2000 T/A  (F-Body)  Front Big Brakes

Q

I made my own bracket used 3SX Performance 2 piece lines for the Quest which screw directly into the aluminum dual piston calipers , redrilled the Quest bolt pattern onto the new 12  1/8" x 1 1/4" rotors .Car stops great have had them on my daily driver now for a month . The pads are about 2.25 x6" twice that of the stock ones.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gquest00/alb...m/ph//my_photos

no this is not a kit

Peace Geo

did you have a machine shop redrill the rotor?  That has to be dead on other wise you will have a wicked vibration in the front end.  Also, is there an upgrade for the calipers to a 4 piston?  No clearance issue with the wheels or anything?  looks good

I am just curious why No one has used the 99? up mustang rotors/calipers... They are the same bolt pattern. Actually I think it started in 96 or something...

Gonna have to go by auto parts store this week to double check...

It's the braket for the caliper thats the hard part. The rest is easy.

The Big Brakes mod is not as easy as it looks guys...

YES the caliper mounting bracket IS the most difficult part to design. But you also have to take into consideration the size of the rotor, also the caliper size and also will the whole assembly fit.  After all that is done the componets will have to work as one and be able to fit under the OEM wheel and work with all your other OEM brake components. Basically you must increase BOTH rotating mass and brake torque of the system in order to make it functional and a true upgrade.

Yes Geo's system looks damn good I give it that, and it looks like he spent some time on it. I have NOT seen the system in person so I cannot compare nor comment on it in comparison in functionality to the my KIT, as far as attaching points, practicality, functionality and reliability factors.

Guys brakes is one area you should be VERY CAREFULL with as it can save your lives. I had a design flaw with my kit and I found out about it while testing the KIT and basically I would have lost TOTAL brake power and control to the car if it would have occured or failed. The problem was addressed and corrected. Lets just say I have denied and delayed the sale of some of my items as I was not totally convinced of their reliability and practicality. I had to be 110% sure things were fine before I release them. Even this will NOT make things street legal but a bit safer in my opinion.

And remember MOST if not ALL brake upgrades for ANY car are seldon Street legal ( MINE INCLUDED ) and in case of an accident beeing your fault this CAN play a role in the deciding factor of any liability claims against you. So make sure you understand what you are getting into before you modify ANYTHING on your brake system.

NOTE: Brake pads and DOT legal Braided Brake lines ARE NOT part of this topic.

Just FYI

Oscar

Guys Oscars right brakes are to be taken seriously . I did do the math on the size

of the master cylinder , distance of travel , caliper pistons , clamping force. As for the

DOT lines these are the DOT approved ones 3SX sells and  the pads are wagner thermoquiet's , I also have a set of slotted and dimpled 12" rotor's with hawk pads I just purchased when I change them out I might be selling the plain ones . I'm still running these on my daily driver with no problems . I'll be at the meet this saturday..

Peace Geo

Can you get us the specs of the bracket though, Please. It's like your teasing me with a t-bone steak. And that no fun. And I will make sure I lone the car to a friend for a month to test out the brakes. :P  ;D J/K. Thanks. Adam :-)

What is the thickness of the bracket?  Are the spacers that fit over the wheel studs made to go infront of or behind the rotor? Are they the same thickness as the other plates?  The pic of the specs is a little vague on where everything is placed too.

Just asking questions about the specifics,very curious about this.

Thanks for sharing with the community too

Derek

What is the thickness of the bracket?  Are the spacers that fit over the wheel studs made to go infront of or behind the rotor? Are they the same thickness as the other plates?  The pic of the specs is a little vague on where everything is placed too.

Just asking questions about the specifics,very curious about this.

Thanks for sharing with the community too

Derek

Yeah the diagram is missing 3 needed measurements.

two caliper bracket holes spacing, and locating info for the 2 bottom caliper bracket holes in relation to anything.

The rest someone can figure out if they pursue doing the swap.

If I were to guess, the adapter plates are 1/2" thick.

The spacers (look like the kind/type avail in auto stores everywhere) 3/16".

did you have a machine shop redrill the rotor?  That has to be dead on other wise you will have a wicked vibration in the front end.  Also, is there an upgrade for the calipers to a 4 piston?  No clearance issue with the wheels or anything?  looks good

I would bet Bear brakes or Wilwood would have the upgrade...

The brackets are 3/8" thick . As for the spacers on the hub I used a spare set of rotors and cut the rotor from the hub face that way I didn't add to the machine cost.

The only measurements I left out is the radius at which the new calipers mount .