Anyone running Ground Control springs?

I'm actually about the only one I can think of that is actively running the Ground Control's.  As for struts, I've got the stock 8-way adjustables.  I abosolutely love it!  It handles awesome.  Only (kinda) complaint is that without modifying, you can't drop the rear as much as the front.  Do get the front to drop a little more, remove the bottom spring pearch where the lip comes up.  The car absolutely sticks.  I also personally think it gives quite a smoother ride as compared to stock.  

I am another who's running a ground control setup. However I am running mine with special valved tokicos, all the spring perches cut off the struts, Stedebani camber plates front and rear w/ the strut braces to go with them, and the Stedebani Poly bushings. I also have TEPs swaybar kit w/ adjustable rear sway bar. To my surprise considering the very aggresive stance it rides awesome. I have it set at it's lowest ride height with just over -2 degrees camber inthe rear, and a little over -3 in front for playing around. I have to be careful over bumps because it's so low, but man it handles like a go-cart!!! ;D ;D If you considered your cars handling to be an 8 in stock form like I did, it's easily a 14 now! I've also got Kuhmo DOT legal heat cycled competition tires on which alone would probably bring the lateral g's up to a 1.0 :D The handling is rediculous now, and is still a step above the amoutn of power being pumped out by the built engine with a 20g!!!

DO NOT put this in a car you'll be driving everyday though. That is unless you enjoy listening to the clanging of the coilovers (especially the rear) everyday, or have a loud radio to cover it up.

DO NOT put this in a car you'll be driving everyday though. That is unless you enjoy listening to the clanging of the coilovers (especially the rear) everyday, or have a loud radio to cover it up.

Is it the Coil overs or the camber plates that are making noise?  Do you know why/Have you tried to correct it yet?  I've got the front camber plates in and the are making some noise.  It seems as though the stock spring top perches are not held tight with lowered springs on the assembly and  knock against the camberplate mounting nuts.  I put off putting in the rears till I redid the tops up front with an extra washer sandwiched inbetween the spring perch and the thrust bearing.  On the rears I noticed that the bearing has a play between it and the eclip, this may be causing your rear noise.

Steve A.

Call Ground Control and order a set of "tender springs" from Tony.  These are a simple loosely sprung spring that will keep the real springs tight  when unloaded.  Kinda hard to explain but basically they are a 15 Ib spring with lots of travel.  They squish down to around an 1" when compressed but will expand greatly.  I would think you would have to remove the stock perches to use these though.  I'm looking for a shorter strut to put in a modified housing.  I'll section out a bit of the stock strut tube and weld the top threads back on.

Yeah, I drive my 88 every day, and it's smooth and quiet.  I never get any noise out of my suspension... other than bottoming out over this one speed bump.  :)  

Are you using the factory strut mounts? OR do you have something in between the top spring cap and the strut mount in order to keep the noise down?

I have the camber plates and GC inatalled I made a bushing out of urathane to stop the metal to metal contact did the same on the front !

This took care of all the noise.

P.S. Ive had these springs on for 2 YRS and I love them ;D ;D

Jerry

• 1 month later...
More details about your fabricated bushing please where is it exactly and if you could use Factory manual terminology it would really help me out since I too will be doing this work very soon and it's my first time.  My rear camber plates have no play between the bearing and the e-clip but there is alot of play in the little roller ( the part the strut goes through) that goes up and down a good bit.  Has anyone tried working with Steve on this.  I'll call him and see what he thinks.

Are you using the factory strut mounts? OR do you have something in between the top spring cap and the strut mount in order to keep the noise down?

I'm using the factory strut mounts.  Never heard a single rattle out of them, except for one time.  When I went to get my tires rotated (actual remove from rim and place on the other side... just experimenting on whether it was worth it or not) they sat my car down real fast and my right rear didn't seat properly.  Rattled like crazy until I jacked it back up and seated it right (the 5 miles it took to get to my house)

==

Ernie

• 1 month later...
Does any one have any pictures of the Ground Control coil-over install with the strut lip removed or any other strut mods.. I installed my ground control coil-overs and struts about 2 years ago and it didn't seem to lower the car very much. I'd like to have a full range of adjustment with these coil-overs.

As far as height goes your going to get different amounts depending on spring rate.  If you just ordered the standard set you most likely got 400 front and 300 rear.  These will compress more than a set with 800F and 500R.   If you go with stiffer springs You may not be able to slam it as low as you want without other mods or going to a 6" spring and a tender spring.  

Just remember that slamming the car alters your alignment beyond stock adjustment and changes the handling/steering characteristics for the worse.  Yes some negative camber helps in the corners but at the sacrifice of braking, bumbsteer, straight line stability and tire wear.  More than -2 degrees on the street is to much, more reasonable is about -1 to -1.5 deg..  

So what heights (measured from the ground to the top fender lip) are you guys are getting?

25 in. rear

25.5 in. front.  

All perches cut, Tociko struts and GCs spun all the way down.  I might be able to get another 1/8 inch down but it feels more comfortable to have the perch screwed up the threaded sleave at least a turn or two.  I still have cheap 245/45 16s on the back that have a really high sidewall for a 45 series tire and 225/50s on the front.  Also note that this car has yet to move under it's own power with these springs installed, but I'm almost done wiring the Hawk and everything else is in so I should be up and running within a week.