Adapter Bellhousings for the 54B NOW have T56 #'s!

89onaquest

Any differances between the gm & ford t-56 other than the bellhousing? Just curious.

I am in for a t56 or a t5 adapter for the g54b

Considering they are both Borg-Warner, probly not. But I am not positive.

That is just some of the info I am tring to find.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again, I am just giving my opinion on this, so don't curse me please.

I personally have seen many a T56 in person, we have many crashed Camaro's and Firebirds over here in the wreckers.  The Mustang's here do not run T56, they run Tremec transmissions, maybe it is different over in the USA.

One thing I do know is, as this picture states, the massive size of the T56.  Beside the T56 is a Super T-10.  Any of you old hot rodders that know what a Muncie Super T10, Rock Crusher, etc size is (or ever tried to pick one up, lol) will know they are very beefy for the year (4 spd) and would handle massive amounts of big block torque.  Now, look at the size of the t56, it is much beefier, it will require SERIOUS floor mods guaranteed.  It is 5" longer and weighs 140lb's, vs 70lbs of the Muncie.

http://www.chevyhiperformance.com/chevyhig...305_t56_2_z.jpg

I think first step here is to get one Quest, pull stock trans, try and manhandle T56 into place and see if this is even an option without a full custom transmission tunnel or sledgehammer modification.  I think it's just too tall to work in this application...

Take care

Shawn

I think the T56 size talk has gone on before, and about everyone knows that the floor/trans tunnel will have to be modified.

That is why I was first asking about/suggesting the T5, as it would fit no problems. And is just as tough.(depending on model)

I'd take either one but, honestly if I gotta bang up the car I probably will never get around to it. T5 for me is a no brainer, T56..... if it doesnt fit, will probably never happen for me.

That is also why I NEED info on the two trans, like the mounting flange info. becasue looking at them both, It seems a very good possibility that the housings could be dual drilled for either trans to bolt in.

OK, this is what I am going to do, unless I can get the info I need.

People have expressed concern about the mods needed to run a t56.

I am more then certain a T5 will fit no problems.

Since I have not gotten any kind of measurements from anyone, I have decided to do this.

I am ordering a bellhousing for a manual 2001 Mustang 4.6 DOHC engine. I found a good deal and I am going to take it.

SO, unless I start getting baraged with info, that is far as I am going to go. The T5 only. Granted, it is still an improvement over the stocker, but it is not 6 speeds.

Also, I am looking at possibly just making the adapter PLATES, not bellhousings. I have not called any CNC shops yet, but depending on what they will charge to drill some holes and cut a little, they would be around $175 all day long.

This is all up tp you guys, if you want bellhousings, I will do bellhousings, if you want plates, then so be it.

Let me know.

I was planning on trying to pick up a t56 this weekend. My tranny is out of the car and I could do some mearsurments. I might know some people that might have one lying around. I wont find out until this weekend. If all else fails, I might try to get on the trans am boards and see if I can "rent " one for the weekend. I will let you know.

I was planning on trying to pick up a t56 this weekend. My tranny is out of the car and I could do some mearsurments. I might know some people that might have one lying around. I wont find out until this weekend. If all else fails, I might try to get on the trans am boards and see if I can "rent " one for the weekend. I will let you know.

Great thanks alot. Remeber that the bellhousing is removible, and I need the actual trans-bellhousing data/measurements.

Ok, time for an update.

I talked to the foundry again, this is what was asked, and what was replied.

Can I get a dicount on the first casting so it can be tested to make sure it will work?

No. Still want to see exactly what I (We) are dealing with, but around $400.

Can you mill the work there, because I was told before that you could do that?

No, but we do alot of that type of work with a shop that is local to us, and we get good prices.

Follow up on above, how much does that usually run?

Do not know. Just depends on the quality of the mold that you give me to work with and what needs to be done. Another "KIND" of work (similar to a bellhousing) that has been sent to them for this was around 30-60. But he said, If I (he) sends alot up at once to get done, the prices usually go down cause it is simple repetition.

What would be the time frame start to finish for a run to be done in?

Depending on size (me around 20 or so) We could have those finished in 1-3 days, then the machine work is done when it is done. But usually they are done within a week or so, especially if they get a bunch of repetition parts.

Do they use CNC machines?

Yes. And it is usually cheaper then drilling by hand/machine.

So, again I need info. I thought that the manual would have a split housing, it does not, so I will need a bellhousing for this. It would be alot easier to take them the housing and just fill the trans mounting area and make it a larger flange if need be.

I was said above, T56 info will hopefully be coming in this weekend.

Also as said before, I will bet the barn that the tunnel will needed cut, replaced, pounded and modified to fit the T56.

I still need info on the 4L60E as well. I cannot do this without your help guys. This project is purely for you. I am not using a G54B anymore, you want the adapters, I need info to get them done.

I found this place, but it is about 2-3 hours from me and maybe 45 minutes from Joe. I say this because any parts sent/received will go through him. It is just alot easier. And faster turn around.

Also, when I do get the info that is much needed, I will be taking a small deposit from those interested to cover the price of the initial piece. Don't worry, it will be truely interested parties go equally into the pot to pay for it. The money given will be taken off of the piece that you get.

IE, 10 people, $40 ea, for sale for 225, means you will have a remainder of $185. Those are just examples, but to show the point.

DO NOT send anything yet, I will let you know when that time comes.

ZPI28, you offered a bellhousing corret? I will take it. Pm me, or I will PM you with the info to send to. I will pay S&H both ways.

I would be interested in a adapter for the T-5 for either the G54B or the 4G63. The T-5 trannies can be had used for $500 and below, and new for $900-$1200. You can get them on eBay all day long for $250-$500 used.

I was planning on converting to a 5.0 liter and T-5 combo, but if I can get an adapter to plant a 4G63 in there, I may just hold off on the V8 swap.

Chris

Ok, ZPI28 has agreed to lend me a housing to use.

So this is the time of truth.

I will be going by a junk yard tomarrow that says to have a 4L60E in stock and have agreed to let me do some measuring(If they live up to their bargain)

Backslider has found a T56 to get measurements from, and I sent him a very rough diagram of the measurements that I would need.

So, you Mustang boys are playing catch up. Joe and I have called about all the junk yards in our respective areas, and none have a mustang trans. I can still order that bellhousing, but I am now not postitive that it would be the correct one. It would just be the regular T5.

So conquest351 your up... your the ford guy.

So getting back to this is the time of truth, I need 100% confirmation from people that are in, because deposits will be VERY soon. I would like to have them by Friday the 29th of May(two weeks). That will give Joe enough time to get the bellhousing and go by the foundry to get more precise prices so I can update anything that may need to be updated and so on.

Again, the goal is (for now untill I know anything more) $400-$450 for the first casting. And hopefully this will include the machine work. Then it is off to someone that has one of these trans that they can mount and give feedback on.

So, if you are 100% in, post. If I have you listed as in, and you are not so sure, let me know now and I will take your name off. The people that post can see how many are truely in, and I have posted the costs are far as I know, so it will be split evenly amoung you. And your deposits will be credited to you when your housing is ready and the final payment comes in. This also helps break up the initial hit of $200+ bucks.

I am posting this for the future, once the mold and first casting has been made and tested I will set a deadline for people to come in. I would like it to be 2-4 weeks after the bellhousing has been tested and approved by a fellow member (whoever gets it) So say middle/end of July.

Also, once I have the mold made and the measurements down and everyone is happy, this is a very real on-going thing. Groups of 10 or more at a time can be done easily and religously if need be. I am truely hoping that everything works out on this, and once the housing has been approved, alot more people will jump in. I will say this however, honestly I really do not want to be dealing with more then 20 people at a time. It just gets hectic after that tring to keep everything organized. Anyone that has done a GP will agree.

Also, I almost forgot...

I NEED IMPUT SHAFT LENGTHS FOR THE MANUAL TRANSMISIONS. THIS WILL LEAD TO PROBLEMS IF UNCHECKED. AS THE USE OF SPACERS MAY BE REQUIRED.

I will almost bet that the T56 shaft is longer then the T5 one.

The ball is in your court guys.

Ok. After talking to several transmission shops I learned this about the 4L60E.

They tend to loose 3/4th gear after 390ish Trq. very quickly.

SO auto guys, start looking around. The junk yard refused to let me take the measurements even after they promised to let me do it. I have only 1 or 2  places left that MIGHT even have one in stock.

I am 100% in for a T5 adapter/housting. If the T56 does not need modding to the tunnel I'm down for that as well.  The only other condition I have is that someone do the measurement on the shifter to make sure it will come through where it is supposed to and I can use the stock interior trim.

Guest silverngray

I was watching tv and they showed a T5? that they were about to come out with (SEMA show coverage) that has a shifter than can be adjusted like two inches forward or backwards. Sure it wouldnt be cheap though!

Rico  

only 390lbs of torque? I guess that is still an pugrade for a stock auto, but for anyone seriously doing some dragging doesnt 390 seem a bit low? These engines throw out a lot more torque than hp.

only 390lbs of torque? I guess that is still an pugrade for a stock auto, but for anyone seriously doing some dragging doesnt 390 seem a bit low? These engines throw out a lot more torque than hp.

Yeah that is what I said. The 4G63 I am helping build will eat that in a week or two ;D

There are upgrade kits that you can get, but they add up to well over a grand.

I said I would share any and all info I found helpful or hurtfull so there it is.

Also, ZPI28 will be sending me a bellhousing this week.

Is the mustang tranny to fat to fit in the tunnel? Has anyone thought about the dimensions down stream instead of the bellhousing? Will the shifter (if gone 5spd) line up in the same stock location? Just some question I think that need to be answered.

As I stated before, I believe the newer Mustangs are Tremec transmissions and not Borg Warner T5, no?

I just picked up a 1993 T5 Borg Warner the other day and can take pictures or measurements if this is what is required.

I think before anyone can claim if it will come out of the factory transmission hole, you would need to know what the thickness of bellhousing or adapter would be.  You could then take measurements from engine back face to shifter, taking into account bellhousing/adapter thickness.

I quickly jacked the T5 onto the backside of a 4g63 retained in car and into the factory transmission tunnel out of curiosity.  By the time the transmission was level inline with drivetrain the very bulky square upper portion of the transmission had fouled the floor in various locations hence not allowing the transmission to retain any form of relation to driveline angle.

I think the very round and low profile design of the factory KM132 and the shallow short radius transmission tunnel designed for it will pose the issue of how serious the end user is in making a chassis fit a transmission, rather than a transmission fit the chassis.

Take care

Shawn

I want in on this, I thought I was put on this list long ago when I was highly interested in doing this. I will definately be making in the 500hp range, and I

would like to go with the t-56(which bell housing/ bolt pattern is up to you)

Please keep me informed and let me know when payment is due and all that jazz.

peace,

Kevin

As far as I know, I have -0- info on any of this.

I am just about positive a GM T5 will fit. They are skinny as hell. That is what I was looking to put behind my 4G63.

As far as Shifter placement goes, yes it is an issue I would love to solve, but I have no info on anything that I have asked for.

The mustang 5 speed/6 speed I have no idea on there size. Again, no info that I have asked for has come in.

The GM 5 speed, I have seen and handled ALOT, I would just about say without question it will fit. The 6 speed, again, info that I have asked for but not received.

I have asked repeatedly for this info, but no one has come through with ANY of it. I am looking at having the bellhousing in hand THIS WEEK.

IF YOU GUYS WANT THIS, YOU NEED TO GET THE INFO TO ME.

Hell go by junkyards, ask freinds, ask strangers, go to transmission shops (I have done all above) but all the info that I have found I posted.

What I know as per GM transmissions.(the ones that we could use anyway)

T5 Very good transmission, will hold upwards of 6-650 HP depending on model. The TPI ones are great, thin, plentiful and have losts of upgrade parts everywhere. And not to mention CHEAP at 50-175.

T56, Honestly I know very little about this trans. I have been informed that they will hold as much, if not more then the T5. Again parts abound. Not so cheap though at 5-1500. Wide, tall and long.

4L60E, again very little. But a few drag boys swear by them. They say almost no other trans can handle street strip use like this one can. I have been told conflicting handling numbers. Trans shop said depending on year, mid 90's is the worst to get. they can fail much past 390-410 Trq(from what  transmission shop has told me). While the drag boys are putting into the 500's and they are lasting just fine? Dunno, don't ask cause I have no clue. Kinda expensive at 6-800. Lots of aftermarket support. Looks to be about the same demensions as the T56.

That is all I know. The 2.6 has more then enough room for a 10" 4L60E converter. My 'G63 has no such luck.

If you have Info, please Please PLEASE post it, PM IT or email it to either one of these addresses, generationxracing@yahoo.com  or DavePatton42@yahoo.com

Shawn, if you have any helpful info, I am sure the guys will be much thankful if you can send it, post it or just flat out tell it to someone.