304 SS headders 1 5/8"

Chad

Shawn, I use a $2000 MIG, tri mix shielding gass at 25 CFH, and 100% Argon backgassing at 15 CFH for maximum strength.  I use 308 SS filler on the SS to SS joints, and 309 SS on the SS to mild steel junctions.

to the rest of you, I'm looking at 1-2 weeks for the deposit of $150.  the GP will remain open untill I reach 10 orders, it may get extended if the demand it such, but I will finnish and ship the first 10 before any others will be made.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, my pay-pal account is under " chad86tsi@yahoo.com "  

Please specify turbo flange for mitsu, garrett T-3 or T-4 flange.   Also internal or external WG in your down payment.  there are no price differences, all versions will be $475 shipped UPS ground.  

If you whish to have it shipped to an alternate address from what is in your pay-pal address, let me know that as well.

For those getting external WG's I'll provide a generic feed tube coming off the collector and you can have that welded at any local shop, or you can send the flange to me and I'll put it on for $25.  Options or custom requests will have to be negotiated $$ via email or tel.  this would include things like EGT probe ports, or what ever else you may have in mind.

Any questions, feel free to ask here or at my email address above.  Order for the material will be places this coming week.

well looks like a go, there are 4 offical orders, and interest in another few.  I'm gonna tap the credit cards and get a comercial grade TIG to do the job.   These will be assembled using the highest grade tools available.   So far not including the TIG I've gotten over  $1000 in tooling for the job.

I need a couple more orders to cover the expence of the mandrel bends and flanges, but if I don't get there in this coming week, I'll just bite the bullet and buy the stuff on credit.  

I will inform all who have placed an order in person as to what their status is in the GP, I'll be making them in order and shippig when complete.

OK, heres the status as of 2-7-03

I got a new TIG to do the job (an industrial model) and will be practicing all weekend on a bunch of scrap 1-5/8" 304 I have left over from my prototypes.  I won't send one out till I get it just right.

I'm going to send the money for the material via pay-pal tomorow after I arrange the transfer at Kellys vendors end.  I expect to have material shortly there after.

I have ALL the tooling now, new carbide chop saw for perfect smooth stainless cuts, an industrial carbide hole drilling setup for the flanges, and all the welding material.

WE had a baby Wednesday night,  A healty, happy, beautiful BOY ;D ;D  

Between house work and baby care I expect to get things setup this coming week.  I'll be taking off from work and this project should get a good start.

I have down payments from

Rob L.  in NV

Kevin W. in OH

Erin S. in GA

Rob S. in NJ

I have several others whom are sendig payments as we speak, and a few others who are serious about getting onboard.  If you want in on this, the sooner the better, I ship in order of down payment.  Thanks for those who have gotten on board !!!

Chad, make sure you use a stainless brush if you plan to clean anything up, a standard steel bristle brush will have you pulling your hair out over impurities.

Also make sure you purge all the pipes with argon as your welding (cap both ends) otherwise you will run into the same problems we spoke of in our email conversation.

There is a paste that I use quite often that is a little nicer than the trouble of purging.

Be very careful of the closeness of the tungsten to your work, if it sticks, it's so f'ing hard you will have a very difficult time removing it/gouging it and refilling without contamination,

Keep the heat to the low/med settings, use the right fill material and make sure to Everdur all the flanges, or they will crack.

Once you get the hang of it, You'll have enough experience, I'm sure they will work out very well.

Take care

Shawn

im new at this ( posting pics on my own web site )so please show some mercy!

here is a pic of the header i only have a limitted ammount of use so, here it goes.

http://users.lvcm.com/starquest/ChadsHeade...sHeaderpics.htm

http://users.lvcm.com/starquest/ChadsHeader/MANIFOLD.jpg

Chad how difficult would it be to change  a manifold?  Lets say I get one of your manifolds for a stock setup and then a few years down the raod want to upgrade to a T4.  Could you make an addaptor plate and weld on an external wastegate flange?  Lastly how close will the turbo bolt up to the down pipe with your header?  In other words, do you think I could continue to use my down pipe or would I need to modify mine to work.  I'm running stock exhaust modified 20G and 3" down pipe.  

Oh and congrats on the new addition to the familly I hope you have a starquest waiting for him. :)

on the mitsu to garrett conversion, the flanges are hugely different in size, the T-4 is about twice the size, so making an adapter flange from mitsu to T-4 would really choke the T-4.  It would be better to go the other way, get a T-4 headder and bolt on a mitsu adapter.  I'd be willing to fab this up for you if you want (for a small fee ofcourse).  I could also weld in the WG dump tube and just cap it off so you could use it later when you upgrade.

OK, here's the web page I promiced long ago:

www.geocities.com/my86tsi/turboheadder.html

This is just basic info, feel free to ask more specific questions.

P.S.  While I was in there, I updated my intake page also:

www.geocities.com/my86tsi/intakeprojects.html

I just got the flange stock and the bends today.  I'll be setting up the Jigs for the flanges tonight and maybe cutting some of the bends as well.  I have the weekend set aside for major production.  If all goes well, I have a few of them done this weekend.