'88 Wiring Harness Help

Not entirely sure if this forum is still active, but I recently picked up an '88 wiring harness to toss into my '87 and I got it and am entirely too confused on where to start. Electrical stuff doesn't really click for me, but I'm trying to figure out what connector goes to what and where to start. I can't find any diagrams labelling it so this might be a shot in the dark, but any help is greatly appreciated.

1 hour ago, Gunnarson said:

Not entirely sure if this forum is still active, but I recently picked up an '88 wiring harness to toss into my '87 and I got it and am entirely too confused on where to start. Electrical stuff doesn't really click for me, but I'm trying to figure out what connector goes to what and where to start. I can't find any diagrams labelling it so this might be a shot in the dark, but any help is greatly appreciated.

You working on engine or accessory harness?

Go here: www.starquestgarage .com  Click on service manuals, then click on 1988. Click on electrical 26. Then go to section 8 pages 32 to 44, that covers all the wiring harnesses in the car.

Edited by Caliber308

22 minutes ago, Gunnarson said:

I'm not a 100% sure, I do know that its the one that the ECU attaches to 😅

There are two connectors that plug into the ECU itself: B-37 and B-36.

Edited by Caliber308

4 hours ago, Gunnarson said:

I'm not a 100% sure, I do know that its the one that the ECU attaches to 😅

Ok so it's engine harness, not too bad.

If you can slip the two connectors for the ECU through the passenger fender first into the cabin, the rest of it should be pretty easy to route out correctly to the various sensors/devices.

3 hours ago, tux said:

Ok so it's engine harness, not too bad.

If you can slip the two connectors for the ECU through the passenger fender first into the cabin, the rest of it should be pretty easy to route out correctly to the various sensors/devices.

I should be able to put it through into the glove box and then work from there right? I'm super new to the whole "working on cars" thing right now, as this is the first real project I'm diving into and found an 87 that was pretty gutted for the racetrack

If you're gonna swap the harness you might want to consider doing a few things to the harness first 

1.) Remove all the old wire loom and install fresh loom/tape

2.) Remove any unnecessary wires for things you aren't going to use (purge valve, EGR, etc) by unpinning the specific component wires at the ECU connectors and deleting them from the harness.

3.) Check all the wiring for breaks, damaged insulation, good splices (if the components share circuits)

4.) Use a long coat hanger to pull the harness from the engine bay into the cabin while having an assistant help feed the harness through. 

5.) Check all grounds for corrosion and add some solder to the crimps between the wires and eyelets