caravan intake to  TBI conversion intake

I am begining the first stages on my Caravan intake swap, You get this intake off the Carberated 2.6L models, (the ones with our heads) and when u get it the intake has two small holes. I took this intake to the mill at my school, and begin making these two holes into one long rectangle hole. I then have to make a flange, which I will draw on CAD, this flange needs to be fitted to screw to the intake, and then to the throttle Body, for better flow of fuel/air from TB to intake the hole needs to be tapered in the flange, cause you will be unable to make the intake the actual size as the TB, with out loosing structural material, after drawing the flange out on CAD, I will then transfer via disk to the C&C machine and have it made (I will make many to seel if anyone is interested), after that I will put it all together and then voaila, a better more efficient intake

GOT BOOST??

turboTSI

I do have pics of my TB and my Caravan intake, if interested leave a post or email me, I will send them to your email..

I will be working on it every day or so when I get time, and updating just as frequently.. also I was wondering how would I post any pics  I have on the forum, they are quite large JPEG's like anywhere from 350kb-500kb

First off, get you a copy of Photoshop, so you can crop the images down to about a 480x600 image size, so it won't be too large to view on the board. Then use the 'Save For Web' option, so that the image size in kb's will be small enough for dial up users to view(under 80kb's for most images).

I still need to work on my adapter plate for my t-body, I've been slacking off quite a bit. Sad too, is the fact that my caravan intake came off of a Quest, but I wasn't happy with the restrictive looking adapter plate. Plus, I've been polishing it to a nice shiny finish  8)

i have 2 of these caravan intakes that i got with the intent to do such a mod but haven't had much time to experiment with it yet.

One intake I butcherd the flange area with the intent of rebuilding it back up to fit the stock TB without an adaptor plate.The other is still untouched and am gonna modify a 2-4bbl carb adaptor plate to bolt up.I gotta mill out the intake since it's just 2 little holes.

Without much more plenum area I don't know how much improvement it would make.better than stock but still limited.better fuel distribution though.I have no access to a chassie dyno so the butt dyno would have to be the tester.

I am still yet to install my 1gmas so modds are not a priority rite now.I did switch over to a mech adjuster valve train set-up.Even with a stock cam the car has a different attitude.The mech rockers seem to get more out of the cam.

It definitely revs a lot better and quicker.No lifter pump-up like before.I ran the car up to 75 in second and past the factory 6000 rpm mark and it diddn't fall on it's face like it always has before.It just screamed.

i gotta get a different everday car before I can go mod wild.have had no luck finding anything but junk that's way overpriced.

• 4 weeks later...
i have 2 of these caravan intakes that i got with the intent to do such a mod but haven't had much time to experiment with it yet.

One intake I butcherd the flange area with the intent of rebuilding it back up to fit the stock TB without an adaptor plate.The other is still untouched and am gonna modify a 2-4bbl carb adaptor plate to bolt up.I gotta mill out the intake since it's just 2 little holes.

Without much more plenum area I don't know how much improvement it would make.better than stock but still limited.better fuel distribution though.I have no access to a chassie dyno so the butt dyno would have to be the tester.

I am still yet to install my 1gmas so modds are not a priority rite now.I did switch over to a mech adjuster valve train set-up.Even with a stock cam the car has a different attitude.The mech rockers seem to get more out of the cam.

It definitely revs a lot better and quicker.No lifter pump-up like before.I ran the car up to 75 in second and past the factory 6000 rpm mark and it diddn't fall on it's face like it always has before.It just screamed.

i gotta get a different everday car before I can go mod wild.have had no luck finding anything but junk that's way overpriced.

If you pay close attention, I'd say the plenum is much bigger on the Caravan. It's just hard to tell from the top if you are comparing it to an installed S/Q intake.

Caravan:

http://starquest.bluegtzhome.com/pics/inta...ntakebottom.jpg

http://starquest.bluegtzhome.com/pics/inta...anintaketop.jpg

My adapter plate is alot less restrictive now, I've done some serious grinding on the inside of it. But this is still the only pic I have of it at this moment.

Stock:

http://starquest.bluegtzhome.com/pics/inta...ntakebottom.jpg

http://starquest.bluegtzhome.com/pics/inta...emintaketop.jpg

what is the plate made out of and how thick is it?The flange osf the caravan intake is about 3/4 inch lower that the starion intake.

just bolt yours up and go i think.not water thru tb just under(good for street driving in cold climates)

i have one intake just like yours and one other thats been mutilated for a big tb and mpi.

Your plate looks like phenolic material and counter sunk screws.simple and nice.

The adapter plate is a chunk of billet aluminum, it's about 3/4" tall, and was CNC machined, drilled out and what not. I almost think it started out it's life as a nice solid brick of aluminum, that was milled down to size.

If I had some batteries for my digital camera I'd take some better pics of it.

Basically, it's about the same width and overal base dimensions as the Caravan's carb was. The screw holes were drilled straight through it. Then there is a piece of plate steel, roughly 3/16" thick, that's tapped out for the Tbody to bolt onto, and it sandwiches the aluminum chunk between it and the intake, the screws countersink into the plate steel.  The whole thing appears to set the Tbody slightly higher than stock, but I've got pictures of it installed on a prior car, so clearance isn't much of an issue with it. The primary water jacket that's on the intakes mounting flange(where it bolts to the head) was welded shut, thus permanently bypassing the Tbody coolant flow.

I'll take more accurate measurements of the spacer and plate thickness, and take some pics of them all seperated once I get some batteries for my camera.

The dimensions of the intake hole in the manifold itself seems to be about 1 3/4" by about 3", of course it's rounded at the top and bottom of the hole itself. This is just a rough estimate, as everything is bolted together right now, so I eyeballed the measurement. I've just about got the adapter 'ported' to a size I feel should be perfect. I've still got a ton of polishing to do(I want this thing to look like chrome before I bolt it on).

Here's a pic of it with the adapter plates bolted on, you can see it all a little better.

http://starquest.bluegtzhome.com/pics/inta...nintakeback.jpg

Sorry it has to be clickable, this forum doesn't allow me to post pics, all the rest of the forums seem fine..

You do know having such a tall a** adapter plate is going to affect the performance? I dont think it would be for the better but hey you never know. Just wondering if you took that into account? Later

Mike

You do know having such a tall a** adapter plate is going to affect the performance? I dont think it would be for the better but hey you never know. Just wondering if you took that into account? Later

Mike

Usually on like sb v8's long intakes, like high-rise or even putting spacer plates under the tbi or carb will result in power in the upper rpm's. So yes it will change the performance, just putting the caravan intake on will do that too.

Shawn

Yeah it will raise the power band but it will also rob low end torque. Just hope the high rpm pull is enough to make up for that lost TQ off the line. The longer intake runners may get you some of that TQ back though.

Later

Mike

We'll see what it does as far as 1/4 mile times. I'll most likely get some more base line runs with the stock intake, before I'm ready to bolt on the Caravan intake.

It is for the most part, our upper end that sucks. And as long as my turbo spool stays about where it is now, I'll most likely never miss any possible torque loss anyways. I usually hit about 5psi by 2000rpms as I sit now on the stock turbo.

• 3 months later...

let us know if it does not effect low end performance because i got a

caravan intake and i will follow your lead and do the same mod.

let us know if it does not effect low end performance because i got a

caravan intake and i will follow your lead and do the same mod.

I think I've given up on making it a TBI mod. I'm probably going to weld on some injector bosses, and do a full multiport intake out of it.

I figure if I put it on like it is, I'll never take it off to mod it.

• 4 months later...

see I did not put a large adapter plate on mine I just bolted mine right down flush to the intake...  and I got the TB to bolt up to it and it is nice and strait and flush no leaks... cant wait to have mine running.. if anyone wants pics email or PM me and I can get soem pics to ya.. also Iam gonna make these for people if interested let me now and I can get u a price

turboTSI