PLX wideband GP, can use any AF gage

Chad

I was looking at wideband units, came across this company:

www.plxdevices.com

Here is the responce I got for a GP inquiry;

Thank you for your interest in our wideband oxygen sensor controllers.

Our wideband controllers are already priced very low and our margins

are

very minimal. Typically what we do for group buys of 10 units and up is

to offer 10% off our retail price. Payment must be received in full up

front, but we can arrange each unit to be shipped to each individual if

you provide us with all the information. Please let us know what you

would like to do. Thank you.

Support

PLX Devices Inc.

www.plxdevices.com

They offer full digital display units, or no display driver units which, with the AF driver adapter, uses your existing AF gage.  This is a unique feature, you can have an easy to read while driving analog display, and an digital output for datlogging, and if you get the display model  you have digital readout for accurasy.  They also sell AF gages for those who do not already have one.  

From what I have gathered, pricing is already about 20% lower than the competition, and offers the same quality.   With the group purchase you get the non-display model with AF gage driver for ~$310 shipped, the display model for ~$300 shipped, and the display model with AF driver for ~$330 .  All have dataloging output.

That 10% discount comes out to $30-$40 off depending on which model/options you select.

Guest silverngray

I checked the price at techedge.com and there unit using the bosch sensor is 570.00 U.S.. I am down for one Chad. Even if we cant get a GP going I think that they will get my business anyway for that price.

Rico

The wideband O2 sensor is linear, a stock O2 is very accurate, but only in a very narrow band (14.7:1).  beyond that reading, normal O2 sensors are verry inaccurate (non-linear)  You have a hard time knowing any more than "rich" or Lean" beyond 14.7:1 when tuing.  The wide band lets you know precisely how rich or lean anywhere from 10:1 though 20:1, making it posible to very finely and accruately tune your fuel curve.

Yes, the optioanal AF driver will feed your hammeter, and any of the autometer gages, also any ECU stock or otherwise.  If you don't use the AF driver to run you existing gage the signal will be falsely high.  The wideband opperates on a higher voltage range than what the standard AF gages use.

That is definately a good deal as I believe tech edge is the next cheapest at around 340 with the display or 240 without(they have "narrow band" output built in) and the lead time for TE has been pretty bad in the past.  You might look into Tech edge if you don't mind waiting, I don't know if they'll do a GP.

http://www.wbo2.com

Remember their prices are in Australian dollars = about .66 USD

I'd be in, but I got the DIY kit and saved a few bucks-what can I say, I'm a cheapskate with a soldering iron!

This GP may not be aboe to draw the needed 10 buyers to get the GP discount  :'(  I only see 4 memebers interested.  I would like this to go though, but if there is not moreinterest, I'm not going to push the issue, I'll just pay full price.  

Come on guys, this is a great tuning aid, and you won't find a better price !  I'm not getting anyting more out of this than the -potential- discount, so it's not like theres any markup here.

Maybe this is the wrong time of year for a GP?

OK so you are talking about the analog output that will also need to feed our CPU. That is what I find most usefull you dont need to weld in another bung and have 2 sensors. That is really great. Like I said keep me posted.

I'm sorry but I had to laugh when I read that.  You consider the most useful part of a WB02 to be the fact that it will serve a dual purpuse and prevent the need for a second bung?  The second bung is 18x1.5 and would take any muffler shop 5 minutes and $10 to add.  If you get a little deeper into and it read about how tricky it is to get some units to use the WB signal for a narrow band output to the ecu you'll see that a welded bung starts to sound like a nice option.  I have two bungs, but one is for the dyno so they can screw in their WB instead of using an inacurate tailpipe sensor.  Having two would be awesome on the dyno because you could cross check the $10,000.00 dyno wb against your cheapo unit and see if it's reliable enough to tune from, assuming you've got some means of dataloging the internal WB.  

OBTW, the AU exchange rate is ALL out of whack right now.  More like .77 which sucks considering that during the first MPI gp it was .56.

Chad, you should really consider the techedge unit.  Cheap sensors for regular replacement of the only part that makes it inaccurate, and a very active yahoo forum for help with tuning and setup issues.  It's the way a few of us have gone.

Chip, the TE system uses the NTK sensor, at $200, that makes the kit quite a lot more than the Bosch LS4U systems like the PLX.  Do you know if the TE uses the bosch now?  it does not say so in the website, but that may be out of date.  

I have a degree in electronics, I'd be more than happy to put my own unit together like the TE's "DIY" kits.

paYeah Chad you must have an old link or something.  They are all over the LSU sensor now man http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/wbo2/default.htm  I bought two of them at $29 each.  

we're talking about the bosch sensor pn ending 7057/58 here and tech edge offers a prebuilt kit including everything you need but the sensor for $535au.

edit:  that site is kinda hard to navigate.  click prebuilt units, then TE order page and it'll take you to version 2.0, then auto redirect to the order page.  Or try this link direct http://wbo2.com/order.htm

edit 2: degree in electronics huh?  well if assembly is cake for you how about buying two DIY kits and charging me a little less than they do to assemble one for me?   ;D what do ya say?  unless my math is screwed up, at $200 au for the diy kit, and $30us for the sensor a person could get into the WB world of tuning for a little over a $100 if they could do the assembly.  WOW, is basically all you can say about that.  could you build it for me for $100 or so on top of that?

THANKS Chip  ;D, I didn't know they went to a bosch sensor, that does make it way cheaper.   I got one for $40 on Ebay a whiule ago.  

I'll go take a look, if they have adequate blueprints, I'll have no prob putting them together.  I'll have to build one myself before I promice how much it will cost, but soldering is second nature to me.  I can't see how it could be $200+ AU just to put it together...

Looks like they charge $535 AU = $380 + sensor ($40US) for the complete system $420 US

the DIY Kit is:

$200 AU for the unit, and $70 AU for the display, and $7 AU for the cable.  that comes out to $277 AU = $197 US + sensor ($40US), the complete system is $237 + assembly.  Assembly looks like about $100 worth of bench time.  I think I'll get one and put it together, see how long it takes.

you'll have to look through their website and make sure there's nothing illegal about purchasing the DIY kits and making money off their assembly but I'd say as long as it's not large scale, and always "a favor for a friend" then you're safe.  You're probably smarter on that stuff than I am but thought I'd mention it.

I'll go out on a limb here at the risk of being laughed at by cap'n omnipotent and ask do you guys see a performance/accuracy difference between the 3 products linked in this conversation? If so what order would you rank the products as far as accuracy?

Not that I really care b/c all I am worried about is keeping one bung......<<< this does ooze of sarcasm.

that innovative model looks preyy slick.  It does not come with an external digital display, but it does drive an existing analog device, like those AF gages most of us alreay have.  It does have an internal digital display, so you do get both.  Personaly I don't seen the need for an external digital display, while dyno tuing I'll be happy looking at the hand held.  While driving, I don't want to read a 3 digit display, I prefer an alalog gage while paying attention to the road.

It does have some nice options too, and they aren't too much $$.  

I don't think there is much difference in accurasy, they all use the same sensor, that is where the deviation it found.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...;category=43989

this guy is selling 10 of them for less than the GP price offered by PLX, and the shipping is FREE  ;D  this would be about $15 less than the GP price, and you don't have to wait since it's a "buy it now" auction.

I'll go out on a limb here at the risk of being laughed at by cap'n omnipotent and ask do you guys see a performance/accuracy difference between the 3 products linked in this conversation? If so what order would you rank the products as far as accuracy?

Not that I really care b/c all I am worried about is keeping one bung......<<< this does ooze of sarcasm.

hey how'd you know i was a cap'n?  edit: anyway, I can see why you'd think I was a **** after that post but it sincerely struck me as funny.  to answer your question here I think I'm leaning more toward the PLX because of its auto cal ability.  there is a very active message forum for the tech edge and I think that might be because the end user has to calibrate the thing.  The plx sounds too good to be true but I'm willing to find out.

Chad I think I'll just hang onto them.  They're like $30 for the vw dealer so it's not like I'd need to make anything on them.  I figure a new sensor every 1000 hours or so couldn't hurt.  later