Deep cycle battery as only battery?

Is there any down side to running a deep cycle as your only battery?  I just bought 2 yellow top optima batterys for $35 a piece from my local interstate distributor.  They were reconditioned and they gave a full 1 year warranty just like if they were new.  (Yellow top sonly have 1 yr warranty unlike the 3 year red top).

I have heard those yellow tops burn up alts in hondas, but can't conferm and see no problem running them. I was actually planning on picking when up myself. My buddy had a yellow top in his SPL setup car and it worked flawless, I beleive he had 2200 watts of power in that boom box.

I had a yellow top in my 92 GTI for three years, sold it, kept the battery and its been in my friends 93 Maxima for two years now. I have a red top in my quest and another red top in my Subaru, never had a problem, although I have heard people say the red tops should be replaced after three years...

• 2 weeks later...
I think the red tops have a 3 yr replacment warrenty and the yellows are 2 yrs.

Yellow Tops are 1 Yr waranty... mine lasted 2.. Kinda upset thats all it lasted for 140 bucks..  coulda got a Autozone special that would last that long

• 1 month later...

the yellow top is a deepcycle battery. they are typycally used for marine applications.

I am not 100% sure what the difference is but i think they are made to be used for slower drains rather than quick drain and charges like they will encounter on a car that sees lots of start and stops.

i have also seen them used often on hydraulic kits on lowriders.

they shoudl be work but they may charge slower. a

anyone know more about deepcycle?

I use a lot of "deep cycle batteries". There is only one down side........PICK ONE UP! They weigh a TON.......make that 2 TONS. :lol: Sure they take longer to recharge.........they have alot more lead in them. You'll never NEED a deep cycle in most cars. We use them in my boats and RV to run on the batteries for hours at a time. The thing is......they are DESIGNED to be run down.........WITHOUT DAMAGING THE BATTERY! You won't be able to CARRY two group 29s to your car. :lol:

I'm hooked on the "Everstarts" that Walmarts sells. 3 year NO HASSLE WARRANTY! Napa went from 18 months..........to 3 months and then they PRORATE the warranty against SUGGESTED RETAIL. RIP-OFFS!! Because I use so many batteries........much easier and CHEAPER to return them to Walmart every 3 years and get new ones for free. Face it.....If you let a battery SIT.....it turns into a CINDER BLOCK. :wink:

BTW........do you call a wash job and a recharge "RECONDITIONING"? :lol:

The red tops are made for vehicle replacement batteries. They are better suited for a quick large draws like starting your vehicle. The yellow tops are more suited for reserve batteries, like in monster car audio systems, hydraulics, etc. They red top also has more cranking amps than the yellow top. Sure, the yellow top will work though, especially for that price!

ADAM

I'm about to pick up a denali, I'll be putting probably 3 in the back of it. It will be a demo car for the stereo shop. We already have a crx sitting in the store, but this one will be for driving around. 1 yellow top per amp. I'll stick to the red top for the starion when the current battery dies.