equipment to make them at work and believe me, I have thought of making some for Quests but look at it this way:

I design the parts. I machine the parts. I take my car apart and assemble the kit- only to realize it won't work.

I redeisgn the parts. I remachine the parts. I reassemble the kit only to realize it still is wrong.

Go back do it all again and find I fixed the problem- now there's another problem. I have to go thru the same process with that problem. And its not like you can redisign and machine new parts in miutes. We're talking dozens of hours- if not hundreds.

See where I'm going with this?

Once my buddy perfects his other kits I will be having him help me build a set that I plan to install on my 87. Hopefully during the course of the winter I will figure what is needed to make the kit and test fit everything on my car. Materials alone will be a couple hundred bucks at least probably more like 400 tho. If I can duplicate it I will, but at that point I'd like to make some cash for my time too. There's a reason the kits for even popular cars are 1k+  there's alot of R&D time in that.

Not trying to step on anyones toes. I applaud anyone who will make em- especially if they are a fraction of what most kits cost- hell, I'll save myself the time and buy yours. I'm just trying to look at this realisticly.

You have a good point but   silverkyquest  ( if he's still in this ) has a good source and /or connection and after they get made once you come to a reasonable price and i'm sure lot of people will want a set. And the more you sell the more your break even piont becomes a profit. And i don't know if anybody is going to want to make a copyright or patten on this or not. but it would make sence. Jope you see were i'm coming from :-/

Yeah, I guess I'm just a little negative since I've seen alot of carbon fiber hoods and fiberglass front ends and body kits that were going to be made and never were. It always seems like the "connections" people have balk at the idea when they realize they would only sell 25 units instead of hundreds.

Don't get me wrong I'm all for making some thing for my friends on here for cheap. I have my fog light covers I make and sell for $40 shipped. I only make maybe $5 a set at best if the shipping is cheap. Got a few other things I'm starting like refinishing valve covers and clearing tailights for a very reasonable cost.

Like I said I hope it happens and if so I will save the time of building my own set and buy thiers. There are many on this site who offer goods and services for reasonable prices- mostly performance, suspension, exhaust, etc... But I remain skeptical because very few body mods have ended up happening (except the fiberglass hoods).

• 2 weeks later...
Like I thought, hype- ;D...I was thinking today however, that the real problem with this conversion is the weight of the door itself and how to design a hinge mechanism to support the door and still not rip/ruin the frame to which its bolted. As usual with our cars it comes down to weight so I have an idea. I have a friend who owns a plastic company, not a good friend, but someone with the ability to create molds. I was thinking of approaching him with the idea to make our hoods, doors, and hatches out of plastic,  some type of composite. Now this would be a large investment, but not as much as you'd think. The molds are actually pretty cheap to make, but I wanted some feedback as far as whether people think this is a good idea, strength and other things Im not thinking of. I do not think that the standard window and door mechanisms would work for this as they would stress the plastic, but it would save a ton of weight and make it much easier for the vertical door to become a reality. Let me know!

Like I thought, hype- ;D...I was thinking today however, that the real problem with this conversion is the weight of the door itself and how to design a hinge mechanism to support the door and still not rip/ruin the frame to which its bolted. As usual with our cars it comes down to weight so I have an idea. I have a friend who owns a plastic company, not a good friend, but someone with the ability to create molds. I was thinking of approaching him with the idea to make our hoods, doors, and hatches out of plastic,  some type of composite. Now this would be a large investment, but not as much as you'd think. The molds are actually pretty cheap to make, but I wanted some feedback as far as whether people think this is a good idea, strength and other things Im not thinking of. I do not think that the standard window and door mechanisms would work for this as they would stress the plastic, but it would save a ton of weight and make it much easier for the vertical door to become a reality. Let me know!

Ok.  That's a cool idea for the hood, and maybe even a body kit, but with the doors, you'd have to make the windows out of plexiglass or something like that.  If you were to create a brace that would utilize the original bolt holes you could bolt the entire door lift and hinge mechanism to the A-pillar so you don't tear the door off.  You know, since this car was in fact created in the shadows of the Delorean, they must've thought of this too.  Anybody comes up with anything good, and we've just one-upped Mitsubishi.  If I can get my hands on my own Quest again (long story) soon then I can look into a design I've been thinking of, but what's a design without a prototype?  Just like every guy's got a penny in his pocket.  Let's start puttin' our pennies together to make a dollar, hey?  Who's got blueprints?  Any ideas?  We should all live next door to each other, that's it...  StarQuestville, USA.  

Shadow

I've been reading the threads on this.  An exotic-car door obviously would be very slick.  I saw a pic recently on a gull-wing setup.  Has that been pondered?  I guess it would be a hell of a lot of cutting.  But man did it look hot in the pic!