another magna installed

I posted this in the middle of a thread on the b/s board so I figured I'd put it here too, with a few additions, for the people who don't go there much.  (Like me) I have a ton of work left to do.  In my haste I was only able to do the cleaning that would be impossible with the engine in, so it's still dirty.  I have to get the IC pipe welded and I want to do the turbo to IC pipe in aluminum as well.  Also need flange for BOV,  and some vacuum ports, and the turbo inlet is obviously temporary so it's by no means ready to run or show but that's all stuff I can tinker with at home.  I spent about 80 hours in the hobby shop at $3.00 an hour to get it where it is including the installation of ALL the Stedabani stuff, GCs and tokicos, and new steering parts, and an engine rebuild/refresh.  I'm not complaining though, I have a feeling $240 is a bit less than it would have cost to have the work done at a shop, not to mention the fact that I KNOW every single connection is soldered with no cold joints and all wires are well insulated.  When I tore out the harness from CNM's S.I.D. package that James installed, not a single connection was soldered, he used those end-to-end wire connectors and it was no freaking wonder the thing never worked because two of the wires had pulled out when I unwrapped it all.  I was so disgusted.  I payed for everything but the computer when I had that done so I wasted about $900.  Please let me find him someday.  I wish now that I had at least torn the harness out and fixed it myself so I could have used the SID 'till now.  I feel sure I can use it on another car though, now that I've seen the problems with his installation.

This first link has links to the rest of the pics in case you care to keep any for reference or whatever.

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/Pics.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/before.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/actualb4.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/confused.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/thanksmikek.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/spagetti1.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/spagetti2.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/spagetti3.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/timingissues.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/intoit.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/dirtybutnice.html

http://www.geocities.com/chip_lee_iii/straight.html

OK, i guess they work on and off.

btw AWSOME CAR, NICE TURBO ALSO, I cant wait to start on my intake Swap. And you guys are making it a hole lot easer on me THX a lot guy :) My set up will not so so exotic as your guys tho, just a stock turbo, and non rebuilt engine.

Hey Chip - I sure miss the hobby shops ---- I spent 3 months with my old Firebird at Pendletons Hobby Shop in 1986 --- It was basically free then to use it !! I think I paid a small fee to store the car all that time , wasnt $3 an hour . Man I sure miss the use of the sandblasting box they had among other things !! The lifts !! The tools !! I used to go every night (walk there) after work till it closed then walk to the barracks . I got so frustrated every night when they closed but it was a good thing otherwise I would have stayed all night . I still practice what I learned there about keeping everything cleaned up and in order !

Yeah times have changed shocktroop.  Storage is $30/month, the sandblaster is $3/hour with a 1hour minimum even if you're only cleaning a few bolts.  You can mount your tires there but you do it yourself and it still costs $5/tire. all this is on top of the $3/hour to be in a stall. You can Get your rotors turned for $6 each.  And if you want to build a motor on a stand, you have to rent a stall to do it in.  You can't just work over in the corner or something for free.  I just keep trying to imagine what it would be like pulling the whole rearend out of the car without a lift and those hydraulic tables you can raise and lower stuff with.  They have all the necessary tools so one person can do anything to a car.  I dropped the complete rearend, halfshafts hubs a-arms springs and struts attached in about 1.5 hours and I was taking my time.  When the motor went back in I was all alone.  The right tool for the job saves a TON of frustration.  Engine levelers, enough air to keep up with 20 die grinders, and just time saving stuff you could never buy, and if you rented it you'd spend whatever time it saves driving to get it.  They've gottenjz about safety though.  They don't have a welder for instance, because too many kids ALMOST started fires.  Man if they had a tig welder I'd be a fabricating fool by now.  It is a very nice benefit to being in the military despite the cost.  Only problem is I'm about the only O that goes in there for anything other than an oil change.  So all the motorheads I meet are E-dogs putting cold air intakes, and side marker lights and SI-R stickers on their civics.  I can't even work on my girlfriends car there now though.  the car has to rate use of the facility just like the person does.  I guess on a big base those controls are necessary.

Hey - so you went from enlisted to Officer . Thats cool ! What a difference it is I bet ! Better pay for a O1-E thru O3-E ! Shocktroop ? Anyhow , I heard it is kinda the sissy Corps these days as it was kinda heading that way in the 80's .  ;)  I always thought it would be cool to go from one side of the coin to the other . Bet your arm gets tired though (or do they salute anymore?) I used to love popping that salute to Officers , we would line up single file when we see one heading our way and space ourselves a little  ;D

The best thing about making the change is that you know all the E-tricks.  When devildogs do that to me I smile and say "carry on gents".  Shocktroop is common now, Devildog, shocktroop, along that line.  And YES they still salute, having been a Marine I would think you could assume that brother.   I was an 0311 when I was enlisted. So yeah it was worlds apart from what I'm doing now.  The attitude is the same. I absolutely love being on a Marine Corps Base after training with the Navy for 3 years I can't wait to get to MCAS Beaufort.  Marines know their place in our nation's defense and they're comfortable on the tip of the spear.   I'm not a big proponant of the sissy corps idea.  I understand the reasons behind that thinking and I'm sure recruit training is much easier now.  But PFT standards are higher, educational requirements for promotion are tougher.  Gen. Jones (the commandant) knows the Marine Corps has to change with the times to avoid being swallowed up by the Army.  Besides, all those old timers who got beat around in basic only wish they'd gone through when it was like it is now.  It didn't make them any harder.  You are no harder than me I assure you ;D.  Indeed the job is the same, and the men doing it are painfully aware of their role.  What I worry about the most is that society's view of the Marine Corps will change, because those expectations have alot to do with the kind of people the Marine Corps recruits.  After all every Marine was once a civilian who had an opinion about the Marine Corps.  As long as society sees Marines as the best, then we will make new Marines who aspire to be one of the best, at something, and the Corps will continue to be what it's always been;  The world's premiere fighting force. Excuse me I get on my USMC soap box every now and then.  I think the pic is hilarious.

Man , Uh , I mean SIR - I just cant get into that Shocktroop crap , YUK ! My god where did that come from . Atleast DEVIL DOG came from somewhere , I don't have to tell you the story behind that ! Congrats though on making the transition ! You must be some Marine ! I can guarantee you that you are "harder" than my fat a** is now . I said it would never happen to me - but I got that belly thing going . Not real bad but noticeable ! SEMPER FI - you seem like one cool officer to me ! I had one hell of a time relating to Officers when I was in but since I got out I realized they are just like me only with a different Title . Anyway , I am 35 now and sometimes wish i had stayed in , I miss some of it ! I could retire in 2 years if I were still in ! At the ripe old age of 37 !

That is a beautiful car man.  I really like all the polished pieces, they set it off.  What size turbo is that?  I like the new intake setup too.  That is going to be a ton better than that POS stock piece.  I remember when the Marine's recruiter was talking to my friends and I about joining and they mentioned the hobby shops.  Sounded good but now I work at a high performance Ford shop so I don't need it.  LOL

Nice work Chip.  It really looks good.  Its a very clean install, not all hacked up.  It looks factory in a steriod kind of way, which I like.  I wanted to know where you got your i/c hose clamps?  Much better than the standard hose clamps.  I've seen them on some race aplications but don't know where to purchase them.  good luck with dialing it in.

Heefner, they're T-bolt clamps and you're right they are way better than the average clamp.  A similar clamp is used on jet engines and they have ungodly clamping power, good when you want to run over 20psi like i will.  Turns out I probably could have gotten some "over usable service life" clamps from the maintainers here at oceana, stuff that would never fail in a car but can't be trusted on the hornet anymore.  I payed too much at hosetechniques.com about $7 per clamp, you can get them at summit or alamo for about half that but I don't know if they're stainless like mine, they probably are actually.  They are worth it, especially if you're using silicone which is pretty slippery.

starionboy, I'm not sure if you're in the military but I get the feeling you think a hobbyshop is a place out in town that anyone can go to and pay to use.  That would be an awesome idea but this is something the Morale welfare and recreation (MWR) office does for military members at just about every base in the country so it is gov't sponsored and thats' the only reason it's so cheap.  It is not for profit, the prices we pay are supposed cover costs because they use nothing but Snap on tools and they have to pay the staff.  

conquest351,  it's the "baby" 20g, with a TD05 housing ported, and ported wastegate and exhaust manifold, I'm hoping 25mm will be big enough on the wastegate to keep me from having the same boost spike/creep problems Darryl was having with a stock 18mm wastgate.  And it must be nice getting to use a complete shop for free.

• 3 weeks later...
Wish I knew.  It completely broke my heart.  We staked the place out where it happened every weekend for months with a baseball bat and a video camera never sure which one we would use but they never struck again so I guess it was personal.  

That looks like perfection.  This is the way our cars should have been stock!!!!

I cannot believe that someone would do that to your hood!  did they do it all over?  That kinda thing makes no sense to me....like the people that give door dings.

• 2 years later...

Can anyone help me locate an Intake Gasket for a Magna Gen 2 please?   I'm having a devil of a time.  I purchased the head from someone on ebay that was physically living in australlia.  The heads great and flowing like a river (190 exh. and 211 intake).  I have chads 8 injector intake with custom T3/T4 ceramic ball bearing, Haltec E11v2, and TEP's custome exhaust manifold with delta-racegate.  Everything's ready to go, just need the intake gasket!!

Thanks

Chris