Which EGT to buy

• 3 weeks later...
If you are going to buy a EGT. I would buy the Greddy EGT. I have only used the auto meter and the Greddy. I wont use a Autometer even if it is free. Love the Greddy.

What's wrong with the Autometer EGT guages?

Nate

From what I heard, and this is only the buzz around groups, is that the probes don;t last and the gauge is innaccurate. Again this is what I heard.

Me personally. I had 2 Autometer boost gauges go bad on my. Went uncalibrated at shut off. 1 of the gauges went 5# at shut off.

For $50+ a pop this is BS.

I use Westach as the boost gauge has always stayed calibrated and I am impressed with th equality of them.

The Autometer EGT is to slow. It doesn't react fast enough. You can hit 1700F and the gauge is still climbing up from 1400F. You have to sit at a constant temp for a few seconds, which pretty much negates the use of the gauge.

Joel

As said before. The Auto meter probe is slow as hell. Not to mention it only reads 1600 degrees. It sucks. It might not suck if you have never used any other EGT but as soon as you do you will understand.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like the Greddy gauge monitors in Celcius instead of Fer... , F'. :P

Seems like it would be kinda' tedious to constantly do the conversion in your head all the time.

Am I wrong?

I run the autometer guage but not with the autometer probe. Whatever gauge you choose the prob will determine the reactiveness. you want an open element probe one which has the thermal couple exposed so that it see the temp change.  Some of the thermal couples are enclosed and react much slower.

Anyone here know if the probes from Westach or Greddy will interchange with the mounting system provided by AutoMeter for their slower probes?

Specifically, I think it's the 1/8" NPT fitting.

I had an autometer boost gauge went bad I called them, sent it to them and they sent it back with wiring and install kit for free. Im not sure if they are bad gauges, but their customer support is good.

It seemed accurate to me (but how would I know hehehe)

Anyone here know if the probes from Westach or Greddy will interchange with the mounting system provided by AutoMeter for their slower probes?

Specifically, I think it's the 1/8" NPT fitting.

I beleive they will as both are K type thermocouplers.

Call Westach to be sure

Mike is right, I couldn't remember if it was J or K type thermal couples.  Eveery EGT uses the K type (because of the temp range) so the thermal couple is universal. Its the connection that you have to be careful about.  Its best to call and make sure.

I had an autometer boost gauge went bad I called them, sent it to them and they sent it back with wiring and install kit for free. Im not sure if they are bad gauges, but their customer support is good.

It seemed accurate to me (but how would I know hehehe)

My electric boost gauge from AutoMeter was bad right out of the box, it wouldn't reset properly.

Through contacting AutoMeter for support I ended sending only the gauge back to them for service.

Couple weeks later I had a new gauge in box, with every wiring and vacume connection.

I agree their support is good, but it seems that their lesser used products arn't up to the standards that us StarQuesters like to see.

One guy earlier in this post stated that his EGT gauge reacted as quickly as his throttle, the AutoMeter gauge in my car is far slower.

So for me, I need to find a replacment, and hopefully, I don't have to redo the fitting I had put into my exhuast manifold. :(