magna for under One Grand?

is it possible to go MPI with Magna, everything installed, including labor and stuff (my cousin would do it, he'll cut me a decent deal) for under a grand?  please someone tell me its possible.

depends on your stand alone.  if you run megasquirt or find a used standalone id say yes its possible.  id say you would look at $600 reasonable depending ofcourse on parts, injectors and TB could cost a pretty penny new.

i really want MPI, i think its the way to go, but i dont see any other kind of intake to do the work that i think will perform the best.  i just dont see the stock TBI helping me EFFICIENTLY into the 13's.  i want my car to be as reliable and fast as possible, although those always dont go hand in hand.

will a fuel pump upgrade take care of my fuel problems til i can afford the MPI?

I plan on going low 12s with a stock intake converted to MPI. i am using a mustang throttle body. the car will do low 13s now. i need a new motor and better tuning to get me down another sec.

• 1 month later...

A lot more thought has to go in to an MPI conversion than just your bottom line.

You might be able to get the car "running" with MPI for under a grand... But that's about it. At that point, it would be more for show than anything...If that's your motivation...I'd recommend getting some K&N, APC and Japaneese alphabet stickers like the Honda guys around the way. It will save you a lot of time and $ and still have the same effect.  ;)

If you really want to get in to it, you would want to run a bigger turbo to get use out of all that extra fuel, so that would set you back. Bigger fuel pump would run a couple hundred. AF, psi guages, O2 etc etc. You're going to need a flowy air intake and exhaust setup too. IC plumbing fabrication will be pricey.

At this point, we've got a lot invested. I would want to have the engine balanced, crank polished and add a set of fordged pistons to protect my investment. Dont even get me started with the JET head :)

Definately plan on adding $300-$400 to install a decent clutch, unless you're planning on driving the car like a sally...If thats the case, what's the point...We're talking HP here...lets have some fun with it!

J

Very hard for under a grand.

New injectors are $275 alone, then the intake, the IC piping, the couplings, etc, etc. You got almost $800 there alone.

Then another $800 for a ready to got ECU.

Don't think it'll be possible for the average enthusiast.

I got double that at least into mine.

I agree with Mike....I would definately look in to buying a ready to go ECU like the Hawk...a nice tried and true solution will end up saving you $ in the long run..and you will have a lot fewer headaches getting it rolling.

On a scale from enthusiast to hardcore....this project leans way to the latter...From my research, around $2000 for just the intake and engine control phase.

J

these guys speak the truth...  there's no inexpensive way to do it and do it right.  even installing it yourself you're looking at well over a grand if you're running a decent engine management system.  then you'll need to get injectors, $100 minimum for some used DSM 450's or similar.  Throttle body, probably another $60-$100 depending on what you get.  Re-fab intercooler piping, free if you have pipe/tools to do so laying around, probably about $20 or so for mandrel bent piping and $10-30 for couplings depending on whether you use rubber or silicone/nomex.  throttle cable for the ford throttle body ($?), wiring connectors for the standalone, good exhaust/bigger turbo to take advantage of the extra flow capacity (no sense in doing MPI with a stock exhaust and 12A), better clutch after you overpower the stocker, and the list goes on and on.  realistically if you're keeping the car relatively stock, going MPI probably wouldn't be worth it in the long run.

to got from a mostly stock car to a worming MPI and making it last. you are realistly talking about 2500+ to get it all working and going in a way that it will last for some time... I tryed to do it with the 12a lastest about 500 miles... killed the turbo and got VERY bad MPG 8-10 do to it under boost 90% of the time with cuise on the highway at 70 you going up a small hill 15Psi useing the cruise a tap of the gas and it would get about 15-17psi WITH the wastegate arm off the turbo so the thing was open at all times we made 13psi at 2000Rpms 15psi at 2500 and 3000+ ir should go past 17I just got spun to death. Next yes the clutch will not last to long Ithere. and then to realy get it tuned good should be dyno tuned or with a Wide ban on the street. 1k might get it runing yes BUT... last long no... I realy dont have any problem with it on the stock motor tho... it was fine tell we missed up  with a leaking coolent deal. well any how good luck on your Quest for power

• 2 weeks later...

Never cheapS#1t yourself out of a good running car. Save your pennies, even 3000 is NOTHING in todays economy. If I can get a Haltech ($1300 ECU) + Magna + Injectors up and running on a 1 incoming 3 (almost 4) person income, you can do it too.

Joel

• 3 weeks later...
i think i am just going to save this project until i get a new car and i need the engine rebuilt in this one.  the car has 46k miles on it right now, maybe when i get out of college.  i have awhile, im only 17.  too much money and stuff to deal with, i'll just see if i can get into the 13's easily with my stock TBI.