SDS tuning

Hello guys!  I have the SDS 4F and im lookin for a good base to start out with for the RPM fuel and other things.  I know there are a bunch of other people on the board with this system, just looking to see what you guys have. Also, i was wondering what the AT meant.  i was out drivin the other day and it was getting a lil hot, atleast i thought........the ET was at 196 and the AT was at 106.  Is this normal?  What could the problem be?  Thanks a lot for your time!

Kevin

Kevin

Please post the following so we can get this thing going...

FI size

turbo size

compression ratio

2 or 3 bar MAP sensor

Start with an ignition curve similar to this:

500   10*

750   10*

1000 10*

1250 12*

1500 14*

1750 17*

2000 21*

2250 24*

2500 28*

2770 30*

3000 32*

3000- finish 32*

A little conservative but that'll get you started at least. Don't go over stock boost levels!!! If it pings give more fuel. If it still pings start retarding timing 1* around 3 or 4 psi. You should be alright though, but need to know turbo to do the retard curve from my computer here. :)

The AT is AIR TEMPERATURE. That would tell you how good of a job your IC is.

My particular set up has never exceeded 176 degrees ET and around 11* above ambient temps so far for AT. I should say I have not seen AT's over 110* and that was on a near 100 degree day.

That AT doesn't sound way out of the ball park. Do you have an open filter near the radiator fans? And where is your AT sensor mounted? Stock IC?

Hey man, well this is my story.  Im in hawaii now and i bought the car off a guy from back at home  in new york,when i first got here, im in the navy.  Well my dad took it to NJ to get shipped here and when he was sleeping at the hotel it got stolen.  So i dont really know what to look for as far as sounds and how everything should be running.  The guy who i bought it from is real smart as far as the car goes though, except he is out of town for a while so i cant really ask him.  Now i think the FI is 750CC, the turbo size is 20G, the compression is 8:1 and im not sure what the map sensor is.  It has a 293 cam, forged pistons and everything else you would want to do to a quest engine!  so the engine temp shouldnt be over 176?  My thermostat is a 180 before it even opens.  Well get back to me and thanks for your help!

Hey man, well this is my story.  Im in hawaii now and i bought the car off a guy from back at home  in new york,when i first got here, im in the navy.  Well my dad took it to NJ to get shipped here and when he was sleeping at the hotel it got stolen.  So i dont really know what to look for as far as sounds and how everything should be running.  The guy who i bought it from is real smart as far as the car goes though, except he is out of town for a while so i cant really ask him.  Now i think the FI is 750CC, the turbo size is 20G, the compression is 8:1 and im not sure what the map sensor is.  It has a 293 cam, forged pistons and everything else you would want to do to a quest engine!  so the engine temp shouldnt be over 176?  My thermostat is a 180 before it even opens.  Well get back to me and thanks for your help!

Who's car did you buy?

You have nearly the same setup as I except I run the "super" 20G and 284 cam. I also run 750cc FI.

Here is a base map that works OK for me as of right now.

500   67

750   69

1000 70

1250 69

1500 69

1750 69

2000 70

2250 71

2750 73

3000 73

3250 75

3500 78

3750 79

4000- ??? 80

I have tweaked my MAP values a touch also. Try this fuel map out. Write down all your old settings!! Run MINIMAL BOOST!!

I start retard @ 9 psi and go with 2 degrees and gradually increase the retard value.

This map works OK for now for me. You WILL need to tweak the MAP values a touch under boost. I found the SDS MAP values were OK but needed a little tweaking past 8 psi.

Hear any pinging for example at 15 psi but not 10 psi, bump up your MAP values a bit in that area past 10 psi.

The fine line is keeping your fuel values low enough to cruise and not run too rich but you want to run rich under boost. The key is tweaking the fuel value and making up for the needed fuel by increasing the MAP values.

If it runs awesome under boost, A/F readings are ok, no pinging, etc but you run so rich and stinky at part throttle you'll want to decrease your fuel values at that RPM and increase the MAP values under boost.

How is it running with its present program?

Mike, let me know if you can come up with a good base map for me:

8:1 comp.

T4 turbo

3 bar map sensor

85lb/hr injectors

Start off with SDS values. You'll want to tweak the idle area MAP values (14",16", etc) and will need to tweak the RPM values.

It would be difficult for me to make up a curve because the injectors and turbo are quite large. Not too sure when the power peaks and how much air a T4 puts out.

Hey, i bought the car from ed87TSI.  he lives right near me but i couldnt buy it until i joined the navy and by that time i was already in hawaii.  But anyways you know a lot about these setups and it would be a lot easier if we could talk sometime not in posts.  Is there anyway i could get ahold of you??  Thanks a lot for helpin me out man!!

Kevin

• 9 months later...

i missed this earlier when i was looking to see what everyone was doing,

well so far this is mine.

rpm.

500- 44

750- 54

1000-55

1250-57

1500-59

1750-61

2000-61

2250-62

2750-63

3000-64

3250-67

3500-69

3750-71

4000-73

4250-75

4500-77

4750-79

5000-81

Im running, 38psi at base, 75lb injecters,. one vortec volume pump, one aero main.

using number 8 feed, an 6 return.One T4, an wiesco's pitsons this time around. 8 to something. anyways..

What i ended up with was to much, increase. An started to offset values of the rpm, by using more of the map vaules. The problem that i came across was by not having it linear.(it took off like a ramp) To much of an increase. on the slope. i talked to sds (the owner,. he just happened to answer the phone). An due to the cam,. i couldnt get the thing to idle,. where the tp location, an fuel amount came into to play. I completley re-did the rpm values,. where it was at the lowest, 61. An having the map values slope off like they are supposed too. Then what happened,. is the car, had a miss ( i thought,. which turned out to be the location of the tps, bouncing from the map values to the loading on the tps) the setting for closed throttle plate,. was not set to one up then what the computer was reading,. hence having say 15.4 other than 15. So the duty cycle woulde flucuate leaving it as the teller of the problem. Im supposed to call,. sds back tuesday of so,. to talk more about the higher boost an accelerating into them.

Now with map adjusted back where it should be,.. it rev's at part throttle like it is supposed too, with out the the miss. which in turn turned out to be the,. the flucuating between the tps loading an the map refrence.