Custom Hood....

88_ESI_R

Ok, allot of people seem to be after he 83 hood which I totally understand to help with the cooling and heat extracting but my question is this.....There is a member on here (can't remember his name) who seems to have done a custom modification to the right front corner of his hood which seems to allow cold air to rush in right where the air filter is located. Does anybody know who he is or what parts he used for this modification? Thanks

that member would be JAinsworth.  and the vent is the cool off the turbo,  although i'm sure some cold air gets to the air filter.  it's off a 280z.  i talked to Jimmy about it at the PF meet, but i wanted to find another scoop because i don't really want to copy anyone.

and btw, the 83 hood is totally not functional.  only appearance  8)

and btw, the 83 hood is totally not functional.  only appearance  

??? I'm all for looking good, but if it looks fast but isn't  ::) then what's the point?

I couldn't imagine having a non-fuctional hood but to each thier own. That's why my hood on my Grand AM is fully functional  8)

A:002.jpg

i think people like it (including me as well) because it's rare and it is very stylish.  now Jimmy's hood is completely functional.  on his black car, he took the temp of the turbo fresh off the interstate and it was around 900 degrees.  his red car (with the scoop) has a 14g turbo, and fresh off the interstate it was 650 degrees.  and when he popped the hood, there was no pinging or anything, the turbo was completely silent.  great mod if you ask me  8).

hey i like the way jozels car has the cut outs in the front for more air id like to do this to my quest couldnt do it to the starion cause the emblem on the front

The 83' hood can be modified to be function-able rather easy. It's just some well done cut's in the metal under the rear vents and making the slits in the scoop bigger. It also ways a little more than the the 84'-89' hood. I think it's  about 3lbs more but please don't hold me to that.  

That's a high pressure zone on the front of the car, cutting a hole in the hood doesn't really do anything because air underneath is trying to get out, not allowing air in....

Now if it were back further like a WRX hood then it would be functional because that's a low pressure area....

So yeah the 83' hood was just for looks, and it still gets them, and is in high demand.

Sorry JR but you are wrong on this. I'll post something I found here a long time ago. It shows where down force and lift is. As you can see the down force / negative pressure is right where the scoop is forcing air in and the positive or lift is right where the vents are, pulling air out.

http://webpages.charter.net/justind23/staraero.gif

Oops, my bad, I had it backwards. Even so though, the hood wasn't meant as a functional hood, if it was meant for it to be functional, it would've had those vents cut out from the factory....

Posted by: truthoflife Posted on: 07/15/04 at 11:29:01

that member would be JAinsworth.  and the vent is the cool off the turbo,  although i'm sure some cold air gets to the air filter.  it's off a 280z.

thats a good idea but it doesnt look that good for our car. he should've taken the turbo vent off a 1st gen 300zx (84-89) the one on those Z's is a much nicer vent for our. just MO.

I always wondered where the heck that picture came from? Why do we go by that picture as if it is the be all-end all, when we dont even know where it originated from? Maybe UL knows.

I'm almost positive I saw it in a scan of an early ('83-'84?) brochure. I think I saw it on that UK Starion website.

Yes, that's correct.  I have those all printed out.  It's a pretty sweet document hitting on all the snazzy components of the car.

I always just thought that JAinsworth had a plastic cover for a set of wrenches or something sitting on the hood or something.  haa

So, based on that airflow pic it seems that having the front vent for air in AND a cowl for negative pressure hot air exit would really do the trick! :D Yes?  No?  Whattya think? ???

-Matt

That's what i've always thought Matt. I've yet to be able to try it out but I think between a flex/ clutch fan, and an opened up 83' hood that it should do a great job of circulating the air in the engine bay very well. I'd love to see actual measurements of running temps in the bay with and with out the see what the true benefits are.

Well, the cowl induction would need to force the incoming air down and out underneath the engine, and not forward against the incoming air from the downforce venting.  I suppose if they hit eachother, you'd get more turbulance, but less overall flow without efficient air exits.  Maybe something on the hood to angle the cowl air down (by the turbo exhaust and downpipe).

You could check the differences by simply blocking off the front venting only, then the cowl only.

Jimmys hood scoop might not look as good in the pic but in person it blends in and gives a great aggressive look to the car. It really blends in and looks like it was made for this car not the Nissan! I was a passenger in that car and I can honestly say that the temp gauge never even freakin moved! He also used a heat sensor type gun thing at the meet and it was way cooler as the other guy said.

Probably the most effective hood scoop available, and it looks awesome too.

Paul

xkreal@aol.com

instead of modifiying the hood.

i saw some 1 had run pvc piping

from the airdam up by the filter so wind would blow on it...

if i got my hands on an 83 hood it would be functional for sure.