anyone use a wintec 2 with the mpi?

Thats what I'm running with the EIP intake.  Honestly, I haven't touched the programing part because I havent needed to. The car runs great so I left it alone.  This winter I plan on tooling with it after I change t-bodys and turbos and such.  If I had to do over I would consider going Haltech simple because is more usere freindly.  There are a few other guys running the tech that come around to these boards.

I really like the haltech. You can run it with a $50 laptop that you can beat to hell and you wont care. Windows sometimes can have "issues" as we all know... I would hate to get a blue screen of death while the eprom was being written... I love the interface to my haltech, and honestly the HP differences between the two units would be minimal if any... haltech sometimes even more because more people find it easier to understand. LOTS of support out there too.

Joel

I havent tuned my car with yet because it seemed pretty dialed in when I finally got it from EIP. I haven't talked to anyone yet that said it was easy to use.  I recently found that you can't pull the bin file off the tech to tweak, you have to have a copy of that file to modify.  The only way I can change anything on my current setup is to write a whole new program.  EIP wont give out the bin file and the tech wont let me uplaod it to my laptop. POS!  This winter, once I get my turbo fixed, I'm gonna swap out my T-body and make a few other changes and meet up with Bill TSG and we will right a new program and retune it.  I think Joel is right about the Haltech.  If I had it to do over thats what I would run. ::)

The price is gonna drop on the E6K, as the E11 is coming out. You won't NEED the E11 to get the same HP numbers, its just got some nifty features.

You can save the MAP off the Haltech anytime you like (just dump it down to the laptop and make changes). The latest firmwares allow you to have 2-3 maps saved on the ERPOM at once, and  you can wire one of your outputs to switch between the maps!! Just think.. "Low boost map/pump gas" and "High boost map/race gas" maps at the flip of a switch! :) awesome stuff.

The Haltech will let you do DIS ignition just like the TECII, which i'm going that route. I'll be using some random RX7 parts, and if you have a crank trigger you are about $100 away from switching to a DIS ignition on a haltech. Good for 500+hp on the ignition, no need for MSD :)

Joel

One feature the Haltech has that Tech doesn't is the fuel cut rev limiter.  The tech II uses spark cut which IMO sucks Sounds like the engine is gonna blow.  By setting the secondary rev limiter to say 3500rpm for launch it allows you to build boost at the line, 3rd yellow dump the clutch and your leaving with 6psi.  ;D  NO bog, no lag, just the seat meeting the back of your head with a cool 1.6 60' time.

Yeah, Haltech has a two stage, and you set the type of cut you want, spark or fuel.

I would always cut spark not fuel. You can run cylinders lean that way. Most rev limiters that use the spark cut method with chop off 2 cylinders at a time for that cycle, then move to the next 2 and then back. So you only miss spark on one cycle per cylinder. Must better than just chopping the spark off to the whole motor, letting it load up with fuel, and then going to take off and not go anywhere fast. Also the spark cut limiter with a 2 stage will load up the exhaust with rich exhaust, and if you set on the limiter just long enough your 1-2 shift will be a nice flame ball... thats only good for burning your opponents to the ground however.

Joel

• 1 month later...
I am using the Wintec 2 with my Tec-II.  Having used the old software, I can really appreciate the windows version for user friendliness.  Plus, it allows you to visualize the timing and fuel curves in graphic form, which I used to do using Excel before wintec came along.  But there are some glitches in the system.  For me, the biggest advantage to the new system was the ability to program in real time using the Onfly option.  I have found that at times changes do not actually go in unless I reprogram the Tec the conventional way.  Also, sometimes the system gets confused and floods the engine horribly until you shut the key of and allow it to reset.  One other shortcoming is the autocalibrate option.  You use this function to "automatically" calibrate the Volumetric efficiency table while driving, but I have found that I get better results by doing it myself.

I really like the haltech. You can run it with a $50 laptop that you can beat to hell and you wont care. Windows sometimes can have "issues" as we all know... I would hate to get a blue screen of death while the eprom was being written... I love the interface to my haltech, and honestly the HP differences between the two units would be minimal if any... haltech sometimes even more because more people find it easier to understand. LOTS of support out there too.

Joel

I'm about to get a Haltech system for my MPI, what kind of laptop would be needed to progroam it?  And where can I get one?  Where can I find a sample of a fuel map or program, so I can get use to the software?  I know it won't take more then three-four hours to install the MPI and standalone system.  But I don't want to take a life time trying to program it.

Take it EZ

• 1 month later...
I already talked to him about it.  I'm trying to figure out how hard it is to program, and what kind of tech support there is for it.  When I go to the website all I see on there is TEC III.  I don't want to get it, and be left out on an island with it.

its a very basic system but u gotta know metric system and volumetric effieciency and timing and timing curve and all that good stuff        and if u call electromotive they have very good tech support theyll help u  out however they can step by step           im on one step but its too cold to try it its like 4 degress here