Bad Alternator?

Contsi

87 Quest ~70 K miles (completely stock)

Is it guaranteed bad alternator if  engine stops by disconnecting the battery?

Measuring batt voltage at terminals with car running (just under 12 v).

Fuse 13 and fuse link B looks good.

I have not disconnected/cleaned ground terminal from batt yet (figured I'd have starting issues if bad)

Batt light on dash is on w/car running

Brake light on dash is on with cat running and illuminates brighter if I actually pull the hand brake.

Alternator was rebuilt in 2008 (Still have receipt) Not sure what mileage was but was told it probably wouldn't fail again due to better components used.

Looks Like I'll have to pull it.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dan

5 hours ago, Contsis said:

Is it guaranteed bad alternator if  engine stops by disconnecting the battery?

Measuring batt voltage at terminals with car running (just under 12 v).

Yes; provided you're not shorting the positive/negative cables to each other, the engine should stay running with the battery removed. A battery with no load should be reading ~12.6 volts. While running, a functional alternator should bring that to 13-14 volts.
Not to make you feel old, but 2008 was 15 years ago; that's enough time for even a new alternator to fail, much less a remanufactured unit.

You can still get new and reman units for the stock 75 amp capacity, but if you're one of those guys running aftermarket cooling fans (like me), this would probably be a good time to look into a higher-amp unit provided your wiring isn't too hacked up. I recently upgraded to a 90 amp alternator from a 1995 Hyundai Accent with the 1.5l (Denso 2116012) and it works great. Had to reuse and drill out my old alternator pulley to 17mm, but otherwise it was a bolt-on upgrade.