My Install (new pics 1/20)

jolyrgr

I am finally geting around to installing my system.

Alpine 7949 Head unit

Alpine ERA-G320 listening position/EQ unit

Infinity 5.25" co-ax

MBQuart 6.5" co-ax

2 Eclipse 3640 amps

2 JL Audio 10" subs

The install is slow going due to the fact that I am somewhat of a perfectionist.

While fabricating the new facia, I decided to try an experiment that I had been contemplating. I have always thought that the placement of the air temp control panel could be changed to the stereo console to allow room for my gauges( similar to the 280z) Much to my suprise, the relocation took minimal effort. Even the wires

(with a little coaxing ) reached without needing any extension. Here are some pics, tell me what you think.http://www.msnusers.com/Conquestcreations/...box.msnw?Page=1

O.K. the link should work now. (I can be such a bonehead)

New Pics 1/20

The subs are the W0 series(they take less airspace).  I had them in a Corvette in a 1.2cf shared box and the sounded awesome

The gauge trim had to be fabricated. No worries though, minimal tools and expertice are required.  I used 12ga steel form the local Ace hardware, A mallet and a 5" vise

(plus a little sandpaper and spot putty).  I can't quite decide wheather to stagger the gauges as in the photos, or to just mount them evenly.  If I stagger them, I will need to cut into the a/c vent on the passenger side center.  I think that the looks would justify the hack job though.  

As for the facia, yes it is smooth (except for the marks from a slipped dremmel or knife) ABS.  The picture shows the first attempt. This piece was used to find the right hole placement.  I cut the openings freehand with my Dremmel.  Although it was quicker, the openings come out much more straight and professional looking if you take your time and use a straight-edge and a box knife. I hope to have pics of the finished project soon (time permitting).

If anyone is interested in the dimentions for the staggered gauge panel, I can scan the drawing and try to post it.

...and to ralphyboy...Any idea worth having, is worth stealing.

The JL subs are good though and you can't beat the price however they require such a huge box.  

kev

Depends what series. My 10W4's take .70 Ft^3 each in a sealed environment and the mounting depth is only 5.25". They are by no means a space monger.

One of my complaints about my subs IS the price. I paid $155/ea (x3) for them 4 years ago. They were salty at the time.  

I got my 10W4 for $55.  But it helps when your older stepbrother owns a car audio store, hehe.  He built the ported box for more years ago and it is rather large.  Not too bad but pretty big for a single 10".  I asked him if I could make a smaller one but he said no, he made the box as small as possible.   So I was in the market for another sub for awhile but never felt like spending the cash.  

I need to spend the money on new components anyways because these stupid MB quarts are blown.  Those speakers sounded great when I bought them but it didn't take long until they were buzzing.  I burnt them up with my PPI A404 amp which is only 50Wx4.  The speakers were made to hold 50W RMS.  Also PPI and MBQuart are the same company and my brother swore to me that these speakers were essentially made for this amp.   Well, nope that wasn't the case, hehe.  

Kev, I have an A404 also but I fried it ! (calculated jugment did not work  :o) I also have an A600 (toast too). DEI (directed electronics) now owns Orion, PPI, and ADS.  I believe your brother may have been wrong about them being the same company as far as I know MB Quart is a munufacturer unto itself. I do love those amps though and I need to get them repaired but I don't know if I would use them because I have 2 Orion HCCAs ( 225r and 150r ) that do work. com to think about it I also have an USAcustics amp around. Distortion puts more stress on speakers than power you may want to put a high pass crossover on your mids you will get better quality sound. O-well I was board..  

I also thought about a head unit there (like a DVD player, single din). There is plenty of room.  The only things that stopped me were;

Not much support for the back of the unit, to prevent skipping.

and

I had a buddy w/ a VW Golf that had a radio(s) in a similar location.  Each time the unit(s) was fried by the heat buildup from the sun beating down on the dash.

If you put one there, you might want to insulate above the unit.

Good Luck

• 3 weeks later...
i moved my controls and i cant decide if i want to put a motorized in dash monitor up there (perfect spot for it) and putting my playstation 2 in the car OR putting guages up there .. i like that idea that you had with the 3 sections all aimed at the driver .. plus the guages are a hell of a lot cheaper than the lcd screen, and much more functional, and less distracting  ;D ...   do you have and pics of the guage pod before you installed it up there .. or a pic with dimensions of it or something?  also what did you make it out of?

The pod is 22ga steel.  I have to pull it back out to sand and paint, so as soon as I get a hold of another camera I will take a pic.  I will try to scan a pic of the cut-out of the pod assy. with dimentions.  The only down side of tilting the gauges is that I will need to cut into the a/c duct to make the last one fit.

I FINALLY got some time to work on the stereo.

Here's what I've gotten to so far;

I installed the first mock-up plate for the gauges in the old climate cont. area

Made the finished face plate for the radio console

updated the speaker grills in the doors that the previous owner "installed".

Re-upholstered the trim panel on the doors to match the grill cloth

Mounted one of the amps.

I will have to wait on the subs and the other amp until I get the 110 amp alternator.  Just my 50x4 Eclipse amp pulls the stock one way down (I think the regulator has gone bad ).  The amp just fits under the driver side floor panel with the relocating of the relays (once again no rewire necessary) and there is plenty of circulation to keep the amp cool, at least it hasen't overheated yet.

I put new pics up at the link in post 1.  I welcome all opinions/criticism.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

and you are going to share how you changed the colors in your next post right?  ;D ;D     -Jason

UPDATE:  i pulled it apart and figured out what has to be done .. but what parts did you color green?  the clear plastic things that pop out or did you just paint the green on the back of the thin plastic that makes up the face?  and what kind of paint or coloring did you use?  and how did you change the color of the temp display?

thanks .. i got all the orange stickers on the buttons off and the glass lcd apart  ..  i put it back into my car with the buttons clear for now untill i get to the store to buy some of that green plastic ... ive been wanting to do it for a long time but had no ambition untill i saw you post about it.   thanks -Jason

• 2 months later...