Electromotive TEC tips and tricks

well i'm using it on a vw but my buddy had a GM knock sensor in his conquest running tec2 and it worked.

it generally works like this if its a one wire sensor just that wire goes to tec2 knock port. if its a 2 wire then one goes to ground and the other goes to the knock port on tec2.

to test the knock sensor what you do is go into the tec2 settings and adjust knock sensitivity down to 5 or 10. and retard to 5-10 degrees. then just have the car running and use a whench and tap on the knock sensor bolt. that will sumulate knock and you will hear the motor pull back timimg. if just have someone looking at knock in engine monitoring screen.

I'm on AIM all the time just hit me up if you need help. derrickmd18

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, I have a couple of questions. First of all I have a tec II I got a few years ago for real cheap. I am just about ready to put a magna intake on my auto daily driver quest. Chad is making me a intake for my more modded quest. I was just going to get a fip ecu to run the magna and use the tec II to run Chad's intake. Now I'm thinking about just using the tec II now and getting a tec III for the other one later.

Here's the questions, first off I got a disc with the tec II and a manual. Unfortunatly I can't find the disc now. I know I have it somewhere but I must of lost it when I moved last year. Is it hard to get a hold of more software. Second question, I don't know anything about tec II or how to set it up. Do you guys recommend it on a daily driver that my wife drives a lot and that we will been using on long trips sometimes? Just wondering if it has a some bugs that come up every so often. Thats why I was thinking about the fip megasquirt ecu because it is pretty easy to set up and I am not going to be running a ton of hp anyway.

Thanks guys,

Arnold

• 2 weeks later...
I found out some really interesting information about TEC 2 last night. I was tuning my car and I was getting a breakup at 15+ psi. I thought it was maxing out the injectors. wel I went and got a dyno pull and guess what the TEC2 was reading 11:1 AFR on the monitoring screen when actually it was WAY richer. the wideband stopped reading after 9:5.1 AFR and it was richer then that. but here is what i found interesting the monitoring screen AFR is off. if you datalog a pull it shows 10:1 AFR and won't show lower which is what it really should read.

Just posting this for the TEC 2 guys. don't truse the monitoring screen datalog and review the log for actual AFR readings.

I'm using the AEM UEGO narrow band output and even data loggin its either 10 or 14.7 with a few datapoints scattered in between. I haven't determind if its the output or the tech as the problem. The UEGO gague reads ok though. This is frustrating since I was planning on using my data logs for 90% of my tunning.

hmm must not have been on here for a while. well I got Innovate LC-1 working on TEC2. it reads it perfectly and been tested by me. I was runinng it on tec 2 for about a month then uninstalled it to ship to NY to get it fitting for my Megasquirt harness. I have the information here: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/...read.php?t=2823

here is the setting I used:

http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/medium/egocal.jpg

http://forum.vwsport.com/pics/data/500/lm-1analog1.jpg

they worked perfect and I dataloged both to verify.

I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out what I need for sensors. I have a new 3 bar map and a coolant temp. Then I have used o2 that I got with my tec 2 and some other sensor that I think is some type of intake air temp sensor. I'm running the magna with the ford tb and tps. Anything else I should be getting?

Cool thanks art so I have everything I need to get it going then. When you say the rest are optional, what other sensors would be nice to have? As far as monitoring and driveablity.

Thank You !

hmm must not have been on here for a while. well I got Innovate LC-1 working on TEC2. it reads it perfectly and been tested by me. I was runinng it on tec 2 for about a month then uninstalled it to ship to NY to get it fitting for my Megasquirt harness. I have the information here: http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/forums/...read.php?t=2823

So you are using a narrow band output from the LC-1. I talked to AEM and did a few test to see if it was my sensor or the gauge was giving a bad output. I'm pretty sure its the gauge so they told me to send the gauge and the sensor back and they would calibrate it. The car will be down will I fix the intake so it no big deal. I might have to recalibrate the O2 in the tec software. The UEGO came with a chart of expected voltages for corresponding Lambda readings.

What are you guys using for plug wires that has EMI suppression? I was looking at the Magnecor wires but I can only find them pre-cut and I don't know what kind of car would have long enough wires.

And where did you mount the coil pack/ecu?

Thanks!

Try Taylor wires. I got a kit intended to be used on an 8cyl car so I have an extra set of plugs now. I mounted my box in front of the driver side shock tower. I believe Art took his apart and mounted the coils under the hood but the remaining electronics are inside the car.

I am using MSD and am pretty happy with them. if you dont mind paying the extra to get the magancores, they do build custom sets. all you gotta do is email them. they get back to you pretty quickly.

• 1 month later...

Derrick

I just looked more closely at your O2 calibrations. I looks like you are using 5 of the 10 settings to read rich. In a turbo aplication I think it should be the opposite since you don't ever want to be running leaner than 13.5 except decel and idle... right. It seems like you are wasting setpoints on values you will hopefully never see.

On a different note. I assume you take the output voltage of the sensor and multiple it by 5 since the tec is looking for a 0 to 5 volt refference. Dose this sound right?

• 2 months later...
anyone else do any data logging? I was looking at logs from the track this weekend and noticed my timing at full boost and wide open throttle is set to 21 but I was seeing 19 in the logs. I'm just wondering why? Is there addition correction or a parameter set that's adjusting the timing? I looked but could not find any.

Actually I found that when intake temp goes above 130 it pulls timing out. It in the sensor parameters section of the advance tuning options. Its actually a good idea. At the track on Sunday idle my intake temps were 46 degrees C and at the top end of the track at 30 psi I saw 50 degrees C. I'm gonna start looking into meth injection. :twisted:

• 3 weeks later...
supposedly after further diagnosis. it did turn out to be an intermitent problem with the coil(s). one was almost dead, one was on its last leg. they gave the ECU a clean bill of health.

I just got the unit back. the new coils they put on are larger than the previous ones and seem a lot heavier ;). my TEC II was 12-13 years old so i guess they upgraded them lately.

charged me $70 for two coils and $70 for labor.

I'm having a similar problem, it idles real lean no mater how much fuel I give it. It gets worse once the car gets warmed up to operating temp. it drives ok not great on the street but won't idle for crap, pops and stutters and surges. It idles around 15+:1 a/f no matter home much fuel I give it. I talked to Nick and I'll be sending my system in next week to get check out. I would really like to go racing this weekend. We have a spare Tec at the shop so tomorrow I plan to swap coils and see if that fixes the problem other wise I have no idea.

Does this sound like your problem Art?